C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C is charged,compressor running, not getting cold.Any ideas?

Old 07-09-2009, 11:24 PM
Blown427conv
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK the results are in...low pressure is 30, high press is 75. Acording to the low side gauge it is right on ht elow side of good, the high side is very low though. The high side is way down around 30 with the compressor off, and goes up to 75 with it on. Think the low side stayed fairly consistant on or off. Compressor always runs, and fans do too. OK, what is the general consensus? I though of maybe adding a bit more freon, but waiting for the wisdom of this forumn to guide me.
PS: I did the flasher bypass with the cutting 1 wire and jumping onto the other and it works GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only cost me about $12 and my turn signals finally work all of the time.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:46 AM
wildbadbill
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for most cars (don't think vette is different) with the AC off you should have about 90-100psi on both sides.If it's on than the low drops to about 40's and the high should be around 200.From what you say you're way low on 134A bro.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:50 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You are low on freon bud!!!
Old 07-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Jetts4u2
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The high side pressure should be way over 200 PSI, so your freon is low. Except, the low side pressure should not be anywhere near 30, the compressor cuts out at 20 PSI, so it should be disengaging the clutch frequently and you should see it. Add more freon and see what happens. My compressor went bad and my orifice tube was still clean, so I wouldn't change it until I knew I had a real problem.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:18 AM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default What is an orfice tube remover?

Originally Posted by bestvettever
Hi, The Orifice Tube, which acts as the expansion valve on this system is located in the evaporator tube where the rear and front tubes are joined by bolts. Also the vette system is a Non Cycling Design, The comp should be running whenever the AC is on. Instructions Below.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Expansion (Orifice) Tube Replacement
Tools Required
J 26549-E Orifice Tube Remover
J 39400-A Halogen Leak Detector
Removal Procedure

Recover the refrigerant from the A/C system. Refer to Refrigerant Recovery and Recharging .
Remove the front evaporator tube to rear evaporator tube retaining bolt.

Important
Cap or tape the open rear evaporator tube immediately to prevent contamination.

Disconnect the front evaporator tube from the rear evaporator tube, discard the O-ring.

Important
Cap or tape the open front evaporator tube immediately.

Using J 26549-E remove the orifice tube.

Inspect the expansion (orifice) tube for the following conditions and clean or replace with a new tube as indicated:
Broken plastic frame; replace the tube
Filter screen (1, 2) torn, damaged or plugged with fine gritty material; replace the tube
Brass orifice tube (3) damaged or plugged; replace the tube
Filter screen (1) coated with metal chips, flakes or slivers; coating may be removed with low pressure shop air and reused if cleaned satisfactorily If reusing the orifice tube, install a new O-ring (4)
Installation Procedure

Remove the cap or tape from the front evaporator tube.
Install the tube (short filter screen outlet side first) fully into the front evaporator tube.

Remove the cap or tape from the rear evaporator tube.
Install new O-rings to the exapansion tube. Refer to O-Ring Replacement

Install the front evaporator tube to the rear evaporator tube.

Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the front evaporator tube to rear evaporator tube retaining bolt. Tighten
Tighten the bolt to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Evacuate and recharge the A/C system. Refer to Refrigerant Recovery and Recharging .
Leak test the fittings of the component using J 39400-A .

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The orifice tube is located inside the front evaporator tube, the front and rear evaporator tubes join together by a bolted flange, back near the firewall along side the engine. But you are going about trying to fix this problem the wrong way. I'm not criticising, just trying to be helpful. The condition of no cold air in the car does not have to be either the comp, or the orifice. There are other possibilities. Logical diagnosing will save you a lot of headaches. You should have a set of guages to diagnose the problem. Even if you evacuate, flush, and replace the tube, you need both high, and low side guages to properly pull a vacumn before recharging, as the proper way is to pull vacumn from both sides, and then to check both pressures during recharge to evaluate the success of the procedure.
Other posibilities that could cause the same symptoms you are having are, bad control head, bad actuators, or need for actuator recalibration, clogged condenser, bad compressor control valve, improper charge, improper refrigerant, air or moisture in system etc, just to name the most common culprits.
Post the high and low side pressures at 1000, and 2000, rpm's and the ambient temps, and we can help a lot more.
Good Luck

