C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Column Lock Message....Am I on track with my solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 11:17 PM
AlphaKnight34
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Column Lock Message....Am I on track with my solutions?

Hello Forum,

Like too many others, I got struck with the dreaded 'Steering Column Lock' message yesterday, and am stuck with a bit of a dilemma. I have decided to have the car towed home, (for reasons listed below) After reading LOTS of information, here's what I have concluded thus far.

-2001 MN6, the GM version of the fix was performed on the vehicle several years back. So as of now while the steering wheel is actually not physically locked, I am dealing with more is the fuel shut off feature
I did try disconnecting the battery to 'clear' the PCM, and also removing fuses 25 and 23 and waiting 10 minutes. This did not solve the issue.

There does seem to be more clicking noise than normal coming from the fuse, but that could just be me. Anyway, here's what I'm thinking

Solution 1:Get the car home and the install a CL bypass.
Pro - Might be the most efficient solution
Con - From what I've read, while this should work, it may not, as the GM K harness would have to be removed, correct?

Solution 2:Get the car home, take the ECM (BCM?) out, and send it to get reprogrammed, with the fuel shut off reprogrammed to 200+ mph
Pro - relatively easy
Con - Time. I would still get a Steering column lock message continuously...And I'm not a big fan of sending off my ECM

Solution 3: Order an engine tuner (FPL?) and reprogram the ECM myself
Pro - somewhat easy
Con - would still get column lock message. a little costlier

Solution 4: Jump the relay installed in the GM fix, between pin 30 and pin 87
Pro - Easy, if I can find the right relay
Con - Although the first write up mentioned this, I have not heard of anyone actually being successful with this. Has anyone done this?

Solution 5: Take the car to the dealer
Pro -
Con - Dumb, costly, and from what I have read, there is no official, GM sanctioned fix that actually fully addresses the issue
Old 08-21-2009, 09:41 AM
AlphaKnight34
Instructor

any takers
Old 08-21-2009, 10:46 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

If you can still hear the column lock actuator cycle when you turn the key, you may be able to avoid having the car towed by removing the panel below the steering column and reconnecting the actuator back to the stock position. (ie, remove the Harness K relay and reconnect the actuator to the BCM)
This should satisfy the BCM and fix the fuel shutoff problem where you can drive it home.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:04 PM
blakvette
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
If you can still hear the column lock actuator cycle when you turn the key, you may be able to avoid having the car towed by removing the panel below the steering column and reconnecting the actuator back to the stock position. (ie, remove the Harness K relay and reconnect the actuator to the BCM)
This should satisfy the BCM and fix the fuel shutoff problem where you can drive it home.
my car just came up with the same thing.

i called the dealer and the recall was already done by the previous owner. what should i do next to get my car to get over 2mph. ? i also have the 10 sec key message.

please advise
Old 08-21-2009, 01:07 PM
blakvette
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

also can i still install the CLB even if the recall was done?
Old 08-21-2009, 03:06 PM
AlphaKnight34
Instructor

Thanks guys. I got the car flatbed home. Looks like the CLB is the way to go. I'll order it today, and work on it one day after work next week

@ 8Vette7 - appreciate the offer. Will be in touch
Old 08-21-2009, 08:45 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Mine has done this about twice in the past year or two. Charging battery fixes it for me. Yours might be different.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:44 PM
steveovette
Instructor

Gm tech here. Actually assuming the recall was already done this problem is usually caused by a weak battery. Remove fuse number 25 to reset the BCM and then check your battery condition. Do an AVR test on the charging system including the battery and I am sure you will find it is time to charge and/or replace said battery. This has worked for me to many times in the past for me to count.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:16 PM
smithd7
Instructor

What fuse box are you pulling from? I had same problem when my batt. was low,but I went to the fuse box under the hood,forgot about the one inside on pass. side,pulled #25 evrything reset.

Get notified of new replies

To Column Lock Message....Am I on track with my solutions?

Quick Reply: Column Lock Message....Am I on track with my solutions?