C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC is cool on Pasenger side but Hot on the driver side WHy is that

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 04:15 PM
emanila
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC is cool on Pasenger side but Hot on the driver side WHy is that

I have a 2001 Corvette, my AC use to work fine but now, the passenger side gets cool and my driver side stays very worm.. can someone tell my why its like this now?
Old 09-28-2009, 05:42 PM
dustinztx
Instructor

You could have an incorrectly calibrated HVAC actuator. Found this write-up. Good Luck!

http://vette.tnreeds.com/actuator/actuator.htm
Old 09-28-2009, 07:24 PM
NLKoerner
Instructor

Originally Posted by emanila
I have a 2001 Corvette, my AC use to work fine but now, the passenger side gets cool and my driver side stays very worm.. can someone tell my why its like this now?

After fighting with the same problem, the fix for me was a complete refill of gas then following this by MAESTRO300.

Masetro300 Quote:
"I'm curious... even though you have no codes... start the car and turn AC on... wait until passenger side gets cool. Now go to the codes/HVAC and hold reset.
Feel if the air DOES get ice cold on the driver's side before turning hot. This was my case (with no codes) meaning the actuator reported correctly but the door position was not correct. I noticed by resetting codes it WILL open the door fully momentarily."
Unqoute:

I tried it (note: I had no codes, but hot air on drivers side after full vacuum and refill.) All vents went full hot then all vents went full cold.
Problem fixed for me.
Good luck Norm
Old 09-29-2009, 12:17 AM
jraddington
Heel & Toe

Default Low Coolant

My 99 did this exactly when it was low on freon. I simply bought a can from my local auto parts store, followed the instructions and topped it off. The driver's side went ice cold instantly. I have the dual zone AC, I have read on the forum that when coolant is low the passenger side part of the coil is all that gets really cold. When the system is full the entire coil will get cold.

I have not had any issues with the dual zone system, and no error codes either. I would check the codes ( free ) and if you have none get a $20 can of freon to top it off.

As an aside, I have to add freon now every 6 months or so.... One of these days I will track down the leak and get it sealed up.

- Josh
Old 09-29-2009, 04:38 PM
Gimpala63n70
Instructor

Just read this, and I need to do it. Wow these cars are sensitive. Im rather angry that ill have to pull my actuator out an switch gears 2 teeth to the left and what not. Grr..
Old 09-29-2009, 05:00 PM
EStreeter
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My AC recently started doing the sae thing - running warmer on the drivers side compared to the passengers side. Took it to the dealer for repairs (car is under warranty) it was the actuator and the adjustment door pin was worn out or loose.

Works fine now. The repairs would have cost about $350 for parts and labor.

If it cools on one side but not the other, its not a freon charge issue.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:20 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by EStreeter
If it cools on one side but not the other, its not a freon charge issue.
Well don't say that.... It could be, its what was wrong with mine. Just added a few ounces and it fixed the problem until the motor swap, then a whole new problem arose
Old 09-29-2009, 09:36 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

IF you have a manual HVAC system, it is low freon. When freon is low, there is only enough to cool the air which flows through the passenger side of the coil.

If you have an automatic HVAC system (dual temperature control), it can be freon or the actuator.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:51 PM
2EZ 2SPD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is rare but mine has done this twice after I disconnected my battery I have to leave the battery disconnected over night to get it to work again.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:49 PM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Mine was freon.

Get notified of new replies

To AC is cool on Pasenger side but Hot on the driver side WHy is that

Quick Reply: AC is cool on Pasenger side but Hot on the driver side WHy is that