C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Dual Zone Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Camaroguy22
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Dual Zone Problem

The passengers vents blow cold while the drivers vents blow warm to hot.

There is the proper level of freon in the car.

I tried the 27# fuse reset and that made no difference.

The car is throwing no HVAC codes.

I figure it is my actuator however I was pretty sure if one went bad they would throw a code. Please help!
Old 07-22-2009, 08:16 PM
Pie R Squared
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Hot Air Drivers Side

I am having the same problem, I have a 2001 coupe, with the dual zone air. The air coming out of the driver’s side is warm while moving but starts to cool down went stopped. The passenger side seems to work fine. I checked HVAC codes and none are present.

I am going to next disconnect the battery for 60 seconds and see if the actuators recalibrate and then check for codes.

My controller was repaired by David Ruberg for the dim display in April of 08 maybe I have a problem with the controller, is there a way to test the conroller?

I have spent the last several days reading A/C posts. Bill Curlee please respond.

Last edited by Pie R Squared; 07-22-2009 at 09:29 PM. Reason: more text
Old 07-23-2009, 12:19 AM
maestro300
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaroguy22
The passengers vents blow cold while the drivers vents blow warm to hot.

There is the proper level of freon in the car.

I tried the 27# fuse reset and that made no difference.

The car is throwing no HVAC codes.

I figure it is my actuator however I was pretty sure if one went bad they would throw a code. Please help!
I'm curious... even though you have no codes... start the car and turn AC on... wait until passenger side gets cool. Now go to the codes/HVAC and hold reset.

Feel if the air DOES get ice cold on the driver's side before turning hot. This was my case (with no codes) meaning the actuator reported correctly but the door position was not correct. I noticed by resetting codes it WILL open the door fully momentarily.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:38 AM
Pie R Squared
Burning Brakes

Mmmmmmmm.....I'll try this tomorrow, and if the drivers side gets cold then what?
Old 07-23-2009, 01:09 PM
bestvettever
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Basmaster
Mmmmmmmm.....I'll try this tomorrow, and if the drivers side gets cold then what?
Hi, if that works, your actuator on the driver side needs either reindexing,(many posts on that subject), or replacement. If it doesn't work, you are probably short on refrigerant. many posts on recharging the AC system.
Good Luck
Old 07-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Camaroguy22
Instructor

I tried it. The drivers side vents went from warm to hot.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Pie R Squared
Burning Brakes

1) Disconnected the battery for 60+ seconds, no codes and left side warm air.
2) Did a 99-HVAC reset while driving, (that was interesting), no codes and left side warm air.

I guess my next step is to find someone to check my R-134 but I don't understand how this would effect the left side vents. I looked at the signals on the 34 pin HVAC controller and I don't see any signals that would monitor the R-134 pressure.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:44 PM
ziexfirestorm
2nd Gear

Default Having the same problem

all my issues started when replacing my battery ,a/c working less each time i drive it which is about twice a week like theres no high blow on a/c. then started doing the same as other guy on this original post. reindexing?
Old 07-23-2009, 02:55 PM
bestvettever
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default AC vent explanation

Originally Posted by Basmaster
1) Disconnected the battery for 60+ seconds, no codes and left side warm air.
2) Did a 99-HVAC reset while driving, (that was interesting), no codes and left side warm air.

I guess my next step is to find someone to check my R-134 but I don't understand how this would effect the left side vents. I looked at the signals on the 34 pin HVAC controller and I don't see any signals that would monitor the R-134 pressure.
Hi, the reason short refrigerant levels cause the left vent to not perform properly before the entire system does not perform properly is because the refrigerant enters the evaporator on the right side, and exits after circulating to the left side, when the levels are low the amount of refrigerant that is there is not enough to complete the cycle before absorbing all the heat in the evaporator coils, so the left side being the last stop on the evaporator cycle gets short changed. That's a somewhat simplistic explanation, but in essence, the system is engineered for a specific amount of refrigerant, and when not enough is there, there will be warm spots on the evap coil.
Check the levels and recharge.
Good Luck
Old 07-23-2009, 06:23 PM
corvette Mark
Pro

low freon................
Old 07-23-2009, 08:57 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Lots of times it has been the left actuator as well. Sounds like low freon or left actuator!

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 07-24-2009, 04:37 PM
maestro300
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
Lots of times it has been the left actuator as well. Sounds like low freon or left actuator!
If my driver's side blows warm air... by doing HVAC reset, it will momentarily blow ice cold air on the driver's side before going hot then back to warm. Unfortunately my actuator could not be indexed; also moved the damper with my finger (actuator removed) and it was still blowing warm air.

What else could it be for mine? If it was the actuator; manually flipping the damper door should have bypassed it right? Why does it turn ice cold the instant I hit reset on HVAC before sweeping to hot (then back to warm) ? I guess I'm a bit confused.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:03 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by maestro300
If my driver's side blows warm air... by doing HVAC reset, it will momentarily blow ice cold air on the driver's side before going hot then back to warm. Unfortunately my actuator could not be indexed; also moved the damper with my finger (actuator removed) and it was still blowing warm air.

What else could it be for mine? If it was the actuator; manually flipping the damper door should have bypassed it right? Why does it turn ice cold the instant I hit reset on HVAC before sweeping to hot (then back to warm) ? I guess I'm a bit confused.
Unfortunately you'd have to get the service manual and go through the diagnostics chart to fix.

Get notified of new replies

To AC Dual Zone Problem

Quick Reply: AC Dual Zone Problem