C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vararam VR-B2 intake..... GOOD or BAD??

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 01:37 PM
redbeast215
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vararam VR-B2 intake..... GOOD or BAD??

So A shop called breathless performance looked at my car and fixed a complicated electrical problem today. When they finished they gave me a couple of suggestions. They said to get rid of the vararam intake because it takes in water to the engine when it rains, also any garbage that gets near it. If that happens it could cease the motor or blow. Is this accurate??????
Old 09-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Renegade00
Racer

Is breathless performance the same company that makes the breathless intake?

If so, of course they are going to say that!

I don't think I've heard of anybody having issues sucking up water with a vararam, of course if you drive through some deep standing water I'm sure it would.

From what I've read the VR is the best performing CAI available.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:53 PM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One of the dumbest things I have heard! Your bottom feeding Corvette is far more likely to ingest things from the road surface than a foot up in the airstream.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:33 PM
redbeast215
Cruising

Default Thanks renegade

No it isn't the same company they just work on corvettes they're not a manufacturer i don't think. It's called breathless performance products in Ft.Lauderdale FL on 2070-F Tigertail Boulevard. They said its warped because your not supposed to see the ground between the intake and the big box looking thing behind it. They said it should be sealed. Also you can see my intake openings from my bumper because it is a custom bumper so maybe thats why they said water can get in.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:35 PM
redbeast215
Cruising

Default Rebel could you elaborate what you mean

im not to sure what you were trying to get across to me
Old 09-21-2009, 05:48 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did not have any problem with vararam, it performs good, my only complaint with V2 is cheap quality and pain to install, but its 40% cheaper than honker, otherwise my choice is Honker.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:58 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Mine works just fine. I'd have a Honker but I got the Vararam for free.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:16 PM
ChromeC5
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

My Vararam has worked very well for me. The previous owner installed it, so I did not have to deal with that, plus he added Z06 screens which keep the crap and bugs out, so I do not have to worry about that.

The only way to get water up and into the engine is to fully submerge both intakes in water, otherwise it will never get up there.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:23 PM
Highway Hawk
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ChromeC5
My Vararam has worked very well for me. The previous owner installed it, so I did not have to deal with that, plus he added Z06 screens which keep the crap and bugs out, so I do not have to worry about that.

The only way to get water up and into the engine is to fully submerge both intakes in water, otherwise it will never get up there.

I've been through several torrential rainstorms including Carlisle this year and in '07 and have had no issues with the Vararam.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:15 PM
RockJustBelow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought and installed VR-B2 and like it very much. It was a pain to install and the quality is ok...they certainly have room from improvement there. I also installed the Z06 screens mainly to keep the big stuff out. I have to admit I went on the advice of the guys at ECS so I didn't do a lot of research...they know better than me anyway

Old 09-21-2009, 07:24 PM
CG C5
Advanced

I just installed mine maybe a month and a half ago. I had no difficulties installing it. From start to finish was less than 3 hours and with this intake and a catback Borla I ran a 12.9 1/4 mile.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:35 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

The Vararam is a great unit! It takes a while to install, but it's well worth it.

It looks like the company you're talking about is the same that makes the intake. http://www.breathlessperformance.com/contact_us.htm

Keep what you got.

Last edited by JW Motorsports; 09-21-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:36 PM
DevilMan02
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a well documented complaint floating on this board somewhere concerning the lack of Vararams ability to produce a quality product.

Here's my in-your-face opinion about the product. Forgive me Mods if you dislike my language:

The overall product is a piece of ****. Period. It's two halves of plastic glued together by what I presume to be an imbred half wit with a cleft hand.

Don't worry about anything being sucked up from the front because Vararam ensures such a poor seal to the coupler that air will be sucked in from around the crappy foam they supply (and expect you to cut and fit yourself btw).

I do like their concept. It's just horridly executed. I would love to be part of their Q/A team and stamp FAIL on 90% of their f*%King products.

I ended up fixing much of it on my own. I live in south florida where torrential downpours are quite frequent. I've had SUVs and Pickups throw water OVER my hood and I've had zero problems with water intake. I do NOT believe that their amazing water shedding technology (Merely a HOLE drilled into both sides of each duct!) does anything of value.

However I did put up screens in front of the unit to hide the hiddeous look of the ducts and also to help cut down some of the foreign objects that get in there (plastic bags, small children, etc).

Nice system but it's only worth 100-150 bucks max in my honest opinion. a 5th grade woodshop class could make a better product.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:40 PM
whiteboy572ci
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had mine for 1.5yrs driven in heavy rain from middle Ga to the coast and NEVER had a problem.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:11 PM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The corvette stock air intake and most others than Vararam get their air supply from beneath the car,just like your radiator does,that is what I was referring to,redbeast.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:29 PM
RogerT
Pro

I installed the Vararam B2 on my coupe 2 1/2 years ago along with the Z06 front bumper screens.

Installation time was about 3 hours. Product quality was good.
Anyone with average machanical skills can do the installation.

I am pleased with the peformance increase.
Rain has never been a problem.

Roger T
Old 09-21-2009, 10:36 PM
redbeast215
Cruising

Default great stuff guys...thanks

i used to have a honda...well i still do but its my daily driver and i never got feedback like i do on the vette forums. I will never get another import only american from here on out

Get notified of new replies

To Vararam VR-B2 intake..... GOOD or BAD??

Old 09-22-2009, 01:21 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

My two halves of plastic are glued fine. I agree the finished look in the fog light area looks like crap, so I dremeled it and cleaned it up. Later I added chrome grilles and not screens. To me the screens look cheesy. So you can't see the intakes. Water is never an issue. I realize I'm driving a car and not a submarine plus I have whats called common sense which enables me to determine if I really wanna drive into that lake or not.

All kidding aside though I do have a huge issue with the VR. Their gasket/foam seal for the air filter is pure trash and uneffective. To me it is imperative that all VR users should silicone the filter into the upper half to stop the sand, dirt, and grass from bypassing the filter.

It's the only true 100% cold air intake available so you have to live with it.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:26 PM
coanan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One day I'll document my install. It's true that none of the pieces that hold it together are drilled the same, including the foam. The wedge piece they supply to bolt them together is pathetic. Maybe I got the reject. I made a one piece plastic plate that I rivited on top the two horns to make a one piece transition for the filter. Even offered up the design to Vararam with no response. Too lazy to produce the mod myself. I've had the stock system and the Blackwing and really like the Vararam now, keeps the IATs about 30 degrees cooler.
If that's your car with the Tigershark bumper in your profile, I don't think the VR will mate to the bumper

Last edited by coanan; 09-22-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:19 PM
BrianAgar
Intermediate

Default V2 Questions

The provided gasket holes do not line up with the for screws where the two intakes bolt together. It's this common?

What or why is there a hole on the left side off the air box?

Thanks in advance to whomever can shed some light.

Quick Reply: Vararam VR-B2 intake..... GOOD or BAD??