Used a pair of needle nose vise grips to remove my orfice tube. It was very tight and I thought it would break trying to remove it.
What is the orfice tube remover? What does it look like?
I lubricaed the orfice tube on the new one with refirgerant oil before replacing it. BIGHANK
Old 07-10-2009, 08:20 AM
Blown427conv
Racer

Thanks, I'm going to add some freon today and cross my fingers. The compressor never cycles (runs continuously) and the low side gauge is in the blue where it says it should be, albeit right at the bottom. It was the high side reading very low that had me wondering. I'll charge it and post the results this afternoon.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:34 AM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Blown427conv;1570733844]OK the results are in...low pressure is 30, high press is 75. Acording to the low side gauge it is right on ht elow side of good, the high side is very low though. The high side is way down around 30 with the compressor off, and goes up to 75 with it on. Think the low side stayed fairly consistant on or off. Compressor always runs, and fans do too. OK, what is the general consensus? I though of maybe adding a bit more freon, but waiting for the wisdom of this forumn to guide me.
QUOTE]

Your compressor has failed. (you said it was running full time turning) If it is running continuous and you have 30 psi on the suction with only 70 on the discharge your compressor needs replacing. The orifice tube is not the problem. You can add more freon if you choose and your suction pressure might go up to 34 or so but I doubt the discharge pressure exceeds 80 psi. (I would expect around 250 psi.)

There is an internal failure. Continued running might put more contamination in the system. I would recommend:

1. Replace the compressor with new compressor. ( I stay away from rebuilds due to high failure rate)

2. Replace the receiver dryer and orifice tube then flush the system with refrigerant flush solvent.

3. After flushing and you are sure it is clean replace the orifice tube and dryer (just do a search on ebay under auto parts for orifice tube tool). I highly recommend buying for about $30 the tool to pull the orifice tube. If you break the orifice tube off inside the line with needle nose pliers you will be

Best of luck in your decision.

Last edited by jimcork1; 07-10-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Blown427conv
Racer

Ugh, I didn't want to hear that. What do you think the gauges would look like if the orifice tube were plugged? Do you think the suction would be low and the high side high? What about the POA valve? I saw one listed for this car on the Autozone website? I think it goes in the back of the compressor? Would a Z28 or Trans Am have the same compressor? I can't seem to get Corvette parts locally for some reason, they are non-stocked items here.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:50 AM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown427conv
Ugh, I didn't want to hear that. What do you think the gauges would look like if the orifice tube were plugged? Do you think the suction would be low and the high side high? What about the POA valve? I saw one listed for this car on the Autozone website? I think it goes in the back of the compressor? Would a Z28 or Trans Am have the same compressor? I can't seem to get Corvette parts locally for some reason, they are non-stocked items here.
If the orifice tube were plugged there would be no flow of liquid freon and the pump/compressor would have very high pressure and possibly vent through the Pop off valve to protect blowing the hosed. I would expect pressures of 350 PSI or higher.

From what I have seen the Z28/TA don't use the same compressor but you could check. I have found a vet compressor NEW spectra Premium for $250 + shipping. Delco new is around $400.

I have only seen a POA valve on my son's 72 454 Corvette but not on a C5. There is a safety high pressure relief on the system though.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Blown427conv
Racer

I put nearly 1 full 12oz can of freon in the car and it now cools great. It wouldn't cool on the drivers side at first but I continued to cycle the heat and cool back and forth while waiting for it to get to the full position and now it is ok. It does not stay as cool on the drivers side as the passengers side when idling for a while but when I get moving again it cools right back down. Seems vacuum related to the engine but I'm not sure. When I installed the new engine I added a 4" length of vacuum line at the back of the manifold, but that should't make a difference. It cycles from defrost, to head, to feet, to combo fine. Any ideas on it not staying cool on the drivers side at idle?
Old 07-10-2009, 10:02 PM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like it may be still a bit low on freon.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:09 PM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rebelheart
Sounds like it may be still a bit low on freon.
I think rebelheart is correct.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:18 AM
bestvettever
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Proper Charge

