C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much does it cost for GM to unlock steering column?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 09:45 AM
chrisbenoit
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much does it cost for GM to unlock steering column?

I just had my car towed to GM because the steering column locked. I had the recall done but it obviously doesn't do much. I tried all the tricks in the book to unlock it myself but it didn't work. I was wondering how much should I expect to be charged to have it unlocked? Any ideas?
Old 09-26-2009, 10:43 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 76 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisbenoit
I just had my car towed to GM because the steering column locked. I had the recall done but it obviously doesn't do much. I tried all the tricks in the book to unlock it myself but it didn't work. I was wondering how much should I expect to be charged to have it unlocked? Any ideas?
An open discussion with the service manager will answer all these questions. Typically, the dealer will hit you for a minimum diagnostic fee, plus the number of hours to troubleshoot/repair, and parts. Labor rates vary depending on your location.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:36 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Crap shoot at best, $0-$1000's depending on the dealer.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:30 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I would not pay a dime for it as it's a defect in the product... and GM is responsible to make it right.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I'll guess $450-500.00 for another feeble attempt by the dealer. They will prob say you need a new CL actuator or a new K-harness. Unfortunately the problem will still remain after bleeding your wallet dry. You shouldve just kept the car and yank the steering wheel to unlock it. It will work, you just needed more time to do it.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by ajg1915
I would not pay a dime for it as it's a defect in the product... and GM is responsible to make it right.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:45 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

If you cannot get the pin to retract, one sure way to unlock the column is to remove the lockplate.
Once you get the steering column exposed, you can also tap directly on the column lock actuator instead of just jerking the wheel, and most likely you will be able to get the pin to retract.

Once the pin has retracted, and the lockplate has been removed, you can install a column lock bypass relay to simulate the actuator.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:16 AM
Mike99FRC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When this happened to me I yanked the wheel left and right hard to break it free. Once it's free I would take the car from the dealership and drive it home. Then order the CLB and be done with it.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:35 AM
83Camaro
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ikester
I agree, i had a yelling match with the local chevy here, GM simply doesnt care, bottom line. Its important to them to fix it once, then after that your on your own, even if it is a safety recall. No wonder theyve crashed and burned, super piece of **** customer service.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:04 PM
ncvettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GM has been very successful in dodging their full responsibility on this recall. Reps are telling dealers that it's ok to charge a diagnostics fee, where in fact it's not ok. Dealers are of the opinion that if any one of the SCL recalls have been performed, GM has met their obligation and the dealership can now charge for those repairs. Wrong again. The ONLY time a dealership should charge a diagnostic fee is if the steering column lock system is functioning normally at the time of initial evaluation and after all recalls have been done. GM also states that ANY vehicle in the dealerships possession for either sales or service that has a defective column lock system should not be allowed to leave their lot until it is properly functioning (I don't recall the exact quote). This is not because they are the 'recall good guys'. It's because the steering column has been known to lock while the vehicle is in operation. This, according to GM. Simply a CYA move. The latest recall is 4006C.

It goes on and on and is a pretty good read when you see all the pieces.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:50 PM
timmyj
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
If you cannot get the pin to retract, one sure way to unlock the column is to remove the lockplate.
Once you get the steering column exposed, you can also tap directly on the column lock actuator instead of just jerking the wheel, and most likely you will be able to get the pin to retract.

Once the pin has retracted, and the lockplate has been removed, you can install a column lock bypass relay to simulate the actuator.
Could you elaborate on the lockplate removal procedure, please?
Old 06-19-2012, 08:56 PM
98DC231
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Cool, so he can let the car sit at the dealer all summer while he fights it out with GM.

OP, too bad you're not close or I would take care of it for you.

Talk to the service manager and be aware of the costs before you let them touch it.
Old 05-02-2023, 03:45 PM
Cekter
1st Gear

Default The dealership was trying to charge me $975 to fix the steering column lock

Gm dealership said they would fix for $975 for a 19997 c5
Old 05-02-2023, 05:04 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Is that in 2012 money or 2023 money?
The following users liked this post:
Tusc (05-09-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 07:32 PM
ncali
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

The same people that made the LMC5 also made an unlock kit that anybody can do
Tusc (05-09-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 08:18 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by timmyj
Could you elaborate on the lockplate removal procedure, please?
This is what the "lockplate" looks like, on it's backside. The gaps in the inner circle around the ring, are the "detents" that the locking pin engages. Although I have since installed an LMC5 in my car, back when the car was fairly new, and the locking problems first appeared, I bought a second lock plate, chucked it in a lathe, and trimmed off the area between the gaps, therefore preventing the locking pin from being able to lock the steering wheel in position. Granted, the 5 MPH "speed limit", that is programmed into the car could have still kicked in, at least I could still move and/or steer the car.

If, for some reason, you were to choose this "modification", or something similar, you need either this lockplate, or something similar in thickness, to take up the "slack" that would be present in the steering column, if you tried to simply remove it, and just reinstall the steering wheel.

Old 05-06-2023, 05:35 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by Cekter
Gm dealership said they would fix for $975 for a 19997 c5
And you can buy a LCM5 for $50 bucks.

Tusc (05-09-2023)
Old 05-08-2023, 01:55 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Local Chev dealer performed the "C" version of the recall on my car for free, after a bit of nagging. They had to get approval to do it. This would have been 2012 or thereabouts.

BTW the way I got it loose was to get the battery fully charged, then turn the charger to boost and turn the key. That "pop" of extra voltage did the trick. No problems since that C recall, as it removes the locking mechanism completely. And yes, I can turn the wheel with no key in the lock.

Get notified of new replies

To How much does it cost for GM to unlock steering column?

Quick Reply: How much does it cost for GM to unlock steering column?