C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel gauge problum again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 02:10 PM
KING Z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel gauge problum again!!!

I was on my way to the track the other day and half through the ride my gas gauge went to empty and this happened before and i put techron additive in my gas tank and it went away the next day. So now that it happend again i added more techron with sunoco 93 and its been 3 days and my gauge still hasnt gone back to normal does this mean i have to change the sander i hope i dont please help guys.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:27 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

You may have to run a few tanks of techron through it before it really makes a difference. Very common problem.. I'm sure some others will have some insight!
Old 07-07-2009, 02:31 PM
dancin1
Instructor

Default Gas guage...

Yup, I had the same problem, put the Techron in the tank, filled up and it was fine for quite awhile. It just happened again, maybe 4 months later, so I'll do it again. I'm also trying to postpone having the sender units replaced. I'm going to keep doing it till I feel it's time.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:33 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

3 possible issues

1. fouled sensor .... use a good fuel system cleaner and switch to a gasoline with a better detergent package. (I have 126K miles on my '01 almost exclusively on Shell V-Power with no issues)

2. bad ground.... find and clean

3. dead sensor - replace.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

I thought I remember some post about taking it into the dealer for some firmware upgrades. You may wanna try a search on that
Old 07-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

You need to determine if your problem appears at a certain fuel level or if it occurs at a certain driving time. If it appears at a certain level Techron or other similar treatments may be effective. If not sender replacement would be required to fix the problem.

If it occurs after a certain amount of driving time (for most 40 minutes) then it is most likely a firmware problem and no amount of additives will help nor will replacing the senders.

You can go here to get the list of firmware updates for your car:

http://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web

If you have a custom tune the dealer will have to put it back to stock to install the updates.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Mark,

The list that comes up after putting in the vin #, is that firmware updates that should be done or already have been done?
Old 07-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Eric, it's the list of updates that apply to your car. They may or may not have been done as I understand it.

What you do is take the list to your dealer and they can check to see if they've been done. If not, they can install the updates. I haven't tried this yet because I've got a custom tune but it's something I plan for the next round of mods.

Last edited by Mark C5; 07-07-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Mark C5
Eric, it's the list of updates that apply to your car. They may or may not have been done as I understand it.

What you do is take the list to your dealer and they can check to see if they've been done. If not, they can install the updates. I haven't tried this yet because I've got a custom tune but it's something I plan for the next round of mods.
Thanks Mark for the info. As far as my thinking goes, all is working fine right now so I don't think I what the dealer mucking with anything.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:50 PM
KCvetteowner
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KING Z06
.........So now that it happend again i added more techron with sunoco 93 and its been 3 days and my gauge still hasnt gone back to normal does this mean i have to change the sander i hope i dont please help guys.
Are you serious?? Just go into the codes on your DIC and reset them and the gauge returns to working perfectly. If it does not, you have a more serious problem.. I've never heard of adding Techron and "waiting" for your gauge to start working again...

I used to use Techron about every other month but I've switched to Shell and haven't had to use Techron for the last year/3500 miles...

Last edited by KCvetteowner; 07-07-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:20 PM
wfdlt8
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Took mine to the dealership for an alignment today and they also did the updates to the computer for the gas gauge problem. They said it solves the problem for some but not for all. I hope I am one of the luck ones because doing the tank and sensors would be expensive.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:28 PM
KING Z06
Racer

it seems to happen after driving a long time im going to call chevy and see if they can update me
Old 07-07-2009, 04:42 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by KCvetteowner
Are you serious?? Just go into the codes on your DIC and reset them and the gauge returns to working perfectly. If it does not, you have a more serious problem.. I've never heard of adding Techron and "waiting" for your gauge to start working again...

I used to use Techron about every other month but I've switched to Shell and haven't had to use Techron for the last year/3500 miles...
On a lot of cars the sending unit gets stuck or just all out fails in one fuel tank leaving them basically guessing about where their fuel is. I know on mine it did weird things like wouldn't go under half a tank sometimes then would get stuck at 0 sometimes, etc. It was really annoying and more common than you seem to think.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

I've never heard of adding Techron and "waiting" for your gauge to start working again.
If you do a search here for "fuel gauge" you will find hundreds of posts addressing using Techron to clean the fuel senders.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:44 PM
KCvetteowner
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by schpenxel
On a lot of cars the sending unit gets stuck or just all out fails in one fuel tank leaving them basically guessing about where their fuel is. I know on mine it did weird things like wouldn't go under half a tank sometimes then would get stuck at 0 sometimes, etc. It was really annoying and more common than you seem to think.
There is a very common "Gas gauge goes to empty" issue with the fuel system on the Corvette and there is a TSB as mentioned by another poster to attempt to fix this particular problem. The OP posted this error and there is a very simple way to return the gauge to working and that is to reset the codes that are displayed on the DIC. I've had my fuel gauge drop to empty well over 30 times and every time I simply reset the codes and the gauge starts working again. I realize there are many other issues concerning the sending unit that this will not fix but I was addressing the OP.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:58 PM
DaZ06
Advanced

yeha i had the same problem and a few tank fulls with techron did the trick.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:32 PM
KING Z06
Racer

