C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seafomed and now its worse.......

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:15 PM
vsocks1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gideon's_Test
A mechanic, using a TECH2 can look at the long term and short term fuel trim values...At idle, they should be between -8 & +8. If they are greater than -8 & +8, then bring the engine up to between 2500-3000 RPM's...If the fuel trims come back to the -8 & +8 range, there is a vacuum leak...
I am not doubting your theory here at all, just trying to understand what is happening here. So....can you explain why this happens from a vacuum leak?
Old 08-25-2009, 11:20 PM
froman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bring ur car by and ill hook the hptuners up and see what ur fuel trims are at. Finding a vac leak is not hard.... we can inspect all ur connections and see if its leaking.. if not i got some carb cleaner we can spray to look for bubbling/ suction.

Anyways, bring ur car over and we can do plugs and ill use my long screwdriver to listen where the ticking is coming from (the real mechanics stethoscope)

Also wanna hear that xpipe that i sold ya.

Last edited by froman; 08-25-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:26 AM
Gideon's_Test
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vsocks1
I am not doubting your theory here at all, just trying to understand what is happening here. So....can you explain why this happens from a vacuum leak?
I'll do my best, so bear with me ...
Ok, assume that you have a certain airflow through the vacuum leak (these #'s are just for example and not representative of actual airflows), lets say 10 CFM...The car idles with 50 cfm through the TB...That means that 20% of the intake air is unmetered, which will result in a lean condition, which the STFT & LTFT tries to compensate for. You then raise the RPM to 3000. The vacuum leak goes up a bit, to 20cfm, and the TB sees 300cfm...Now, the vacuum leak represents only 7% unmetered air. The vehicle will now run less lean, requiring less LTFT & STFT correction...
Old 08-26-2009, 09:22 AM
cgilbert23
Instructor

Originally Posted by froman
bring ur car by and ill hook the hptuners up and see what ur fuel trims are at. Finding a vac leak is not hard.... we can inspect all ur connections and see if its leaking.. if not i got some carb cleaner we can spray to look for bubbling/ suction.

Anyways, bring ur car over and we can do plugs and ill use my long screwdriver to listen where the ticking is coming from (the real mechanics stethoscope)

Also wanna hear that xpipe that i sold ya.
Deal, I get off at 330 and i'll come over (if I can't get in with the mechanic today) I'll gove u a shout when I get off

The x-pipe sounds good...considering everything else is stock.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:08 PM
lakelaw
Advanced

You must be older than dirt. Back when airliners had multiple level reciprocating engines of up to about 30 cylinders, they also had water injection for take off position on the throttles. Little boost of power and a lot of cleaning in that high temperature atmoshpere. Have not had anyone mention that for a long time. Turbine guys think you are nuts. Old guys rule.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:23 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by lakelaw
You must be older than dirt. Back when airliners had multiple level reciprocating engines of up to about 30 cylinders, they also had water injection for take off position on the throttles. Little boost of power and a lot of cleaning in that high temperature atmoshpere. Have not had anyone mention that for a long time. Turbine guys think you are nuts. Old guys rule.
No, turbine guys(that know their stuff) would not think he's nuts. Early DC-8's, 707's, and 747-100's used water injection.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:28 PM
corvettejoe98
Racer

I would go get your car tuned, I think that will work wonders on the problem. Rough idle sometimes can be caused by inproper air/fuel ration cause bad combustion.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:26 PM
lakelaw
Advanced

On the old recips, it kept cylinder head temps down as well as clean the combustion chamber.. Didn't remember the early turbines keeping that option. thanks. never know who you meet or what you can learn on this forum.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:35 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

On the old recips, it kept cylinder head temps down as well as clean the combustion chamber.. Didn't remember the early turbines keeping that option. thanks. never know who you meet or what you can learn on this forum.
Yep. On 747s, the water was stored in the center wing tank, which was later used for fuel, after we deactivated the water injection system. I remember removing all the old wiring and such. It's a huge tank. I'm 5'10", and could stand up in it.....
Old 08-27-2009, 12:04 PM
cgilbert23
Instructor

Froman had something come up with work yesterday and I wasn't able to make it to his place to do some investigating...but I have noticed that the ticking has almost completely went away once the car has warmed up and been driven. I have an 8 mile trip from work to the house, when I got home yesterday I popped the hood to see how bad the ticking was and it was virtually gone...any thoughts? When I start it in the morning it still ticks though.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:41 PM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cgilbert23
Froman had something come up with work yesterday and I wasn't able to make it to his place to do some investigating...but I have noticed that the ticking has almost completely went away once the car has warmed up and been driven. I have an 8 mile trip from work to the house, when I got home yesterday I popped the hood to see how bad the ticking was and it was virtually gone...any thoughts? When I start it in the morning it still ticks though.
Could be a lifter or a small exhaust manifold/header leak (which sounds almost identical to a lifter) where they bolt onto the block. Once warm, slight ticks from these two usually go away.
Ed

Last edited by C5XTASY; 08-27-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:46 PM
cgilbert23
Instructor

Originally Posted by C5XTASY
Could be a lifter or an small exhaust manifold/header leak (which sounds almost identical to a lifter) where they bolt onto the block. Once warm, slight ticks from these two usually go away.
Ed
Thanks C5XTACY! I'm leaning towards a lifter, gonna do some more diagnosing tomorrow
Old 08-27-2009, 01:35 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Ha! I think I have you and Lucky beat on this one! I have worked on many of the old radial big guys. The biggest being the Pratt & Whitney R-4360 Wasp. This engine has 4 rows with 7 cylinders in each row for a total of 28 cylinders. The Douglass DC-6 which I have a number of hours on had the Pratt & Whitney R2800. This engine had to have water injections (part Alcohol/water) to achieve maximum take off power. This engine is supercharged and would push 62 inches of mercury boost. In psi I believe this works out to about 30 psi. Without water injections the boost was limited to 52” or about 25 psi.

Man! Us old guys can’t help talking sometimes about the old days!!
Old 08-27-2009, 02:19 PM
MrMojoRisin921
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gideon's_Test
I believe that the PCV valve port just behind the TB on the passenger side would qualify...

I tried using that port and hardly got any vacum out of it? I used a hose and syringe and squirted the seaform through that port and didn't get any smoke or engine stumble. The liquid went it, so I don't think it is clogged, anyone else have a similar experience?
Old 08-28-2009, 07:44 AM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The C5 firing order was changed and it will have a little rough idle due to the firing order change. That is normal for the C5 to have a little bump in the idle, I'm looking for the firing order in my C5 book showing what it was before and what order it is now. Good luck.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:00 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Jesse Asis
The C5 firing order was changed and it will have a little rough idle due to the firing order change. That is normal for the C5 to have a little bump in the idle, I'm looking for the firing order in my C5 book showing what it was before and what order it is now. Good luck.
I'd like to hear more how you changed the firing order of your engine.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:15 AM
slothy
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jesse Asis
AWWW what?

Get notified of new replies

To Seafomed and now its worse.......

Old 08-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Warped Sol
Racer

I've just got to hear this reply.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Just swap spark plugs and change the order!
Old 08-28-2009, 12:26 PM
froman
Racer

changed the firing order wtf? are you running super long plug wires to diff cylinders or something?

Quick Reply: Seafomed and now its worse.......