C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent Fuel Gauge Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 06:14 AM
ghutch
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Intermittent Fuel Gauge Problem

I've been following the threads concerning the intermittent fuel gauge problems ever since I found the "Bill Curlee" post regarding grounding issues. I have a 97, and I too have the problem with the gas gauge showing the fuel level at start up, then immediately going to empty, the check gauge light comes on and DIC shows low fuel. I added Techron last week, cleared all the codes last night but the darn gauge will only operate for a few seconds before heading to empty. From the posts I've read, I'm to add Techron several times more with the hope that it starts working again. If this fails do I assume its the sensor or a bad gauge? Is there a way to troubleshoot these? Thanks for the assistance. Please excuse me if I failed to see this from the numerous threads regarding this problem.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:34 AM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by ghutch
If this fails do I assume its the sensor or a bad gauge? Is there a way to troubleshoot these? Thanks for the assistance. Please excuse me if I failed to see this from the numerous threads regarding this problem.
Do try the Techron a few more times before replacing anything. It took three treatments before mine started to work again and works fine ever since, well over a year now. If it doesn't work for you chances are the sending unit will need to be replaced. There are two. If the gauge cycles on startup (goes from E to F) then it is working. The sending units get a deposit build-up on the resister that some have pulled out of the tank, cleaned, and reinstalled. Some other folks just replace them.

Hope the Techron does the trick for you!
Old 07-31-2009, 08:57 AM
ghutch
Intermediate

Default Intermittent Fuel Gauge Problem

Eric. thanks for the quick reply. I will follow your recommendation and hope for the best. Gary
Old 07-31-2009, 09:05 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Mine seems to do it when it gets just below around 1/4 tank. I use Techron regularly. The fix for me, is to keep 1/2 tank or better in it.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:17 AM
c5blkvetteguy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the techron about twice a year and the issue has gone away.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:34 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

In combination with the fuel system cleaner chagne to a better brand of gasoline www.toptiergasoline .com

IF that does not fix it check for corroded grounds.

IF it still isn't properly working, it is time for new fuel sending units.
Search in the archives for a post on replacing them without dropping the gas tank.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:54 AM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric D
Do try the Techron a few more times before replacing anything. It took three treatments before mine started to work again and works fine ever since, well over a year now. If it doesn't work for you chances are the sending unit will need to be replaced. There are two. If the gauge cycles on startup (goes from E to F) then it is working. The sending units get a deposit build-up on the resister that some have pulled out of the tank, cleaned, and reinstalled. Some other folks just replace them.

Hope the Techron does the trick for you!
Sometimes it takes a few bottles
Old 08-03-2009, 01:39 PM
ghutch
Intermediate

As luck would have it, I drove the car yesterday running errands and suddenly the gauge started working again. I've decided I'll start burning Shell gas and see how that goes. I appreciate everyones inputs. This is a great place to get helpful info and advise.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:46 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by ghutch
As luck would have it, I drove the car yesterday running errands and suddenly the gauge started working again. I've decided I'll start burning Shell gas and see how that goes. I appreciate everyones inputs. This is a great place to get helpful info and advise.
Excellent. I agree with the others here. Give things more time and maybe even another Techron treatment or two in the upcoming weeks.

Btw, bear in mind that there are a variety of gasoline blends being sold throughout the country. So, depending on the state you live in, the time of year (the additive packages are seasonal on some states), and whether it's a top tier, etc, etc, all these could be factors too.

Get notified of new replies

To Intermittent Fuel Gauge Problem

Quick Reply: Intermittent Fuel Gauge Problem