C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best air intake for C5?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Dream Tire
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best air intake for C5?

Hey guys,

I want to order an air intake system for my new C5. I was wondering from your experience, which one is the best one between K & N or Vararam? Or perhaps their is another?

Also I want to get a bigger TB. Looking around online 85mm is the upgrade?

Thank for in advance for your input.

Rod
02' Corvette
Old 08-04-2009, 12:02 AM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Default Welcome to the forum!!

Vararam is still the current king although the fitment as the parts come together is rough. They don't quite align together.

Haltech is second place, the rest come after.

I've got a Blackwing that was on the car when I bought it. Very good, but I'm sure a ram air system would be a little better.

You don't buy a bigger throttle body with your power level, you find a vendor that can port your stock unit for around $100. My ported Shaner S3 is a work of art internally. My last Twin Turbo LS1 did over 600hp with a ported stock unit. I would spend my money on over things besides a bigger tb.

Cruise the c5 parts for sale section... Always buy used and save serious cash.

This is a great place, if you have a question or problem someone is sure to help.

Last edited by ~Josh; 08-04-2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:06 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

My costs may be a bit off, but most of what is stated here is based upon my experience with aftermarket intake systems for the C5....

If you live in California, think twice about the Vararam, as it can be a royal pain to install/uninstall/reinstall for smog tests. If you live in a state that doesn't have visual inspections, then also take a look at the following (grouped by cold air and non-cold air, but in no particular order) and my comments, if any:

Vararam: Brings cold air in through the fog light panel area to a panel-type filter. Owners have had good luck with system on the dragstrip, but plan on spending hours to install and a bit more to get everything lined up well. Downside: Eliminates engine bay-cooling air that would've come in from the fog light panels (Z06 or coupe/vert with opened-up panels), so the engine bay may end up being toastier, especially if you add headers later. $300-$400 (NOT smog legal in CA)

Vortech Rammer: Brings cold air up from in front of the radiator and into an enclosed box. Its filter is quite a bit smaller than the Halltech Warhead or Blackwing unit. $250 (NOT smog legal in CA)

Callaway Honker intake system: This one relocates the MAF so that it is just in front of the throttlebody. It directs cold air from underneath and costs about $500. I believe this unit is 50 states legal (smogwise) for non=Z06 C5s. Excellent design and quality. If cost is no object, this bad boy should be at the top of your list.

K&N FIPK: This is more of a semi-cold air system, as the cold air intake opening is more of a slit. Its filter endcaps are carbon fiber. However, it is configured similarly to the Halltech Stinger-R and is 50-states legal. $350

Reverse Zip-tie: Allows cold air to be drawn in from underneath, but the bare filter is exposed to potential damage from larger objects. The advantage here is that you may pass smog if the tech doesn't know "which way is up".

Warm air systems: (Easy installation)

Halltech Stinger-R: Not only contains the massive Warhead filter, but also includes a larger-than-stock airbridge and smooth throttlebody coupler. For $350.00 or less, this system represents one of the best bangs for the buck. Fortunately, if you don't like Z06 screens in front of cored-out fog light panels, (for about $40) you can add cold air induction. See my procedure at http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/corvette_c5_corner.htm
This is what I did and a swap to smog-legal status is very easy to do, as I have kept my Z06 intake box.

Halltech Venom: This intake system features an even larger filter than that of the Stinger-R, TRAP, and Blackwing. Like the Callaway Honker, it relocates the MAF sensor to just in front of the throttle body. Its filtering ability is very good, if not excellent.

Blackwing: Includes just a large filter, but an excellent one at that. Its cost is close to that of the Stinger. Like the Stinger, it is not smog-legal in CA, but can easily be swapped with the OEM box before the smog check is due.

Volant Twin Cone: This system gives you more open filter surface area than any stock box does and is well suited to an engine bay that gets cold air in from the fog light panels, as the filters are more or less in the air flow path. $265

2002+ Z06 airbox cover: A larger opening allows more air to be drawn in through the filter. Expect up to a 5 RWHP gain from this simple swap. $50

Zip-tie: An easy and inexpensive mod (eliminates the OEM box’s upper lid), but its sealing ability is questionable at best.

According to Jim Hall of Halltech, at 95-degrees IAT, the Blackwing (and other non-CAI intakes) will lose 1 degree of timing. At 135-degrees a full 12 degrees is pulled on the LS1 which equals 10 RWHP.

