C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Spots on Butt- Please advise

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 04:01 PM
jobear
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Black Spots on Butt- Please advise

2001 Cpe with 62K miles. Bought last October. Car in immaculate condition. I am now getting black spots show up on the rear end after a drive. A lot of black spots. Probably soot of some kind. It never used to do this. I have put a new Corsa exhaust system a while back. I some some spots on the garage floor and some black on the chrome tips as well. Not a lot. I keep them spotless but I can see black that has dried like a water base. It cleans right off.
I always idle to or near operating speeds before driving and do not make short trips to the corner store. It is a garage queen with only 2400 miles since october.
The black spots do dust right off but have become more aggressive.
Probably took a 60 mile drive today with a couple of stops, and this is what I have.
I posted this on the regular forum chat and nobdy thought it was anything to worry about but it is worse all the time it seems, and I am concerned.
Any ideas? --- thanks in advance.

[IMG][/IMG]lately.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:36 PM
EStreeter
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first time I used a top end cleaner in my engine and took it out for drive to blow out the crud my rear end looked like that or worse. It was covered with soot and other stuff that probably blew out of the cylinders after becoming loosened by the cleaner. I have Spiral Gray Metallic paint so its not so noticeable but there is usually some spots like that on the back whenever I wash it.

Those spots could be from exhaust emmissions or maybe something on the roads you drive. The rear end must create a small vacumm that sucks up stuff. Mine gets real dusty if there is anything loose on the roads.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:38 PM
huttler
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Do you have a cam? My car does the same thing, it started after my cam install. I think it's soot blowing out of the exhaust. If you don't have any engine mods, your engine might not be running properly due to a bad sensor, etc.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:42 PM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nothing to worry-all cars blow $hit out the exhaust--If it was wet than that would be signs of blowby
Old 06-09-2009, 05:10 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

After using a claybar I applied several coats of Zymol wax (carnuba)

As mentioned, a good top end cleaner (like Seafoam) will help out after a few treatments. I did all of this plus added an oil catch can, with great results.

Last edited by ~Josh; 06-09-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:33 PM
jobear
Racer

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
After using a claybar I applied several coats of Zymol wax (carnuba)

As mentioned, a good top end cleaner (like Seafoam) will help out after a few treatments. I did all of this plus added an oil catch can, with great results.
Like I mentioned it dusts right off. But I am concerned that it is increasing.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:34 PM
jobear
Racer

Originally Posted by huttler
Do you have a cam? My car does the same thing, it started after my cam install. I think it's soot blowing out of the exhaust. If you don't have any engine mods, your engine might not be running properly due to a bad sensor, etc.
No engine mods at all. How do I check for a bad sensor? Mechanic?
thanks
Old 06-09-2009, 05:37 PM
huttler
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jobear
No engine mods at all. How do I check for a bad sensor? Mechanic?
thanks
It was just a guess, if you haven't noticed anything wrong such as decreased gas mileage, I wouldn't take it in.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:44 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

It almost looks like excessive condensation being held in the mufflers!

It might come out during the initial begining of your drive and then collect soot and stick to the back end!

If you are seeing this after a drive, then what I'd do is during the middle of the drive pull over and clean the backend and continue and on the next stop see if it has built back up - if it has then you will have a deeper problem, which'll be for another discussion

Give this a shot!

Thanks,Matt
Old 06-09-2009, 05:49 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

If you blew part of your cats out or even part of them, it would do this. Cats trap soot and there is a strong vacuum behind the car when driving that will throw any particles leaving the exhaust on to the rear bumper. I have no cats and I always have a considerable amount of soot on my rear after a drive. That's the cost of performance.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:32 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by jobear
Like I mentioned it dusts right off. But I am concerned that it is increasing.
I brought up the top end cleaner and catch can for a reason. Your '01 has the much lamented piston rings that supposedly aren't the best for oil control. You mentioned the problem getting worse right? Perhaps it's a carbon issue like my '01 had.

After a few Seafoam treatments the problem is nearly non-existant (black specks)
Old 06-09-2009, 07:25 PM
bubs99
Racer

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...f7b4cf4f1e.jpg
Old 06-09-2009, 07:45 PM
jobear
Racer

???
Old 06-09-2009, 07:48 PM
jobear
Racer

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
It almost looks like excessive condensation being held in the mufflers!

It might come out during the initial begining of your drive and then collect soot and stick to the back end!

If you are seeing this after a drive, then what I'd do is during the middle of the drive pull over and clean the backend and continue and on the next stop see if it has built back up - if it has then you will have a deeper problem, which'll be for another discussion

Give this a shot!

Thanks,Matt
Good idea - I'll try that. I just went out and checked and although they seem for the most part to dust right off I do see a bit of a residue when I use a finger to test how easy they wipe off. Also just for info I always use Chevron super.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:06 PM
jobear
Racer

Originally Posted by huttler
It was just a guess, if you haven't noticed anything wrong such as decreased gas mileage, I wouldn't take it in.
I think my mileage may be down a bit.

Get notified of new replies

To Black Spots on Butt- Please advise

Quick Reply: Black Spots on Butt- Please advise