I put nearly 1 full 12oz can of freon in the car and it now cools great. It wouldn't cool on the drivers side at first but I continued to cycle the heat and cool back and forth while waiting for it to get to the full position and now it is ok. It does not stay as cool on the drivers side as the passengers side when idling for a while but when I get moving again it cools right back down. Seems vacuum related to the engine but I'm not sure. When I installed the new engine I added a 4" length of vacuum line at the back of the manifold, but that should't make a difference. It cycles from defrost, to head, to feet, to combo fine. Any ideas on it not staying cool on the drivers side at idle?
Hi, good choice to try first blown427. Now that you have the equiptment, you need to follow the proper procedure to get the charge right. There were posts by plastifan about the proper charge levels that were excellant, and would put the system at optimum levels. In a nutshell you should strive for the following levels.
1, It is best to charge and check levels on the vette at 2000 rpm's, it can be done at 1000, or 1500 accurately, but you have to compensate for the lower rpms, with higher pressures. As the rpm's increase the low side will go lower, and the high side higher.
2, At 2000 rpm's with an 80% relative humidity, and ambient temp at 80 degrees, the low side should be 34psig, and the high side right around 250psig, this should yield at least 50 degrees or lower at the center duct with a thermometer.
If the temp is 90 degrees and the humidity is 80% the low side is 39psig, and the high around 310psig, this should yield 67 or lower at the center duct.
Humidity levels do make slight differences in the optimum read levels, as do temps. But if you get close to those numbers you will have an optimum system.
3, The proper way to make sure you have optimum levels is to evacuate the system, as you don't really know who worked on it before you, and might have let air or moisture, or even the wrong refrigerant in it. Then pull a vacumn of at least 29inches, for a few hours to dry it out, then recharge it being sure to add some proper oil. If it hasn't been disassembled, usually about 4 to 6 ounces of oil will be enough to protect the system. If you suspect a leak, which you should, because refrigerant doesn't wear out it leaks out, a bit of dye added will help you find it.
4, To answer your question about the difference in temps at the driver side duct when idling, this usually means that it is short of refrigerant. The refrigerant enters the evaporator on the passenger side duct and if there is not sufficient refrigerant in the system it does not circulate the entire evaporator before losing some of it's cold. If the difference in temps was happening at all engine speeds, that would usually be an actuator problem.
Hope this helps--Good Luck
Old 07-11-2009, 06:55 AM
Blown427conv
Racer

Great advice bestvette, I'll check the pressures as you suggested today. I did think about evacuating and reservicing it, I have the equipment available, just have to buy the freon and oil. Might just add some depending on what the gauges show though and see how that does. It was over 100 degrees yesterday when I added the can and the gauges were right at the top of the safe color at idle. Not sure what the pressure was though but will definately check it at 2000RPM today.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:29 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

OK the results are in...low pressure is 30, high press is 75. Acording to the low side gauge it is right on ht elow side of good, the high side is very low though. The high side is way down around 30 with the compressor off, and goes up to 75 with it on. Think the low side stayed fairly consistant on or off. Compressor always runs, and fans do too. OK, what is the general consensus? I though of maybe adding a bit more freon, but waiting for the wisdom of this forumn to guide me.
PS: I did the flasher bypass with the cutting 1 wire and jumping onto the other and it works GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only cost me about $12 and my turn signals finally work all of the time.
PM sent.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

With a 75 PSI high side pressure, that tells me that the compressor is bypassing high side pressure. Theres a bypass valve built into the back of the compressor. With the low charge that valve may have been malfunctioning and when you added R-134, it may have allowed that by-pass valve to work properly again. NO WAY will adding 12 oz of fluid raise the high side pressure that much by it self. If it were that low, the low side would have been out of spec to. Measure the system pressures on BOTH the high and LOW side with the proper enviormental factors and HVAC parameters and see what you get.

BC
Old 07-12-2009, 06:55 AM
Blown427conv
Racer

I added more freon bringing both high and low side gauges to the top of the safe zone on the gauges and now I have cold air on the drivers side as well as the passengers side, even at idle. When I checked the pressure with the engine at 1500RPM both readings were low before I added more, so it definately makes a difference servicing the system at idle vs 1500RPM. I found that I have a small leak at the low side Schrader valve that I can't stop. The valve is tight in there and I tried popping it a couple of times to get it to seat with no luck. I put the cap on tight, but I will have to evac the system to replace it. At least I know the system is functional. Thanks to everyone for helping me figure this out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/C is charged,compressor running, not getting cold.Any ideas?