I measured before and after air intake temperature data with a stock Halltech Stinger and then with the same intake but with my CAI mod. The difference was staggering:

After sitting in traffic/slow-moving for 10 minutes or so, my stock Halltech setup was pulling in air that reached 145+ degreesF. Even after driving at highway speeds for 15 minutes, the intake temps never fell below 110F or so.

After installing my CAI mod, sitting in traffic/slow-moving for 10 minutes or more never produced more than 110 degrees F intake temps. After driving on the highway for less than a few minutes, the intake temps went all the way down to ambient temperatures (about 80 degrees F).

As far as horsepower gains, most aftermarket intakes will produce about the same horsepower gains if the intake air is kept relatively cool. During the many dyno runs I have seen, each car had its hood open and a large fan blowing air on the radiator. Vararam-equipped C5s produced the same gains as the Halltech and Blackwing-equipped C5s.

As was mentioned, the gains are only achieved permanently if the intake air is kept below a certain level. If not, much, if not all of your gains will be "dialed back" by the ECU.
Ebay specials: Most intake system air "runners" are made of plastic, not because it is the cheapest (it often isn't) material, but because the last thing most people want is the engine bay heat being transferred to the intake air via a metal runner. Many of the inexpensive Ebay intakes I've seen have metal runners - not good, IMO. Also, the filter is the most critical part of the intake system - why buy an unknown brand of filter for such a critical application? Please, don't cheap-out on an intake system. Stick with brands that have a long history of making quality products.

How good are these systems? My experience has shown that most will bump up RWHP by at least 10. The advantage of having cold air is that power will not be "dialed down" under slow moving/stop&go conditions.
You could easily lose 10 HP with a warm air system after engine bay temps rise during slow-moving conditions. Cold air prevents this from happening.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dave68:
2Mainey (02-19-2020), jweezy (03-01-2022)
Old 08-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Dream Tire
Instructor

My power level?

Arnt all the C5 non Z06 all the same?

After doing some research the Vararam does look like the one to get.

Looking on Ebay they show 3 different options:

option # 1 - C5 Corvette Performance Vararam Air Intake System $269
Option # 2 - Vararam Air Intake & Powerduct COMBO 97-04 C5 Corvette $379
option # 3 - 1997-2004 C5/Z06 Corvette Vararam Ram Air Intake VR-B2 $319

Of these ones which one is the one to get?
Old 08-04-2009, 12:18 AM
Dream Tire
Instructor

Wow thanks alot Dave

Amazing Detail. Im not too too worried about the smog and emission controls. Im more for which one will be the best for my car.

So I believe that you are also more for Vararam. From those 3 set ups I found, which one do you believe would be the best one for my 02?
Old 08-04-2009, 12:18 AM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Nice info Dave

Dream Tire- I'd get option 2.

By "your power level" I was referring a mostly stock car. Getting a hotter camshaft, heads or forced induction would be the other variables in power was refering to.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:48 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Look right here for the VR. I believe the sale price is $255. for a few more days. Right from VR or I think JW Motoring has the same price. Don't shoot me if I misquote a price.

OK I was bored and hunted down the thread. $255. shipped from a forum vendor so you can't go wrong. Here's the link http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...5-shipped.html

Last edited by Camjamsdad; 08-04-2009 at 02:01 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:01 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dave, I have the vortex rammer and just smogged my car. It passed and nobody questioned me about it. Why do you say it's not smog legal? I'd imagine any filter system is smog legal.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:36 AM
karateboi87
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave68
Volant Twin Cone: This system gives you more open filter surface area than any stock box does and is well suited to an engine bay that gets cold air in from the fog light panels, as the filters are more or less in the air flow path. $265
Nice post. I'm actually considering getting a Volant. Do you see this similiar to blackwings?

I'm not a racer.. so I certainly don't need vararam and I don't want to deal with the fitment issues.

I don't see too many people with Volants so that's why I have my 2nd thoughts, but I haven't found anything negative about it from the few reviews that are avaliable.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:13 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want the best bang for your buck,get the Vararam.One draw back not mentioned in that post is that Vettes are bottom feeder and suck enough crap up off the road to clog radiators,all that also goes to those other cold air systems.Also the intake air temp on a vararam never goes up!
The following users liked this post:
bobm1102 (07-23-2022)
Old 08-04-2009, 01:36 PM
jd86L98
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

VARARAM ALL THE WAY!!! Install the Powerduct too which will relocate the MAF. Be prepared to be totally confused when you start the install with there instructions. You'll find much better instructions on the forum. Great product, great performance, but worst instructions I've ever seen. Install took me about five hours but it’s completely aligned and looks factory.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:02 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
Look right here for the VR. I believe the sale price is $255. for a few more days. Right from VR or I think JW Motoring has the same price. Don't shoot me if I misquote a price.

