C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EBCM Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 07:18 PM
ytwokc5
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This place is great. Thanks to the contributors in this thread for helping me resolve my ABS/TCS/AH amber warning lights. I had the C1243 BMPV pump motor stalled error, no other codes. I removed the harness that grounded the EBCM, BMPV, that was a PITA to pull apart, no corrossion. I moved on to pulling the EBCM. I had seen quite a few good writeups about how to diagnose EBCM issues, but the devil is in the detals. Most of the writeups were for 2001 and newer vettes. FASST LN and LonestarFRC's input was particularly helpful as I have a 2000 coupe. Pulling my EBCM and energizing the BMPV proved to be the fix. Definitely going to change my brake fluid, it's time!

It really is a bear to get the EBCM off. I didn't remove any radiator hoses, and I did not unbolt the bolts on the driver's side to lift the BMPV out of the cradle, I just could'nt get anything in there to turn the nuts! There was enough give to let me rock the BMPV back towards the left side of the car and get the middle bottom bolt off of the EBCM. My arms look like I've been picking berries in a pricker patch all day!

Getting everything back together was much easier. I started my car, no lights... but it bucked and stalled.... uh oh... what now. Turns out I forgot to reconnect the air bridge... doh! Reconnected the air bridge, took her for a spin and everything works like a charm. I have started the car probably half a dozen time since putting everything back together and no codes. Definitely worth the effort.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:40 PM
csc67
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dup

Last edited by csc67; 03-20-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:40 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Now that its working and the pump motor is free to spin, take every opportunity to exercize the pump. When ever the streets are wet and its safe, I brake hard enough to engage the anti lock brakes and or Active Handling if you have that option. That way, it will remain free to spin.

Get that brake fluid changed!
Old 03-20-2010, 07:43 PM
csc67
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ytwokc5,

Did your code 1243 ONLY appear when you started the car?

Have you engaged your ABS since energizing the BPMV? If no, engage your ABS several times and report back your findings

Thanks

Chris
Old 03-21-2010, 08:12 AM
ytwokc5
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by csc67
ytwokc5,

Did your code 1243 ONLY appear when you started the car?

Have you engaged your ABS since energizing the BPMV? If no, engage your ABS several times and report back your findings

Thanks

Chris
I only had 1243 upon car start, never had it appear due to braking. Like most it started appearing intermittently, i.e. ABS,TC, AH warning would light with some starts, and mysteriously disappear with other starts. Eventually it came on 99 out of 100 starts starting last fall.

I have not engaged ABS since energizing my BMPV, but I will report back after I do. What did you end up doing with your EBCM?
Old 03-21-2010, 10:35 PM
FASST LN
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 01-24-2016, 08:49 PM
uncle wilson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got to pull mine
Old 02-22-2018, 05:30 PM
RT8827
4th Gear

Default disconnect EBCM wire harness

Originally Posted by trussme
The procedure for replacing the EBCM..... The only special tool you need is a T-20 Torx screwdriver.
I have a Craftsman tool set that has a 1/4" drive screwdriver with and adapter for many different size bit. Unfortunately, the adapter was too long to fit between the EBCM and water pump, so I purchased a set of Craftsman 5 pc. Torx screwdriver set that worked fine. A flathead screwdriver may also be needed to pry apart the EBCM from the BPMV
1 - make sure the car is off.
2 - You will probably need to remove the air bridge to get to the EBCM.
3 - Remove the wire harness by first removing the white plastic clip that locks it in place (I cut it off and replaced it with a zip-tie) , then lift gray handle and pull back on the wire harness . At this point, you will be able to see the second wire connection that is removed by pulling down EBCM.
Greetings! New forum member here, near Phoenix, AZ. I recently bought my first Corvette. It's a 2001 C5 coupe (base model), 6-speed, 123k miles. When I bought it, the previous (original) owner stated that the EBCM needed to be replaced since it was causing the dash errors for ABS, traction control, and active handling. However, I've found several vendors (including one near Phx) who will fix my existing unit for under $100. I've read countless posts about the problematic EBCM and am attempting to remove it myself, so I can send it in for repair. I've removed the air bridge and the four outer-corner Torx bolts from the EBCM. Before I remove the middle two Torx bolts, I know I need to disconnect the electrical plug. This is where I'm stuck because mine won't budge.

