C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC makes knocking sound.....no cold air. HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 03:54 PM
nightman06
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default AC makes knocking sound.....no cold air. HELP!!

AC was working great up until about two weeks ago. Then I went home for about two weeks. Came back and tried to turn on the AC. I got "air" out the vents but not cold air. Also, I had a very noticeable knocking only when the AC was selected. When normal vent selected all was fine. I could feel the knock in the clutch when I lightly depressed the peddle. This problem went on for about a week. I would only engage AC for about a sec to see if it was still the same. Tried this about 6-7 times over a week period. Now it wont even stay engaged. I turn it on, it knocks around for 1-2 secs and stops. The compressor is turning. I can see that just by looking. And the pressure in the AC lines is good.

PLEASE HELP!! Its about 200 degrees here. Im dying. Thanks!!
Old 06-21-2009, 11:31 AM
nightman06
Racer

Someone must have seen this at some point.....?
Old 06-21-2009, 12:20 PM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nightman06
Someone must have seen this at some point.....?
No but now I have.

You said the AC line pressure is ok. So what is AC line pressure ?
High Low? while running? stopped?
Old 06-21-2009, 09:52 PM
casslaw
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The knocking noise might very well be your a/c clutch taking a dump on you. If it seizes or the clutch goes out, you're gonna be in trouble. I just replaced the compressor on mine. It wasn't fun, but doable if you're good with tools. I used a re-man compressor and now it blows me out of the car. If you have pressure and no a/c either the clutch isn't engaging or is just bad gone. Sorry
Old 06-21-2009, 10:28 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

It seems like that you would not be able to check the high and low side pressures if the compressor was not working.
Maybe the compressor is working but the clutch is slipping, and getting ready to fail. Are you sure a low freon pressure switch is not keeping the clutch from staying engaged?

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 06-21-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:19 PM
nightman06
Racer

If I can see the compressor spinning than wouldnt that indicate the clutch is still good?

I know it sounds cheesy and probably inaccurate, but I just used one of the A/C refills with the gauge on it. Turned the AC on max and plugged the AC into the valve. It read green.....

Im very handy with tools, and have done numerous heavy jobs on this car. However, Im really in the dark when it comes to the AC system. A step by step, or process of elimination would really help here. THanks so much guys!!
Old 06-22-2009, 08:25 AM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nightman06
If I can see the compressor spinning than wouldnt that indicate the clutch is still good?

I know it sounds cheesy and probably inaccurate, but I just used one of the A/C refills with the gauge on it. Turned the AC on max and plugged the AC into the valve. It read green.....

Im very handy with tools, and have done numerous heavy jobs on this car. However, Im really in the dark when it comes to the AC system. A step by step, or process of elimination would really help here. THanks so much guys!!

NO. Make sure the flex plate is turning not just the pulley.

NO. This will only measure low side pressure and not determine if the compressor is running. In addition if you have a can attached it will show can pressure and not give a real pressure reading.

1) Turn the flex plate by hand to see if it is free and the compressor turns with no roughness.

2) Run the system and look at the pulley / flex plate to see if they are all turning

3) Read the high and low pressure readings with a gauge set to determine how the system is operating. This will give you the answers.

So far you have insufficient data to help solve the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To AC makes knocking sound.....no cold air. HELP!!

Quick Reply: AC makes knocking sound.....no cold air. HELP!!