OK I was bored and hunted down the thread. $255. shipped from a forum vendor so you can't go wrong. Here's the link http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...5-shipped.html
Old 08-04-2009, 03:11 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dream Tire
Wow thanks alot Dave

Amazing Detail. Im not too too worried about the smog and emission controls. Im more for which one will be the best for my car.

So I believe that you are also more for Vararam. From those 3 set ups I found, which one do you believe would be the best one for my 02?
Actually, I think the best quality CAI system is the Callaway Honker. However if your mind is set on the Vararam, option 2 if that includes relocating the MAF sensor.

Dave, I have the vortex rammer and just smogged my car. It passed and nobody questioned me about it. Why do you say it's not smog legal? I'd imagine any filter system is smog legal.
In most areas in California, any aftermarket part that is in any way related to emissions must have a C.A.R.B. sticker on it or it is technically illegal. Air filter housings fall under that category and there are only 2-3 smog-legal intake systems for C5s. K&N FIPK and Callaway Honker are two.

Nice post. I'm actually considering getting a Volant. Do you see this similiar to blackwings?

I'm not a racer.. so I certainly don't need vararam and I don't want to deal with the fitment issues.

I don't see too many people with Volants so that's why I have my 2nd thoughts, but I haven't found anything negative about it from the few reviews that are avaliable.
Twin cone air filters have somewhat fallen out of favor; the reasoning for many was that the intersection (convergence) of the two air flow paths causes more turbulence that is expected by the MAF. this would be more likely when a screenless MAF (02-04 Z06) is used, but to be honest with you, I have not had any direct experience with twin cone systems. From an engineering prospective, I don't like them. The Halltech and Blackwing systems are better IMO with the Halltech Venom having the advantage of better positioning of the MAF.

Dave
Old 08-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Originally Posted by rebelheart
If you want the best bang for your buck,get the Vararam.One draw back not mentioned in that post is that Vettes are bottom feeder and suck enough crap up off the road to clog radiators,all that also goes to those other cold air systems.Also the intake air temp on a vararam never goes up!
The intake air temp when using a Callaway or flip-tie never goes up, either. The disadvantage of pure CAI systems (to me) is engine bay temps that can climb to hell-like temperatures if LT headers are installed without an insulation wrap. High engine bay temps lead to premature failure of hoses, belts, circuit boards, and almost all plastics.
This is why my setup blasts outside air past the intake filter and into the engine bay. As an added bonus, my catch can traps much of that airborn moisture in blowby gasses.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:10 PM
karateboi87
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave68
Twin cone air filters have somewhat fallen out of favor; the reasoning for many was that the intersection (convergence) of the two air flow paths causes more turbulence that is expected by the MAF. this would be more likely when a screenless MAF (02-04 Z06) is used, but to be honest with you, I have not had any direct experience with twin cone systems. From an engineering prospective, I don't like them. The Halltech and Blackwing systems are better IMO with the Halltech Venom having the advantage of better positioning of the MAF.

Dave
I see. Well the reason I'm considering a Volant is because people said quality is good, AND the fact that they are SUPER cheap right now... basically less than half the price of a blackwing.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:23 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I have this Honker knock off for sale. It is actually the MTI lid:

[IMG][/IMG]

It also includes the power duct (not pictured yet). This comes with a shroud that is already cut and rivets installed and a new filter. Best deal out there. $285 shipped. I have an oil cooler installed and this will not fit my car. Let me know if interested.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:25 PM
GETOPLES
Pro

Vararam and be done with it!

Get notified of new replies

To Best air intake for C5?

Old 08-04-2009, 08:41 PM
02Z06clark
Instructor

Callaway honker
Old 08-04-2009, 10:39 PM
0Cajun @ Edgyvette
Former Vendor

Received 393 Likes on 286 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12'-'13-'14-'15

I have a Halltech stinger system with warhead filter and airbridge in all black for $160 shipped.

Cajun
Old 08-04-2009, 11:46 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I'm a big Blackwing fan!

Quick Reply: Best air intake for C5?