C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 left tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 06:05 PM
Mewn
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Default 2 left tires?

So I was looking for some rear tires on tire rack, found some BF Goodrich Gforce TA's and ordered 2 for the back. I checked my shipping conformation today and it shows they are sending me 2 left tires! I call and they say they stopped production on the right side and there are none available. They sent them to me because some people flip them over. Has anyone heard of this? Should I keep it and flip it or return them and get a different set?
Any help is much appreciated. They were $200 a piece btw..
Old 06-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Mewn
So I was looking for some rear tires on tire rack, found some BF Goodrich Gforce TA's and ordered 2 for the back. I checked my shipping conformation today and it shows they are sending me 2 left tires! I call and they say they stopped production on the right side and there are none available. They sent them to me because some people flip them over. Has anyone heard of this? Should I keep it and flip it or return them and get a different set?
Any help is much appreciated. They were $200 a piece btw..
I don't know about Goodrich. I have the Goodyear GSD3's. Theses tires are only allowed to rotate in one direction. There is also a direction of rotation indicator on the tire itself. If yours are the same, you cannot "flip them over".

HTH

FYI, I just checked. Those tires are unidirectional (no flipping)

Last edited by Bluefire; 06-11-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:12 PM
ljthe2nd
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I don't see why you couldn't mount two left tires on the rear. On one tire the inside would be on the inside and the outside would be on the outside, but when you flip the tire for the other one. The inside of the tire will now be on the outside and visa versa. As long as they are not white lettered, etc. who will know.

I don't know if it will hurt anything to do this. (I can't see how it could it will be rotating in the correct direction)
Old 06-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Mewn
Pro

Aslong as the tred is symmetrical and the arrows are pointing in the correct direction it should be ok?
Old 06-11-2009, 07:41 PM
ljthe2nd
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Aslong as the tred is symmetrical and the arrows are pointing in the correct direction it should be ok?
Even if the tread pattern isn't symmetrical as long as the arrow is going in the right direction that should be all that matters.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Mewn
Pro

Thank you very much.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:21 PM
EStreeter
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what I'm thinking.

But you don't actually "flip" them - if they are both left side tires, one is mounted with the outside out on the left side and the other is mounted with the inside out on the right side - this way the rotation is correct. If they were "flipped" then one would be rotating opposite its intended direction.

I think the correct tire rotation direction is more important than the which sidewall is out.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:01 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 149 Posts

Yes. I checked the tread pattern and they are in fact symmetrical so you should be good to go. As long as the sidewalls are the same on both sides, no one is going to know the difference (if there is any).
Old 06-13-2009, 10:57 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Michelin PS2's have a non-symmetric tread pattern and there is no left and right. You'll be fine.

Peter
Old 06-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

People seem to be confusing directional tires (designed to roll in one direction, usually V-shaped tread pattern, usually has arrow indicating which way it should roll), with asymmetrical tires, which the tread pattern differs between inside and outside edge of the tires.

Here's the kicker though....the BFG Gforce T/A tires are BOTH of directional, and asymmetrical tread design, so they needed to be sold as a dedicated "right", or "left" tire.

I can't tell you what the consequence of running the asymmetrical tire "wrong" will be, probably something you'll never notice...but you can make that decision when you receive and see the tires.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:05 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

I guess this needs to be more clear. There are 7 different types of g-Force T/A tires. Each one has a longer model number after the T/A. So, which model did you buy?

The g-Force T/A KD? This tire appears to be discontinued with the stock being sold off.

And I'm not confused. The PS2's are directional and asymetric with the same tire used on both sides.

Peter
Old 06-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

The PS2 is not a directional tire. It is asymmetric.

If it were both, there would be a specific left and right tire to buy....you simply can't have it both ways.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:29 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me
The PS2 is not a directional tire. It is asymmetric.

If it were both, there would be a specific left and right tire to buy....you simply can't have it both ways.

Yo're right, the PS's have rotoation arrows but the PS2's are marked "outside". I've had both and am getting them confused.

Peter
Old 06-14-2009, 02:36 AM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Here's the kicker though....the BFG Gforce T/A tires are BOTH of directional, and asymmetrical tread design, so they needed to be sold as a dedicated "right", or "left" tire.
Not the ones being sold at Tire Rack. The BFG g-Force T/A KDW (I'm assuming this is the particular tire the OP is talking about) comes in both a traditional tread pattern, which is symmetrical, and a new tread pattern, which is asymmetrical. At this time, per Tire Rack's website, only the traditional tread pattern tire is being sold. The new tread pattern tire doesn't appear to be available yet from Tire Rack. If BFG is phasing over to the new tread pattern for this tire, it would make sense that the traditional tread pattern is being phased out, thus the OP's comment about being told production had stopped (on the traditional tread pattern tire).
Old 06-14-2009, 07:30 AM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by thisMSGgood4me
Not the ones being sold at Tire Rack. The BFG g-Force T/A KDW (I'm assuming this is the particular tire the OP is talking about).
The OP is talking about the discontinued g-Force T/A KD..not the KDW.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Force+T%2FA+KD

Old 06-14-2009, 01:44 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

The OP is talking about the discontinued g-Force T/A KD..not the KDW.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Force+T%2FA+KD

Sorry, the OP didn't say which g-Force T/A's he was talking about, and Tire Rack doesn't show the KD when you search for tires based on vehicle (a vert, which is what I assume the OP has based on his avatar), only the KDW. Searching a bit more for the appropriately-sized rear tire, I do see the KD, which is on closeout. I stand corrected.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:02 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Are they Goodrich g-force T/A KD, KDW, KDW2, or KDWS????
All but the last are directional, so you would need to mount the tire so that it is rotating in the right direction. If you are not worried about wet performance, it probably does not matter how you mount them.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:02 PM
turboc5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only problem I see is that the outer tread blocks are larger for better handling. If you run 2 left tires on one axle going the correct direction one will have large outer tread blocks, one will have small tread blocks. Its hard to tell the diffrence in the tirerack picture but when you get a larger tire (275+) they will be vastly diffrent. Your car under hard cornering will handle diffrent from turning left to right. If you want it to handle the same in both directions in the dry you would have to install the right side backwords. The wet would be a diffrent story though My father had these in a 275 and a 315 on his mustang. Good tire, sticky but they get very noisy when they wear. I believe thats why they are fasing them out.

Get notified of new replies

To 2 left tires?

Quick Reply: 2 left tires?