C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone ever had a noisy power steering pump caused by worn out fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 03:10 PM
Blown427conv
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ever had a noisy power steering pump caused by worn out fluid?

My power steering pump is annoyingly loud (whining as if fluid level was low) and the fluid looks pretty bad. I'm going to replace the fluid ASAP with something that claims to quiet the pump noise down, but I am wondering if anyone has ever experienced this. The pump works fine and does not leak and I can't see any metal in the fluid, but it does look like blackened water so I'm hoping a fluid change will quiet it down. I know it isn't the pulleys since I've already changed them and the water pump because of nearly all of them having bad bearings and being loud as hell. I can also hear the noise coming from that area even though it doesn't seem to change pitch when I turn the wheel back and forth. The pump shaft feels tight with the belt off and spins smoothly. Any one???
Old 08-03-2009, 04:33 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

your ps pump is about to go. time to replace it
Old 08-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

I've never heard of fluid "wearing out" but have heard of it becoming contaminated, usually with water. Do a flush in accordance with the service manual and if it's still noisy, time to replace.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:21 PM
hattitude
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might also check your hoses...?

I had a screeching power steering pump, the dealer replaced it under GMPP warranty. When I picked up the car I saw a leek at the hose. I found the hose between the pump & reservoir had delaminated. It was bulged & leaking, and was blocking the flow of fluid... the pump was starving, thus screeching. I replaced the hose and good as new.... in fact the old pump was probably good too.....!

Just a thought before buying a new pump........

Good Luck..
Old 02-13-2010, 11:24 AM
billmoore48
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Default What fixed your noisy C5 power steering pump?

Hey Blown427 -

What fixed your noisy power steering pump? I saw the comment about a bulging line that cut the flow to the pump. Were you successful with that or was it a pump replacement?

I'm getting pump noise that sounds like it's cavitating fluid - almost like a bearing going out but not exactly. The low flow/blocked hose solution sounds logical. I'm getting more of a low-pitch whine or howl than a high-pitch shrill bearing failure.

I checked the pump fluid level and it's about at half-full in the reservoir - is that too low? This has been developing for about a month now with no catastrophic failure.

Thanks...Bill
Old 03-05-2010, 05:26 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by billmoore48
Hey Blown427 -

What fixed your noisy power steering pump? I saw the comment about a bulging line that cut the flow to the pump. Were you successful with that or was it a pump replacement?

I'm getting pump noise that sounds like it's cavitating fluid - almost like a bearing going out but not exactly. The low flow/blocked hose solution sounds logical. I'm getting more of a low-pitch whine or howl than a high-pitch shrill bearing failure.

I checked the pump fluid level and it's about at half-full in the reservoir - is that too low? This has been developing for about a month now with no catastrophic failure.

Thanks...Bill
Hey Bill

did you get your problem figured out? My 00 has started when you describe as "cavitating" at very slow speeds like backing up and pulling forward in parking spaces.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:13 PM
m-nelson
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blown427conv
My power steering pump is annoyingly loud (whining as if fluid level was low) and the fluid looks pretty bad. I'm going to replace the fluid ASAP with something that claims to quiet the pump noise down, but I am wondering if anyone has ever experienced this. The pump works fine and does not leak and I can't see any metal in the fluid, but it does look like blackened water so I'm hoping a fluid change will quiet it down. I know it isn't the pulleys since I've already changed them and the water pump because of nearly all of them having bad bearings and being loud as hell. I can also hear the noise coming from that area even though it doesn't seem to change pitch when I turn the wheel back and forth. The pump shaft feels tight with the belt off and spins smoothly. Any one???
It was on a Ford but..... That car had a noisy Power Steering Pump that you swore would need replacement. I flushed out & replaced the fluid & it went quiet & is still in service.

Definitely, give a flush & refill a try.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone ever had a noisy power steering pump caused by worn out fluid?

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever had a noisy power steering pump caused by worn out fluid?