C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Delusi / Bear brake setup, Brembo's with CCW rims turning bad - Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 01:27 PM
Nelson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Delusi / Bear brake setup, Brembo's with CCW rims turning bad - Help

As it stands right now, I have a set of Brembo brakes on the floor next to my Z06, here is the situation.

1) stock rims do not fit
Problem - the CCW rims that I got do not fit (they where supposed to after talking to CCW, still working through this problem), the rims keep comming up with "problems" now im looking to see if the rear rims will clear my "air duct" for the Z06. Last time I talked to CCW they also said something about having to place a peice of metal in my rear wheel area, to hold my fender out (that just scares me)

Bottom line it would be close to 8,000.00 to have 2 set's of rims, one for street, one for track, problem is CCW makes the "cheapest" (price, the quality of the rim looks great) rim at 1,800.00 a set, which is about 2X the price I had to pay for the extra grand sport rims I got last time I went to brembo brakes.

2) Need to goto 18" front rims...
Problem is the active handeling system gets confused unless you get the proper tires, the tires that I got with my CCW rims are not the proper tire size it turns out. again, still working on and getting details on this problem to see if it really is a problem.

3) A-Arm bracket mount does not clear. I would have to grind (for lack of better terms) to get the brembo caliper mount to fit on the car. Not the end of the world, but I'm just looking to upgrade my brake system, not make a race-car.

I have tried to take my 18" Z06 wheel from the rear and put it on the front, it will clear, but not clear the rotor (wheel spacer) as it turns out I would also need a wheel spacer for my CCW rims (although I purchased these rims only because they would clear the Brembo rotors, still working through this problem with CCW and a set of wheel spacers)

To the point - the Dilusi brake setup seems like it would fit my purpose (weekend road racer that does drive VERY hard, I will admit that I'm VERY hard on brakes... so I can't have something that "might" work, which is why I went with the Brembo's again) However, the Brembo's are turning into a nightmare FAST.

on the cost aspect as well, I can get about 10 sets of rotor's for the price im spending in new tires / rims / machine shop charges etc...

even if the dilusi rotor's do not last as long, in the long run I would have to go through about 4 sets a year for 5 years (which I can't see).

Wilwood is a good name, and that is the caliper he is using, he is using a HAT system like the Brembo's... these seem like a good brake system (and he claims that it will fit uner my stock rims)

has anyone gone down this path before?
Old 02-18-2002, 01:59 PM
kewlbrz
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Delusi / Bear brake setup, Brembo's with CCW rims turning bad - Help (Nelson)

Not a brake expert, but you might consider cryogenically freezing your new rotors before installing.
Old 02-18-2002, 02:36 PM
Phantom1000
Instructor

Default Re: Delusi / Bear brake setup, Brembo's with CCW rims turning bad - Help (Nelson)

I have just gone through most of what you are talking about. Keep in mind, however, that I am no expert, just an end user. With that caveat, I have an 01' Z06. I looked at all the brake set-ups that I knew of--Brembo, Baer/Alcon, DRM/AP, Dilusi, Stoptech. In the end, I chose the new Baer/Alcon set-up and yes I had to slightly grind the A-Arm for the fit. Any of these brake set-ups will treat you right though. One interesting note, after my setup was installed, I stopped by Stoptech and talked top them about their new system that they are coming out with shortly. It will be a fully floating 6 piston front and 4 piston rear. They have had clearance issues with a number of wheels. I went down there because my buddy's Z06 is their test mule and they wanted some clearance measurements on my Mallett rims.

In terms of clearance of the rims, I have Mallett 396 rims. They cleared pretty easily. I also have a set of HRE 546 rims in a 9.5x18 and 11x19. They are currently being re-chromed by HRE, but HRE swears (in writing) that they will clear (sent them the brake templates in advance of the brake purchase). There is one issue on three (3) piece wheels, that being the length of the bolts used to assemble the wheels. Need to make sure they use the short bolts.

In sum, for me, the most important thing was planning ahead of time with brake templates from the manufacturer so that it would be clear whether each wheel would work. If a wheel manufacturer represented to you that it would clear, then you have an issue with them.

With respect to the wheel and tire sizes. It is not that difficult to stay relatively close to spec diameter to retain proper computer function (so I am told-my recollection is that there is a required spread between the front and rear diameters). I am running 265-35/18 and 295-35/18 on my Malletts and 265-35/18 and 295-30/19 on my HRE's. My active handling still works in both configurations (thank God!-had it come on a few times in the last few months). You do need those 18 fronts for most of these big-brake systems.

Hope I am helping. Kind of rambling. :cheers:
Old 02-18-2002, 02:44 PM
L.A.P.D.
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06
Default Re: Delusi / Bear brake setup, Brembo's with CCW rims turning bad - Help (Phantom1000)

Phantom1000,

Glad to see you are enjoying your brakes.

I am curious as to why you had to grind the A-arms for the fitment.

I have the same set-up as you know and I didn't have to grind anything, but you do have to make sure the system is shimmed properly on the front and rear.

See you this Sunday on our great big run.

Shawn

Old 02-18-2002, 06:11 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nelson,

You may want to also post on the Viper board if you want any input on the Dilusi brakes, I know he's done alot of theirs.

Jon
Old 02-18-2002, 08:18 PM
Phantom1000
Instructor

Default Re: Delusi / Bear brake setup, Brembo's with CCW rims turning bad - Help (L.A.P.D.)

Phantom1000,

Glad to see you are enjoying your brakes.

I am curious as to why you had to grind the A-arms for the fitment.

I have the same set-up as you know and I didn't have to grind anything, but you do have to make sure the system is shimmed properly on the front and rear.

