C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Trac. Control related problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 12:20 PM
bluester
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Another Trac. Control related problem

It started driving up I-96 with the cruise on in my 99 coupe, I switched lanes from center to right and the cruise shut off. I thought it a bit strange but it didn't do it again the rest of the way to Lansing from Taylor. Anyway, a couple days later I started having the traction control flip flop between On, Off and Comp mode. I can sometimes wiggle the turn signal stalk and make it change and sometimes a little steering input will make it change. I don't have any malfunction messages on the DIC.
I looked at a bunch of threads and saw the huge host of problems associated with trac. control. Am I just in the early stages of this and
am going to get the "service" messages here soon ? Aside from the chime every time it switches from one mode to another I could probably live with it if it doesn't get worse. Does it sound like the steering position sensor ? I haven't had any of the loss of power, or individual brake applied symptoms, just the cruise being turned off.
Also if I start the car and the DIC says the trac control is ON, I can't turn it off the the button.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:47 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

[ I don't have any malfunction messages on the DIC.

Also if I start the car and the DIC says the trac control is ON, I can't turn it off the the button.[/QUOTE]

You might want to pull the traction contol button\switch on the console and take a look at it. Maybe the contacts dirty or sticky?
Old 06-25-2009, 03:34 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,961 Likes on 5,347 Posts

You may have a situation starting with your steering sensor. If it was a wheel speed sensor you would get an ABS warning as well. Does your car have Active Handling (RPO JL4 was an option in 99)? You should use the DIC to check the diagnostics to see if you have any codes set.

The console switch is a simple contact switch that sends a ground signal to the BCM. The BCM then sends a command over the data link to the EBCM. Problems there could be with the ground point by the drivers side A pillar, the switch, the BCM or the EBCM.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 06-25-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:31 PM
bluester
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Jl4

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
You may have a situation starting with your steering sensor. If it was a wheel speed sensor you would get an ABS warning as well. Does your car have Active Handling (RPO JL4 was an option in 99)? You should use the DIC to check the diagnostics to see if you have any codes set.

The console switch is a simple contact switch that sends a ground signal to the BCM. The BCM then sends a command over the data link to the EBCM. Problems there could be with the ground point by the drivers side A pillar, the switch, the BCM or the EBCM.

Bill
Yes, I do have the active handling. I did look at the codes on the DIC but man do they go by fast ! What do the letters mean like scm mean ? The list I printed out only has single letters before the numbers.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:45 PM
timemender
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bluester
Yes, I do have the active handling.

I did look at the codes on the DIC but man do they go by fast ! What do the letters mean like scm mean ?

The list I printed out only has single letters before the numbers.

From the service manual -

Once the IPC has displayed all 11 modules, the system goes into the manual mode which allows selection of each module using combinations of DIC buttons.

The manual mode can also be entered at any time during the automatic sequence by pressing any button except "E/M".

Once the IPC displays "manual diagnostics," you may select a particular module by pressing the "options" button to go forward or the "trip" button to go back.

Once a system is selected and a DTC is displayed, if more than one are present; press "gages" to move forward or "fuel" to go back.

To exit the diagnostic mode at any time, press "E/M". If you want to erase or "clear" codes, press "reset."

Clearing a code does not repair a problem. You are simply erasing the evidence of it in the module's memory.

· 10 PCM Powertrain Control Module page 6-357 - 6-361
· 28 TCS Traction Control system ABS on page 5-86
· ?? RTD Real Time damping page 3-136
· 40 BCM Body Control Module page 8-405 UTD Page 8-727
· 60 IPC Instrument Panel Cluster page 8-508
· 80 radio page 8-213
· 99 HVAC Heater Vent-Air Conditioning page 1-118
· A0 LDCM Left Door Control module page 8-904 to 8-951
· A1 RDCM Right Door Control Module page 8-904 to 8-951
· AC SCM Seat Control module page 8-1064 -8-1082
· B0 RFA Remote Function Actuation page 8-676

-
Old 06-26-2009, 02:59 PM
spdracr39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just food for thought about the switch. The 99's wont go into comp mode while the car is moving you must be stopped for like 7 seconds while you hold the button. If it is going there while you are rolling its probably not the button causing it. Good Luck !

Get notified of new replies

To Another Trac. Control related problem

Quick Reply: Another Trac. Control related problem