There is a very common "Gas gauge goes to empty" issue with the fuel system on the Corvette and there is a TSB as mentioned by another poster to attempt to fix this particular problem. The OP posted this error and there is a very simple way to return the gauge to working and that is to reset the codes that are displayed on the DIC. I've had my fuel gauge drop to empty well over 30 times and every time I simply reset the codes and the gauge starts working again. I realize there are many other issues concerning the sending unit that this will not fix but I was addressing the OP.
How do you rest the gauge when the low fuel display comes up i hit reset and it goes away but the gas gauge is still below empty and the red check gauges light is still on.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel gauge problum again!!!

Old 07-07-2009, 11:44 PM
KCvetteowner
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by KING Z06
How do you rest the gauge when the low fuel display comes up i hit reset and it goes away but the gas gauge is still below empty and the red check gauges light is still on.

To reset your codes so your gas gauge starts working again:

With key turned or engine running:
Hold OPTIONS button down and press FUEL button 4 times.
Press RESET once and the DIC will display "MANUAL DIAGNOSTICS"

Press OPTIONS to scroll down the list of modules
Press TRIP to scroll up the list of modules

Each module should display "NO CODES" to the right in an ideal situation. Anytime you see a module displaying a number before the word "CODES" you need to go into that module and clear them. To do so press the GAUGES button. Write the codes down if you want and then hold the RESET button until you hear a beep and the DIC displays "NO CODES". Press the TRIP/OPTIONS buttons scrolling up and down the list looking for any other modules with codes. Once you clear the code for the fuel gauge, it will begin to function properly and display the correct fuel level. I've done this well over 30 times, works every time.

Forgot to mention: Press the English/Metric button to get out...

Using Techron will reduce the issue but really who wants to spend the time buying it and adding it to your tank every month or every other month. I would advise anyone to attempt to stay with a particular brand of fuel and see if you can get away without having to spend extra money on Techron. I have tried: BP/QuickTrip/Phillips each separately for several months in the KC area and I still got the gauge dropping to empty. I have used Shell V-Power for one year and 3500 miles and so far I have not had the issue occur. I'm not a fan of Shell because their stations are rare in Kansas City but it works for me so I just have to plan a bit.

Last edited by KCvetteowner; 07-07-2009 at 11:53 PM. Reason: forgot to add how to get out of the codes on the DIC
Old 07-07-2009, 11:51 PM
KCvetteowner
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mark C5
If you do a search here for "fuel gauge" you will find hundreds of posts addressing using Techron to clean the fuel senders.
I had "waiting" in quotes. Like I've said, I never heard of anyone adding Techron and "WAITING" for the gauge to start working. You go into your codes on the DIC and clear them and the gauge starts working immediately. Read my post above this one.

Who drives around with their gas gauge on empty and the "Check Gauges" light on when you can reset it in 60 seconds via the DIC??
Old 07-08-2009, 01:17 AM
KING Z06
Racer

To reset your codes so your gas gauge starts working again:

With key turned or engine running:
Hold OPTIONS button down and press FUEL button 4 times.
Press RESET once and the DIC will display "MANUAL DIAGNOSTICS"

Press OPTIONS to scroll down the list of modules
Press TRIP to scroll up the list of modules

Each module should display "NO CODES" to the right in an ideal situation. Anytime you see a module displaying a number before the word "CODES" you need to go into that module and clear them. To do so press the GAUGES button. Write the codes down if you want and then hold the RESET button until you hear a beep and the DIC displays "NO CODES". Press the TRIP/OPTIONS buttons scrolling up and down the list looking for any other modules with codes. Once you clear the code for the fuel gauge, it will begin to function properly and display the correct fuel level. I've done this well over 30 times, works every time.

Forgot to mention: Press the English/Metric button to get out...

Using Techron will reduce the issue but really who wants to spend the time buying it and adding it to your tank every month or every other month. I would advise anyone to attempt to stay with a particular brand of fuel and see if you can get away without having to spend extra money on Techron. I have tried: BP/QuickTrip/Phillips each separately for several months in the KC area and I still got the gauge dropping to empty. I have used Shell V-Power for one year and 3500 miles and so far I have not had the issue occur. I'm not a fan of Shell because their stations are rare in Kansas City but it works for me so I just have to plan a bit.
Thanks alot man i went into my MANUAL DIAGNOSTICS and cleared the code and now the gauge is working again.

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge problum again!!!