C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Window Motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Galalic
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Window Motor

Hey all,

My passenger-side window doesn't work any more. Nothing shocking, I know; it's a motor issue, as I can hear the electrical relay clicking if I press the button.

Well, I recently had my '99 at the dealership to get a new battery, and get a diagnostic done, so I figured I'd have them check out the window, as well. It needs a new motor assembly, and their quote was around $770.

Is this reasonable? I don't have the tools or the expertise to perform the labor myself, so just ordering the part is insufficient. However, I don't want to get gouged; worst case, I can just live without the window functioning.

-Rog
Old 05-13-2009, 11:21 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

That is probably reasonable if you are going to have a dealer do it.
The part lists for about $450, and at $100/hour for labor, that is about right.

You could buy the part at a discount for $250 to $300, or have it rebuilt for $100 if you decide to do the labor yourself.
It does not take any special tools, just time and patience to remove the door panel.

Very seldom is the motor actually burned up. Usually they just stick and if you can get them unstuck by tapping on the motor, it will work for awhile.
I think what happens is the motor drives up against the stops, and then gets forced against the weatherstrip when you close the door, and ends up jamming the motor and drive gear. I have had almost brand new window regulators stick, but I have been able to get them unstuck, so now I bump the window down a fraction of an inch from full up to reverse the motor just enough to unload the motor and drive mechanism. Since I have been doing that, my windows have been working.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 05-13-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:39 AM
VideoGameGeek
Drifting

I had the same problem. Remove the panel, open it up to where you can get at the actual crank motor. Remove the motor cover by backing out hte 4 screws that hold it. Remember JUST THE COVER, not the motor itself. The electromagnets should spin rather freely, mine didn't. Do your self a favor, wear some gloves (or rick bloody knuckles and a string of cussing) and give the motor a good hard spin to free it up. No problems since then.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:41 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Old 05-15-2009, 08:15 AM
SJSZ06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this same problem... took the entire mechanism out and cleaned the motor commutator (400 grit paper).

Here's the entire mechanism:

Closeup of the motor/gear housing:

I think it's best to leave this spool alone!

I put new grease on the motor shafts where it would lube the bearings.
The brushes are in the ivory part, the motor armature can be pulled out,
but be aware you will have to hold the brushes back while re-inserting.

I forgot to take a picture of the armature assembly by itself...

Added a bit of grease wherever I thought it would do some good,
then put it all back together. It's been working well ever since (my Z is a daily driver).
I never could see what was keeping it from working.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:16 PM
kg54trains
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Galalic
Hey all,

My passenger-side window doesn't work any more. Nothing shocking, I know; it's a motor issue, as I can hear the electrical relay clicking if I press the button.

Well, I recently had my '99 at the dealership to get a new battery, and get a diagnostic done, so I figured I'd have them check out the window, as well. It needs a new motor assembly, and their quote was around $770.

Is this reasonable? I don't have the tools or the expertise to perform the labor myself, so just ordering the part is insufficient. However, I don't want to get gouged; worst case, I can just live without the window functioning.

-Rog
I have had purchased a motor at discount and had a body shop do the install. Labor was less than 100.00 and things worked great. Be sure it is the motor and not the regulator. It, regulator, must be ok or the new motor replacement will not work.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

I would be happy to help anyone out with a window regulator.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 05-18-2009, 06:19 PM
Galalic
Intermediate

Wow, thanks for all the input! I'm kind of leery of taking off the door panel myself; I drive my car, but have no experience fixing it. But if the price sounds about fair for replacement, I may just have them do it. Or ask if they'd install it if I bought the piece elsewhere. I don't have any shops locally that I trust, so I'm kind of stuck going to the dealer.

Again, thanks everyone!

-Rog
Old 05-18-2009, 06:47 PM
HiVoltge
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Great post... I have to do this due to my recently problematic drivers side window..

Last edited by HiVoltge; 05-19-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:53 AM
SJSZ06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Galalic
Wow, thanks for all the input! I'm kind of leery of taking off the door panel myself; I drive my car, but have no experience fixing it. But if the price sounds about fair for replacement, I may just have them do it. Or ask if they'd install it if I bought the piece elsewhere. I don't have any shops locally that I trust, so I'm kind of stuck going to the dealer.

Again, thanks everyone!

-Rog
The door panel really isn't that hard to remove... here's a link to
more door info than you probably want (right here on CF!): DoorLock/Window
Old 05-19-2009, 12:05 PM
HiVoltge
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Is it just me or was there not a post in this thread identifying where we could buy a rebuilt pwr window unit? was it deleted ? if so please send the info via pm....
Old 05-19-2009, 12:19 PM
JAY KOCH
Instructor

I think this is what HiVoltge was looking for;
http://www.regulatorusa.com/product_...41&product=122
Old 05-19-2009, 12:52 PM
caleb
Instructor

I just had the same thing happen to me on the passenger side. Dealer said 790 to fix part is 390ish. I tried to order from regulators usa but although they posted fleabay auctions and even showed them avail on their website but they were not. They wanted 205 plus shipping and they would return 50 bucks if you sent core to them. They didn't even know I had placed an order until i called them a week later. They did promptly refund my money though.

I called corvette recycling and the part is now in route and should arrive 21 may. Costs me 165 with shipping included and no core required. Their website is http://www.corvetterecycling.com/ and they are a forum sponsor I believe.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:43 PM
HiVoltge
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

thanks for the leads.....I am going to open the door panel up & try to repair it as per the above posting( great write-up/pics btw) and if that fails I know where to get the parts at least I won't have to go to the stealership now....
Old 05-20-2009, 01:24 AM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Have you tired percussive maintenance? Serious. I (and many others) have been able to get it to work by:

Turn key on.
Open door.
Hold the "down" side of the window button to ON.
Using the bottom of your fist, or the heel of your hand, "intentfully" give the inside of the door (in the area of the regulator) a HARD rap. I tried a few times with no luck. Finally I got pizzed off with trying and hit it real hard, and surpirse! It stated working again.

Sometimes they start working again. The motors tend to build an electrical "dead spot" if the window isn't moved for quite a while. It's worth a try.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Window Motor

Quick Reply: Power Window Motor