See you this Sunday on our great big run.

Shawn
Was there a point there Shawn or was that an unsolicited self-promotion......at least my rear calipers weren't put in backwards..... :D
Old 02-18-2002, 08:24 PM
L.A.P.D.
Supporting Vendor

Default Re: Delusi / Bear brake setup, Brembo's with CCW rims turning bad - Help (Phantom1000)

Phantom 1000,

Yeah, but at least my front and rear calipers were always working properly and never dragged. My brakes were always working fine and shimmed properly. Who installed your brakes for you by the way?:rolleyes:

I meant nothing by it, just wanted to know why you had to grind.

If anything, you should wish that the calipers mounted upside down was the only problem you had.:eek:

Shawn

[Modified by L.A.P.D., 4:25 PM 2/18/2002]
Old 02-18-2002, 10:35 PM
TracerX
Racer

Give Kyle a call at House of Speed. He can give you some ideas of what to expect from the dilusi setup. We have a Z06 with their(Dilusi) setup and it is awesome.

Good Luck
Trace
Old 02-18-2002, 10:46 PM
davidmax
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the 14" front rotors and my HRE"s clear perfect.Im not sure but I think your having a wheel problem with wrong offset,Ihave seen 2 cutom wheels that will even clear the big 6 piston monster up front and thats HRE and Fikse we sell alot of these wheels.If your looking for road course handling and strength I recommed either but I believe the Fikse to be more race worthy by a slight margin.I'm keepind my 547's but Im getting a set of Fikses for handling and hopefully road course after I take my lessons from some pros and if its in the budget go to Bragg Smith in NV.That schoot has a great rep and if 8 people 7 and myself want to attend.I'll post it alone and see what dates they have open it would be a great gift to give you and your Vette.They sence and accelerate better for you.Be E.Z David Smilovic PS

Use the Brembos I have a have 8,00 miles and I drive a 230+ mph car I wouldnt trust anything but Baer or Brembo I have 20-30% break wear and there highly abused.We have a new Baer line that I know you will very impressed major great feedback and not 12,000 pesos I dont remember the price I would give Nate a shout he's an expert on these problems and discuss wheels he has war stories you can also discuss the new Baer line but why loose on the brembos there solid stuff. Dave
Old 02-19-2002, 12:19 AM
Phantom1000
Instructor

Default Re: Delusi / Bear brake setup, Brembo's with CCW rims turning bad - Help (L.A.P.D.)

Phantom 1000,

Yeah, but at least my front and rear calipers were always working properly and never dragged. My brakes were always working fine and shimmed properly. Who installed your brakes for you by the way?:rolleyes:

I meant nothing by it, just wanted to know why you had to grind.

If anything, you should wish that the calipers mounted upside down was the only problem you had.:eek:

Shawn
Well you ought to know.....you sold them to me......the dragging was only to help you keep up......we will see how manly your new ATI setup is on Sunday at the Big Ride......dress warm.....wouldn't want you to catch a chill as I blow by you..... :boxing
Old 02-19-2002, 01:15 AM
L.A.P.D.
Supporting Vendor

Phantom1000,

Dude, whatever. We will see how you do on Sunday.

By the way, did you get everything else on your car fixed?

Shawn
Old 02-19-2002, 10:32 AM
Nelson
Racer

Default Re: Delusi / Bear brake setup, Brembo's with CCW rims turning bad - Help (davidmax)

David max, the CCW rims are about half price of the HRE rims though, that is huge in my book when im not really looking for "fancy" and looking for "performance" I heard that the CCW rims are unmatched when it comes to price / performance.

I just need to get hooked up with CCW and come to some conclusions, he has been great helping me out thusfar, and I got lucky that someone else is going to pick up my CCW rims that I have now, so it worked out well for that.
Old 02-19-2002, 12:01 PM
davidmax
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love CCW product but I dont believe they make the proper size and offset to fit big brakes.We have a set of mint take offs at XTREME and they make my mouth water but these will definately not fit.If you find CCW's that fit drop me a note and let me know,I would love some 18x12 and 18x10 wheels,if not its the bank account and Fikses.Good Luck David Smilovic
Old 02-19-2002, 12:27 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Default Re: Delusi / Bear brake setup, Brembo's with CCW rims turning bad - Help (davidmax)

When I ordered my set of CCW's I asked John to be sure that they would fit a set of Big brakes (Alcon)... I am wanting to get a set soon. I will let you know if I have any problems fitting them on. At this Point I dont think I will..

vetterdstr :cheers:
Old 02-19-2002, 12:51 PM
Nelson
Racer

Default Re: Delusi / Bear brake setup, Brembo's with CCW rims turning bad - Help (vetterdstr)

------When I ordered my set of CCW's I asked John to be sure that they would fit a set of Big brakes (Alcon)... I am wanting to get a set soon. I will let you know if I have any problems fitting them on. At this Point I dont think I will.. --------

Do you think that you will need to use wheel spacers?
Old 02-20-2002, 12:16 AM
DARTH VETTER
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

I have the Diliusi set up on my car & they are Awesome. They do fit perfectly under the stock wheels & they incorporate the stock parking brake. I am extremely hard on the brakes also & have ZERO probs. I don't think you'll have an issue with the rotors. You should call Ben @ Dilusi(281-341-9010) to discuss any fitment questions.

[Modified by DARTH VETTER, 10:19 PM 2/19/2002]
Old 02-20-2002, 12:23 AM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

I dont think so.

vetterdstr :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To Delusi / Bear brake setup, Brembo's with CCW rims turning bad - Help

Quick Reply: Delusi / Bear brake setup, Brembo's with CCW rims turning bad - Help