C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Improved Stock Driving Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 05:37 PM
byoung7
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Improved Stock Driving Lights

I am not sure if anyone has done this, but I thought I would share my latest up-grade.

I had the stock driving lights out while I was installing the vented surrounds around the lights. While I had them out I was looking at how dirty the glass lens were. I was never really happy with the performance of these even with new Sylvania Ultra bulbs. After inspecting how the assemblies where made, I saw how the lens could be removed. I removed the lens and cleaned the lens - amazing the difference it made. Also here it the big part! While I had the lens out I saw why the performance of these were so bad. It looks like GM had to meet so lighting codes or something - as there was a deflector installed that prevented the light beam from coming straight out. The deflector basically covered the upper portion of the light beam. It was very easy to remove. So I removed this deflector from both lights and gave it a test drive - OMG what a difference. I can actully see with these now - much much better. I did turn them down slightly as to not blind the oncoming traffic.

Here are some of the mechanics for this change;

To remove the lens - This is held in by a retaining cover. This cover has two clips located 180 degree from each other. These clips pry up easily with a small screw driver or fingernail. Just be careful no to snap them off. Once the clips are lifted the retaining cover can easily be removed. It may take a little wiggling as there may be some silicone holding it on. Once the retaining cover is off you will see the edge of the lens. Here you need to run a razor blade around the parimeter to cut the silicone that is holding the lens in. I went around the lens several times to make sure there was a good cut in the seal. After this step I took a very thin flat screw driver and started to pry the lens up. You want to work all around the edge of the lens before you try to pry up completely. You will feel the silicone seal "give" as you start prying up. If it is not lifting up, you may have to do some more cutting. Once the lens starts to lift high enough just twist it the rest of the way out.

Now that the lens is out you will see the deflector inside the housing. To remove this take a small screwdrive and place it on one end of the deflector and tap it down. I used the edge of another screwdrived to tap the one that was on the endge of the deflector. Becareful no to slip off the deflector or you may scratch the reflective coating inside. After the one side is out, just move over and do the other side and the deflector will be out. Remove it from the housing and you are ready to put the lens back in.

Before you put the lens back in, you need to clean out all the silicone sealant arounf the groove of the housing. You want to do this to ensure you get a good seal when the lens is replaced. I used a razor blade and small screwdrive to clean out the old sealant. Once all the old sealant is out, you want to put a small bead of silicone around the edge of the housing to seal the lens back in. Just press the lens into the silicone and wipe up any extra that comes out after pressing in. You want to be carefull not to put too much on the edge becasue it will push in under the lens as well an block the light beam. After the lens is sealed back in, replace the retaining cover and made sure both clips are engaged. To be sure everything is sealed, I ran another thin bead of silicone around the end of the retaining cover. The lights are now ready to be installed back in the car.

I don't have any pictures for this, as it wasn't something I was planning on doing during this porject - sorry. It really is a easy upgrade though.

I hope this helps someone.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

First, these are fog lights, NOT driving lights.

Second, they have that shield in there to give them a sharp cutoff. These fog lights are projection lamps and have an exceptional sharp cutoff and work well with HID bulbs.

What you did was ruin the lights. They should now BLIND anyone ! They will extend up more than high-beam lights.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:38 PM
mischiefse7en
Instructor

Originally Posted by byoung7
Destroyed Stock Driving Lights
fixed it for you
Old 09-12-2009, 08:36 PM
byoung7
Advanced

Ok so my terms were not to your liking - so now I have UPGRADED my once fog lights into great driving lights. In no way are they destroyed - everything can be put back to original if I so please - and for the improvement I have seen - I don't know why I would go back!! Your right they did have a sharp cut-off - so sharp they were terrible as lights. Maybe they would be fine with HIDs but I didn't go that route. I know with upgraded halogens they still weren't even worth turning on! Now I can enjoy utilizing the sharp beam of light they transmit. As for blinding anyone - I haven't been flashed once! They have a nice crisp beam directed right to the road - no stray beams that are like a high beam of even close. Not sure if this was tried by those that commented so far - but I don't see the negativity they indicated!! Everyone has there own opinion - mine is to be able to see the road better and that is what I have done with this UPGRADE!
Old 09-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Pull up against a garage or wall and look at your "fog lights pattern", you will see what I mean. These projectors put out a WIDE BEAM of light, covering close to the car up to the straight edge (which should be just below your low beams).

I have no doubt that you can see better now, but you are blinding on-coming drivers. You are driving with the equivalent of FLOOD LIGHTS on your car. Driving lights are "spot lights".

Short of HIDs, a lot of people upgrade the bulbs from 37 watt to 50 watt, I did this and with re-aiming, the fog lights work okay.

