C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Battery replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 11:32 AM
2003vert
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default First Battery replacement.

Getting ready to replace the battery in the 03. Is there anything that I should watch out for or do different than a normal car battery replacement???? and yes I have decided to stay Delco. Thanks!
Old 09-15-2009, 11:52 AM
timemender
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When you pull the battery out, carefully inspect the area under the battery tray for damage from acid leakage to the main computer (PCM, TAC modules, & related wiring).

Do not over tighten the battery cables on the battery (11-ft lbs) and install an inexpensive acid-absorbing mat under the battery. These acid absorbing mats are available at your local auto parts store.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:00 PM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Get an OPTIMA red top and never worry about battery acid--
Old 09-15-2009, 12:07 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by timemender
When you pull the battery out, carefully inspect the area under the battery tray for damage from acid leakage to the main computer (PCM, TAC modules, & related wiring).

Do not over tighten the battery cables on the battery (11-ft lbs) and install an inexpensive acid-absorbing mat under the battery. These acid absorbing mats are available at your local auto parts store.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:15 PM
2003vert
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I do not need to worry about the computer or anything else going ( Bad / South) during the time that I have the old battery out of the car and the new one installed??/ Thanks
Old 09-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Tyler valo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003vert
So I do not need to worry about the computer or anything else going ( Bad / South) during the time that I have the old battery out of the car and the new one installed??/ Thanks
Some GM's have the radio security thing going on....mine has an aftermarket though.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:56 PM
2KFRC5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bobby777
Get an OPTIMA red top and never worry about battery acid--
Riiiiight!
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...a-red-top.html
Old 09-15-2009, 02:26 PM
bestvettever
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New Battery

Hi, I agree with most of the above, use absorbing mat for precaution, make sure that the connections are clean and tight, that the cable bolts are the right size and that they do not bottom before the connection is tight, also that the rubber boot on the cable is not caught between the cable and terminal of the battery. If your radio security is enabled, you want to disable it before disconnecting the power, it is a real pain to get it back running if you disconnect power before disabling the security feature. The owners manual has instructions. I changed my battery on my 03 vert 2 summers ago, and I had no issues with the computers or any lost settings. The battery was out of the car for about an hour. My preference was the AC Delco that is made for the car, others have different opinions. You'll hear some clicking noises from some of the relays in the engine area upon disconnecting and reconnecting, this is normal.
Good Luck
Old 09-15-2009, 03:17 PM
timemender
Burning Brakes

Sorry – forgot about the OEM Delco radio and its anti-theft lock. :o

The antitheft feature may or may not be activated.

If the little red light on the radio blinks on & off while the ignition is turned off, the radio antitheft is armed.

See your owner’s manual for further information. If needed, there is a somewhat complicated procedure to reactivate the radio. Let the forum know if you need it done.

There are no other electrical concerns with battery removal/disconnection. Any computer systems (Engine controls) that are affected by a disconnected battery have an automatic “relearn” during the first few miles driven.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:36 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,565 Likes on 2,164 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

If you can install it in under 5 minutes you will retain most of your pre-sets. The computer will re-learn your driving style almost immediately once you start driving it.

Get notified of new replies

To First Battery replacement.

Quick Reply: First Battery replacement.