C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trying to make an ultimate 'clutch choice' thread - opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 01:34 PM
tez_14_2000
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trying to make an ultimate 'clutch choice' thread - opinions needed

It seems to me that theres alot of different opinions on what clutch is best for these cars...
Personally im uping my HP quite a bit and it sound slike my stock clutch wont last.
So i thought a thread like this could answer not only my questions but other folks too.

Obviously every car is different with various ranges of TQ and HP.

But what i think would be good, is if we can get a general opinion on the best clutch for each power range say:

300-400RWHP
400-450RWHP
450-500RWHP
500-600RWHP
600+ RWHP

This way when someone is in need of clutch replacing, they should be able to find their power bracket, and have one or two recomended clutched to choose from.
as well as having a power bracket beside it, giving them a slightly stronger/weaker option etc...

Of course this will only work if everyones perfectly honest and doesnt get on like theyre clutch is the best on the world and can hold a million HP etc. lol

So, im thinking the best way to do this is to ask everyone for the following info and to put it in a post below... try not to make it TOO complicated... and long speaches you want to make about the clutch, put at the end under your general opinions section:

year and model of your vette
RWHP / RWTQ

Make and model of current clutch
Price / supplier

Opinions on:
Weight - how heavy the pedal is, close to stock? a little heavier?extremly heavy? etc
Bite - stock feel, ' a bit 'grabby' , Very 'grabby'? etc
Noise - if its a twin plate, maybe its V loud? etc
Reliability - How long has it lasted? did you have one of this make before, how long did it last? have you ever had one of these fail on you?

Over all performance and opinion of the clutch and anything else you thinks relavent?

IF everyone could simply convert the above into a post of simple, pointed information with a general conclusion at the end this could be a fairly handy thread for many years to come for C5 owners needing to upgrade their clutched.
Or at least thats what im hoping... lol

EG using a stock clutch:

--------------------------------------

2003 C5 z06 - LS6
374 RWHP / 382 RWTQ

Clutch - GM stock LS6
Supplier - Chevrolet / Tampa FL @ $600

Weight- Stock feel
Bite - V predictable/usable - stock feel
Noise - Quiet / stock volume
Reliabilty - V good, this is my second stock Chevy clutch, last one lasted 50,000 miles and have had no bad luck with this one currently at 24,000 miles.

Over all the GM clutch is V user friendly, And as far as my knowledge goes, V reliable, although over about 400 RWHP/TQ this clutch wont last. not cheap, but as far as clutches go for these cars, this one isnt too bad on the pocket! and if you shop around i know for a fact you can ge tit cheaper than what i paid for it. but as long as i keep my cars power close to what it is now, ill be sticking with stock GM clutch... v good indeed.

---------------------------------------

Obviously theres some rather stupidly obvious statments in there lol, and alot of crap too. lol ... but its JUST AN EXAMPLE OF THE TYPE OF THING WERE LOOKING FOR!

Heres hoping this works.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:14 PM
tez_14_2000
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no one? ..so much for that idea then. lol

Quick Reply: trying to make an ultimate 'clutch choice' thread - opinions needed