Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 Tech
Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace Sponsored by
Karl Chevrolet

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 02-05-2002, 01:48 AM   #1
alan33
CF Senior Member

Default C5 Fuel Line Disconnect - How to do withOUT the "Special " disconnect tool?

I need to disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail on my C5. It has the metal quick disconnect. How does one disconnect the fitting without the special tool?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Alan :confused: :confused:
alan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 02:48 AM   #2
alan33
CF Senior Member

Default Re: C5 Fuel Line Disconnect - How to do withOUT the "Special " disconnect tool? (alan33)

I figured it out.

Take Care,

Alan :) :)
Old 02-05-2002, 08:34 AM   #3
Mean Green
CF Senior Member
CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Re: C5 Fuel Line Disconnect - How to do withOUT the "Special " disconnect tool? (alan33)

well then share with the rest of us :D :cheers:
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 11:20 AM   #4
TLewis4095
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to TLewis4095
Default Re: C5 Fuel Line Disconnect - How to do withOUT the "Special " disconnect tool? (Mean Green 2000)

Inquireing minds want to know!! :yesnod:
TLewis4095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 11:58 AM   #5
Closer_2001
CF Senior Member

Default Re: C5 Fuel Line Disconnect - How to do withOUT the "Special " disconnect tool? (TLewis4095)

3rd that!
Closer_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 01:27 PM   #6
vetterdstr
CF Senior Member
CA Events Coordinator

These little disconnect tools are only a couple of bucks... While trying to unhook my fuel filter I broke my fuel like and it cost me $600 for a replacement with Labor. :cry

Do yourself a favor... get that little plastic tool and save yourself $600!!

vettersdtr :cheers:
vetterdstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 01:54 AM   #7
pkmoose
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Send a message via AIM to pkmoose
Default Re: C5 Fuel Line Disconnect - How to do withOUT the "Special " disconnect tool? (Closer_2001)

ummm 4th that :yesnod:
pkmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 03:03 AM   #8
66ImpalaLT1
CF Senior Member

The tool costs next to nothing, I bought mine 3 cars ago. Well worth the money.
66ImpalaLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 06:11 AM   #9
alan33
CF Senior Member

Default Re: C5 Fuel Line Disconnect - How to do withOUT the "Special " disconnect tool? (Mean Green 2000)

O.K. First of all, I agree that if the tool is as inexpensive as some said, then I would recommend getting it. There were no parts stores open around midnight when I wanted to seperate the connection, so I improvised.

Basically I took a piece of thin walled aluminum, so as not to damage the fuel line, tubing that had an inside diameter that was just larger than the outside diameter of the fuel line tube on the fuel rail side. Actually I had to engineer the diameter from a slightly too large piece of aluminum tube. Then I cut a piece about an inch long so it would fit in between the fuel rail "T" and the female bell shaped quick connect that is on the stainless steel braided fuel line. I then cut the tube in half lengthwise so I could place it around the fuel line tube, the 2 pieces of my aluminum tube placed over the fuel line tube to form an outer tube. I then pushed the aluminum tube into the bell shaped female side and pulled the quick connect apart. The tool I made depressed the 4 steel fingers holding the connection together and allowed me to part the connection. That's it.

A couple of other thoughts, Depressurize the fuel rail prior to disconnection, some fuel will spill anyway so be prepared, and oil the tube with a little clean motor oil prior to reconnection to lubricate the o-ring in the female side so it won't get damaged.

Take Care,

Alan

[Modified by alan33, 5:14 AM 2/6/2002]
Old 02-06-2002, 06:11 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Reload this Page C5 Fuel Line Disconnect - How to do withOUT the "Special " disconnect tool?

Tags
1997, 2000, c5, corvett, corvette, difference, disconnect, filter, fuel, fuelline, gm, line, removal, tool, wirhout