C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Battery drains if it sits a week?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 01:04 PM
vettedude521
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 Battery drains if it sits a week?

I dont drive my 99 C5 often. If I let it sit for a week or 10 days, the battery drains. (almost dead) Took it to a local Chevy dealer who checked the system and said it is within normal limits. Does anyone else have an opinion? Thanks
Old 09-27-2009, 01:08 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 300 Likes on 214 Posts

Make sure you keep the charge up. Mine did the same thing last winter and I am having column lock problems since then.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:19 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

It's very common on modern cars with so many memory functions to maintain. And every time your battery discharges, you're shortening the lifespan.

Make it a routine to keep your battery fully charged during periods of hibernation and non use, on a float maintenance charger. Most use BATTERY TENDER PLUS (by DELTRAN CORP) or the more high tech CTEK.

A float maintenance charger will only charge the battery until it's up to spec, then it goes into sleep mode. It won't harm your battery or car if you leave it on for months at a time. Mine stays on the car for six months of winter.

You can connect the charger with temporary alligator clips or more permanent ring terminals. A male/female connector easily disconnects the charger from the battery when you want to drive it.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:42 PM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
It's very common on modern cars with so many memory functions to maintain. And every time your battery discharges, you're shortening the lifespan.

Make it a routine to keep your battery fully charged during periods of hibernation and non use, on a float maintenance charger. Most use BATTERY TENDER PLUS (by DELTRAN CORP) or the more high tech CTEK.

A float maintenance charger will only charge the battery until it's up to spec, then it goes into sleep mode. It won't harm your battery or car if you leave it on for months at a time. Mine stays on the car for six months of winter.

You can connect the charger with temporary alligator clips or more permanent ring terminals. A male/female connector easily disconnects the charger from the battery when you want to drive it.
DITTO--I maintain my red top with a battery Tender Junior--works great and only 25.00
Old 09-27-2009, 09:51 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I use a battery tender for long periodsof not driving but had to do a current draw test recently when the wife's car started dying after only a couple of days.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...raw-issue.html
Old 09-27-2009, 10:20 PM
vettedude521
Instructor

Thanks everyone. I've heard the same thing from Chevrolet regarding the battery tender, just was'nt sure about it draining in 10 days Thanks
Old 09-28-2009, 12:03 AM
timemender
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vettedude521
Thanks everyone. I've heard the same thing from Chevrolet regarding the battery tender, just was'nt sure about it draining in 10 days Thanks
10-days to a dead battery is excessive drain. Take Patches’ advice and find the excess power drain.

My (stock electrically) 2000 can sit six weeks without a tender and start unassisted. I've never had occasion to let it sit for a longer period of time as it's not a garage queen - at least since I've owned it. The six-week period was over the winter months.

-
Old 09-28-2009, 09:26 AM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by timemender
10-days to a dead battery is excessive drain. Take Patches’ advice and find the excess power drain.

My (stock electrically) 2000 can sit six weeks without a tender and start unassisted. I've never had occasion to let it sit for a longer period of time as it's not a garage queen - at least since I've owned it. The six-week period was over the winter months.

-
Same with my 2000 coupe..........it's sat for over two months and still started / ran fine.........AC Delco replacement battery nearly four years ago.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:33 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

I know it sounds crazy, but be sure you didn't twist that interior dimmer **** all the way to the right (until it clicks). Even with everything off, with the switch in that position you induce a 300+mA draw which will kick your battery in the face with a golf shoe after a few days. I found that out the hard way!

BUT with the switch NOT in that position, I've left my '02 parked for as much as 40 days and she cranked right up.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:37 AM
Zer0vette
Instructor

I don't drive my 2002 for 3-4 weeks at a time and it starts right up no problem, no battery tender or charging needed. i have an ac delco professional series battery in my car.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:46 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you dont have an excessive draw,your battery is getting weak.How old is it?
Old 09-28-2009, 01:11 PM
waupachino
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rebelheart
If you dont have an excessive draw,your battery is getting weak.How old is it?
Just had to replace a year old Red Top doing the same thing. Once the Battery is weak, it will lose a charge faster.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:14 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,565 Likes on 2,164 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

If you don't drive the car regularly and when you do you "short trip", the battery gets progressively weaker. It's better for the battery and the engine to be driven up to full operating temp by taking a run on the highway for 20 or 30 miles. When you bring it home, put it on a good battery tender like the C=Tek 3300.

If your battery has discharged completely more than once I would start with a new battery. AC Delco 7 year Professional is an excellent battery.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:18 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Patches
I use a battery tender for long periodsof not driving but had to do a current draw test recently when the wife's car started dying after only a couple of days.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...raw-issue.html
Old 09-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,956 Likes on 5,345 Posts

I usually can go between 30 and 40 days without charging the battery. Longest time was one hard winter where I couldn't the car out of the garage for 2 months.

Bill
Old 09-28-2009, 04:03 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by vettedude521
Originally Posted by timemender

-

Mine would easily go a month w/o being started and it would start up without a problem. The battery is on its way out.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Battery drains if it sits a week?

Quick Reply: C5 Battery drains if it sits a week?