C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CompCams LS1 trunion upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 12:14 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default CompCams LS1 trunion upgrade?

Looks like CompCams has a DIY upgrade:

http://www.compcams.com/information/...yID=1508422545

How interesting is this? Are LS1 arms the same as LS6?
Old 10-01-2009, 12:18 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by billla

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...n-upgrade.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sear...rchid=12693880
Old 10-01-2009, 12:24 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Thanks; I missed the post. The second link (search) came up empty - but I get the point
Old 10-01-2009, 07:37 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

There are more F-Body products sold and those guys still think everything is LS1. Even though most of it is LS6 now.

so they still and most F-body parts companies call the products LS1.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:46 AM
0HinsonSuperCars
Former Vendor

Location: Birmingham, AL www.hinsonsupercars.com 205-909-9402
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by billla

Yes, the LS1 and LS6 rockers are the same.

Seth
Old 10-02-2009, 03:39 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I suggest holding off on the trunnion upgrade. I installed it in my rockers on sunday and discovered that the rocker arms now will not rotate without a lever in the bolt hole to help apply force. Needless to say I chose not to install the rockers in my heads. I have a feeling the bearing races crushed too much and pinched the needles. Either my rockers have too small a trunnion hole or the bearings comp uses are a bit too large o.d. I sent them all off to comp and waiting for them to reply.
Now, even if the upgrade worked as implied I would probably not do it again. In order to do it correctly it takes quite a bit of time to install. I am very meticulous in my work and made sure everything was perfect which may have been why it took so long, but its the only way I do things. If you are paying someone to do it I'd say you are better off purchasing a new set of quality rocker arms. The main reason I chose the upgrade initially is because I personally like the design and construction of the factory rocker arms.
I hope comp will make good on this. I did call hinson, whom I bought the parts from, as well and the said they would help me out if comp doesn't. Just kinda sucks because I am now pushing my project further back by at least a week. I was hoping to start my car soon.
-V
Old 10-05-2009, 11:40 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Comp said they fixed my rockers and sent them out today. I asked if I did anything wrong and they said no. The problem was the bearings were pressed in slightly too far and the kept the trunnion from rotating freely. Comp said the solution is to install as I did and they smack the trunnion on a steel table, both side, to loosen everything up. I suggested they pack some directions in the box as I would have never known to do that. I'll see how they turned out as soon as I get them. I won't install them if they are not as free as the factory rockers. Hopefully they are as the stock rocker arms are very well done pieces.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:57 PM
torkman15
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been running stock arms with a Comp cam over .600 lift at 7800 Rpms for over four years now and had zero troubles. I wont fix something that is not broken...
Old 10-11-2009, 02:57 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Recieved the rockers yesterday. They now are free to rotate so I will install them. The only thing I don't like is because of the snap ring design they can move side to side on the trunnion, but when installed that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:46 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Finally fired the motor last weekend and put about an hours worth of time on it. Everything works very well. I'll be on the track in the next couple weeks hopefully to see how my oil system upgrades work, but as far as the rocker upgrade I'd say thumbs up.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:27 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
I suggest holding off on the trunnion upgrade. I installed it in my rockers on sunday and discovered that the rocker arms now will not rotate without a lever in the bolt hole to help apply force. Needless to say I chose not to install the rockers in my heads. I have a feeling the bearing races crushed too much and pinched the needles. Either my rockers have too small a trunnion hole or the bearings comp uses are a bit too large o.d. I sent them all off to comp and waiting for them to reply.
Now, even if the upgrade worked as implied I would probably not do it again. In order to do it correctly it takes quite a bit of time to install. I am very meticulous in my work and made sure everything was perfect which may have been why it took so long, but its the only way I do things. If you are paying someone to do it I'd say you are better off purchasing a new set of quality rocker arms. The main reason I chose the upgrade initially is because I personally like the design and construction of the factory rocker arms.
I hope comp will make good on this. I did call hinson, whom I bought the parts from, as well and the said they would help me out if comp doesn't. Just kinda sucks because I am now pushing my project further back by at least a week. I was hoping to start my car soon.
-V
Curiousity on my part, when you pressed them in was the outer race even with the rocker or are they recessed? I don't have the kit but am wondering how one might prevent repeating your hard learned lesson.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:39 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

I don't remember, but when I talked to comp I installed everything properly. Basically press in all the way and after its all done smack each side of the trunnion ears on a hard metal surface. That frees them up just the right amount. I simply suggested they write up and include some directions. I rarely ever need directions, but that last step I didn't even consider.

Get notified of new replies

To CompCams LS1 trunion upgrade?

Quick Reply: CompCams LS1 trunion upgrade?