It's not that your "terms were not to [my] liking", here are the facts:

Fog Lights = wide/broad beam of light, extending from front of car to below low beams (so they don't reflect in the rain, snow, or fog). Used with low beam headlights.

Driving Lights = pencil thin light, extending straight ahead, past high beam headlights. Used with high beam lights.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:04 PM
byoung7
Advanced

I'm not looking to get into a word battle - I do agree with alot of what your saying. I always use the wall trick to align the beams - but after reading your input will go back and check it our again. You did mention again blinding on coming cars - I don't feel this is happening though. Even on wet roads - I haven't been flashed or anything from on coming cars. I will get a friend to drive in the opposite direction to see the outcome. All I can say is I do like the outcome (at least so far) of the light output of this change. And like I mentioned this can easily be put back to the original configuration. Thanks for sharing a your viewpoint and comment. I am always willing to listen to others as by no means an I an expert in any of this. Just enjoying the fun world of Corvettes - this is why I love this forum. You can get alot of different views on topics - thanks.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Well stated, you are certainly welcome. I was only trying to explain to you why they are designed that way. You obviously have an open mind. Good luck with your modifications.

BTW, I was born and raised in York, PA. Later my parents moved to Lancaster, then back to York. Great area, I miss the mountains of PA.

Last edited by Oldvetter; 09-12-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:45 PM
byoung7
Advanced

Thanks for the comments. PA is nice - I am in Amish country. I see your from MD, will you be attending the OC, MD show?
Old 09-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by byoung7
Thanks for the comments. PA is nice - I am in Amish country. I see your from MD, will you be attending the OC, MD show?
Yes, I have a Condo in Ocean City (right on the Boardwalk) and I attend it each year. I don't think it is as good the last couple years as in the past. Less of the wild custom cars and less vendors. There are still an amazing amount of Vettes in town for this and the parade of cars on the Boardwalk goes on for hours.

As I said, my parents lived in Lancaster, so I had a lot of Amish around there. I was surprised to see that there are Amish in Maryland near me in Saint Mary's County. In fact, I am picking up some solid wood furniture from some of them next week. They just don't make furniture like that anymore, at least not commercially.

Last edited by Oldvetter; 09-12-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:56 PM
c5blkvetteguy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a fog light lens that had a vey large chip/chunk out of it. When I purchased a truck for the winter I noticed it had some aftermarket fog lights that looked just like mine on the vette. The fog lights on the truck did not work so I thought I would take the lens out and replace my broken one. When I was done I turned the fogs on and...the lens that looks clear shines yellow. I thought it was a nice look so I replaced the other one to match. So now my fog lights have a yellow beem of light insted of the clear.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:56 PM
Jacks02
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

In view of the Oldvetter-byoung7 exchange, how about you two doing a family get-together and hug-fest at the condo?
Old 09-17-2009, 07:49 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Use 885 bulbs and you can almost trash your headlights

885s fit exactly, are about 50% brighter, won't melt the plastic and are a very inexpensive way to improve visibility. I use them with and without the headlights. I did't remove the light deflector but did aim them up so that they are approximately equal to the headlights. You can reaim them by parking about 15 or 20 feet from a light surface like a garage door and use a Torx driver thru the opening in the front. They will only adjust up and down not left or right.BIGHANK
Old 09-20-2009, 12:47 AM
S76HeliPilot
Instructor

Boy, you guys are tough!
Guys have been putting PIAA DRIVING lights in these things for years that will blind you if improperly aimed and nobody jumps all over them.
I am having a hard time believing those monster 37 watt bulbs even if pointed right at you are going to "blind" anybody.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:16 AM
mischiefse7en
Instructor

I bet if u take a flashlight and shine it in your eyes you wont be able to see a whole lot of anything, and a flashlight is around 5 watts btw.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:59 AM
S76HeliPilot
Instructor

You're right. In a dark room at 3 ft.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:02 AM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mischiefse7en
I bet if u take a flashlight and shine it in your eyes you wont be able to see a whole lot of anything, and a flashlight is around 5 watts btw.
Removing the "baffle" creates "flood lights" which project a 360 degree light pattern. You can see the light from anywhere in front of the car. Looking straight into any light at night, when your eyes are adjusted for night vision, can "blind" you momentarily. It is not good for blinded people to be driving cars !

I would expect a Helicopter Pilot to know about "night vision".

Last edited by Oldvetter; 09-20-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:25 AM
S76HeliPilot
Instructor

The OP did say he adjusted them to ease your concerns.

"I did turn them down slightly as to not blind the oncoming traffic."

We could argue this all day, I just don't see the big concern.

BTW, You have no idea what I know or don't know.

Get notified of new replies

To Improved Stock Driving Lights

Quick Reply: Improved Stock Driving Lights