As noted in the instructions above, I have already removed the white plastic clip and lifted the gray handle (all the way... it can't go any further up). When I pull back on the wire harness, though, it acts like it's still hanging up on something. I'm afraid I'll break it. In RJ Smith's excellent write-up on EBCM replacement, he says, "pull the release handle up and slide a thin screwdriver in the gap between the connector base and the EBCM. It does not take much pressure to ease it off." However, I can't see where the connector base ends and the EBCM begins... the potential entry point for a small screwdriver. Any words of wisdom for getting the connector to separate? Thanks in advance!
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2018, 05:36 PM
FASST LN
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Man this is an old post.
I just wanted to mention that my issue (code 1243 I believe) which I battled for several years, was related to a bad wheel speed sensor connector.
I noticed I could clear the code and it would stay gone for a little while. One thing that would trigger it would be a bump in the road. I figured out which wheel sensor seemed to be the problem (think it was driver's left) and bent the metal clips in the female side of the speed sensor a bit so it made a good connection with the male part. Never had a problem since then and that includes about 5 trips to the road course.

In short, I never had to remove my EBCM.

Good luck!
Old 02-22-2018, 07:52 PM
RT8827
4th Gear

It took more force than I would have wanted/expected, but I successfully removed the large connector from the EBCM. I essentially used a small block with a large screwdriver as a 'lever' to pry it off. It jumped off, with a bit of a popping sound, but it doesn't appear anything broke. After 17 years of unmolested connection, it simply didn't want to separate.

I proceeded to remove the smaller wiring plug, without issue, and the remaining Torx bolts. The EBCM is now removed and will be en route to the repair facility tomorrow. My fingers are crossed that the repaired EBCM will eliminate the error codes from my instrument panel!

I'm anxious for the re-installation of this EBCM, but I've got a week or two until I have to deal with it. It seems the EBCM re-install has gone more smoothly for others than the removal, so I hope that's my experience, too.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:13 PM
awches
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

To me , the center ones were the hardest to get back in. I even lost one never to be found again. ;-) But, I had put a light coat of silicone seal on the mating surface before putting it back together so have not concerned myself of getting another. To do that over again, I would either magnetize the heck out of my torque x bit or jam it with paper or tape before attempting to get it in there.
Around 4 K miles since resoldering the resistors and no problems yet.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:29 PM
65badass
1st Gear

Originally Posted by RT8827
Greetings! New forum member here, near Phoenix, AZ. I recently bought my first Corvette. It's a 2001 C5 coupe (base model), 6-speed, 123k miles. When I bought it, the previous (original) owner stated that the EBCM needed to be replaced since it was causing the dash errors for ABS, traction control, and active handling. However, I've found several vendors (including one near Phx) who will fix my existing unit for under $100. I've read countless posts about the problematic EBCM and am attempting to remove it myself, so I can send it in for repair. I've removed the air bridge and the four outer-corner Torx bolts from the EBCM. Before I remove the middle two Torx bolts, I know I need to disconnect the electrical plug. This is where I'm stuck because mine won't budge.

As noted in the instructions above, I have already removed the white plastic clip and lifted the gray handle (all the way... it can't go any further up). When I pull back on the wire harness, though, it acts like it's still hanging up on something. I'm afraid I'll break it. In RJ Smith's excellent write-up on EBCM replacement, he says, "pull the release handle up and slide a thin screwdriver in the gap between the connector base and the EBCM. It does not take much pressure to ease it off." However, I can't see where the connector base ends and the EBCM begins... the potential entry point for a small screwdriver. Any words of wisdom for getting the connector to separate? Thanks in advance!
where does the other end of that plastic separator zip tie go or plug into? removed my radiator and started to replace my water pump and seen it was just hanging there looks like it was plugged into something but dont see anything obvious... any help would be appreciated thanks

Quick Reply: EBCM Removal