C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top speed poll ... how fast would/do you feel comfortable taking your car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 11:33 PM
Horsepower
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top speed poll ... how fast would/do you feel comfortable taking your car?

I got to 149 on my first try and then ran out of road. The car seemed very stable at that speed. I hate to feel unstable at high speeds so I would like to know what to expect next time I try to go a bit faster, (on the salt flats of course :) ) We better keep this to stock chassis cars so as to keep it consistent but feel free to post if you have made an improvement to your car that allows for more stability at high speed.

[Modified by Horsepower, 10:34 PM 2/4/2002]
Old 02-04-2002, 11:37 PM
RUGBY
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Top speed poll ... how fast would/do you feel comfortable taking your car? (Horsepower)

Had her 170 +
felt great!
Old 02-04-2002, 11:40 PM
eikeland
Racer

Default Re: Top speed poll ... how fast would/do you feel comfortable taking your car? (RUGBY)

You all will say I'm probely nuts and stupid, but I go to Europe this summer and I will bring my vert with me, I hope I can figgure out the right diff, and atleast try to run for 200 MPH.
If I find a slow traffic Autobahn anyway...

Richard
Old 02-04-2002, 11:44 PM
DARTH VETTER
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Re: Top speed poll ... how fast would/do you feel comfortable taking your car? (eikeland)

190+, I've already been more than 180...more than once. :eek:
Old 02-04-2002, 11:45 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Re: Top speed poll ... how fast would/do you feel comfortable taking your car? (eikeland)

Richard-
Yup, you're nuts and stupid. But have a great time and tell us about it when you get back.

Several years ago one of the car mags did a test on a supercharged tuner C5 and reported that it felt great at 170, pretty squirrley at 190. "Let's be careful out there."

My coupe felt great at 155, perhaps the Z51 and KD tires were helping.

[Modified by Gearhead Jim, 9:47 PM 2/4/2002]
Old 02-04-2002, 11:52 PM
oceanaire
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Top speed poll ... how fast would/do you feel comfortable taking your car? (Horsepower)

Been to 172 and ran out of road. The car was very stable. Of course I had the top up!! I would feel comfortable going as fast as I could, as long as I had enough road!

I changed the suspension to coilovers before making this run.

[Modified by oceanaire, 11:14 PM 2/4/2002]
Old 02-05-2002, 12:05 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

As fast as it will go, begging for more!!! :smash: :smash: :cheers:
Old 02-05-2002, 12:12 AM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 347 Likes on 192 Posts

I would feel comfortable trying for 200+ if the road was adequate. No traffic, and perfect surface. A small rear wing might be nice for piece of mind, but would take a couple MPH off of top speed. The DRM wing might be a good idea if I were to try for 200 after my heads/cam. Not that I would ever think of doing such a thing. :D :D :D
Old 02-05-2002, 12:49 AM
MrEracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made a speed run on Saturday with a friend who was taking data on Autotap... We found out that the PCM will not report a speed higher than 158 to Atap... Speedometer was at 175+ when we had to slow down due to traffic ahead... Came home and reduced the data... Tach reached 5648 rpm and with stock runflats and a 3.42 rear gear in fifth... My 'speed vs rpm' spread sheet shows 177 mph with no correction for flat side radius... 175 mph with 1/8th (off the radius) squish on the tire which I believe is accurate at those speeds....
The car was absolutely stable and still accellerating... Not bad for a stocker..
Atap showed no KR and 28 degrees of timing at that speed... O2 average was on the lean side at .86... Time to adjust the MAFT and try again... Yeh!!!
Shirl :D and Doug :D :D :D
Old 02-05-2002, 01:13 AM
borba
Pro

Default Re: Top speed poll ... how fast would/do you feel comfortable taking your car? (MrEracer)

I've seen what happens to a sports car that has a flat tire @140mph. After seeing that I will not drive on the road over a speed limit that I can not handle if a flat occurs (about 110mph). I trust the car and the road but not animals, tires, weather. My .02's :smash:
Old 02-05-2002, 03:38 AM
C5King
Instructor

I hit about 160 when I was passing some kind of camaro that had slowed down to box me in behind a 18 wheeler, doing about 60. It was at night so I don't know if he could tell what kind of car I was driving. Anyways, trying to show off he floored it and was trying to get to the next car down the road before I did, but I just cruised on by and he couldn't do anything about it. I made him look like a fool in front of his girlfriend. :seeya

By the way the car felt great and was still picking up speed.

[Modified by C5King, 7:41 AM 2/5/2002]
Old 02-05-2002, 09:08 AM
jeffh355
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Top speed poll ... how fast would/do you feel comfortable taking your car? (C5King)

170 for me, but at 160+ the windows pop out of the top making one hell of a wind noise! :D
Old 02-05-2002, 09:50 AM
Morpheus
Instructor

Default Re: Top speed poll ... how fast would/do you feel comfortable taking your car? (jeffh355)

I've never been on an open highway that would let me get as high top speed as others on this post but I routinely get my vette into the low 160's at Brainerd's road course. It has a one mile straightaway :D . At that speed, the car feels very stable.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:52 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Let's just say I've had it up to a speed where the speedo wasn't climbing up at all and I was full throttle in fifth gear. :D :cheers:
Old 02-05-2002, 12:05 PM
Tormania
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I'd feel ok up to 180mph, been to 163mph and the car felt good, but the road was a wee bit too bumpy for those speeds. In all honestly above 180mph I'd PREFER to have a splitter and a wing to increase downforce to help keep the car stable, you don't want it to get light at those speeds. :nonod:
Old 02-05-2002, 12:50 PM
C54TIM
Melting Slicks

I've had it to 190 mph!
I'd try 200 mph, that would be fast enough for me!
Have fun and be safe!
Tim
Old 02-05-2002, 12:55 PM
davidmax
Drifting

Made the German 200mph club in a Porsche 959 10-12 years ago the most refined 200 road car that I've played at those speeds (AutoBahn-AutoStrassa)
In the USA the most refined car was my Lingenfeltter Stage2 650 TT.200 came up very fast and pretty linear and it glued you to your seat.
Well I never could leave well enough alone,so I had Tim at LPE work me up a price on a C5R 427CI TT,Ive had it almost a month now.It has similar properties as the 5.7 liter except at 100 in 4th it breaks the 335/30/18 Pilot Sports loose like a 1st gear hole shot.
The big differance is at 9 lbs. of boost running 97 octane it pulls in 5th from 100-200 with amazing tqe.and grace.There are some minor Tuning issues and Tim at LPE even though Variable boost carries no warranty it throws an occasional code and other minor problems there going to fix and tweak my pcm until it runs 100% perfect.
When it throws a code you wouldnt know it, its in my opinion just a little on the rich side but you would never know and the codes are 350+miles apart.
Its still to fast to be sane but so am I.Keep The Speed,David Smilovic
PS I've never had it past 8Lbs. of boost,however I was told 13-13.5 should be my limit.Once I'm tuned I'm going for 1bar(14.7Lbs.) which to non forced induction fans is equal to racing a Large 7.0 liter small block with gobs of Tqe.
at 1 complete atmosphere lower.Im expecting 9xx HP so of I go to finish my new suspension.Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Top speed poll ... how fast would/do you feel comfortable taking your car?

Old 02-05-2002, 01:33 PM
RoliO
Melting Slicks

I usually wuss out at about 120mph. :smash: Haven't really found a road I feel comfortable driving any faster. :(
Old 02-05-2002, 01:39 PM
rwj383
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Top speed poll ... how fast would/do you feel comfortable taking your car? (davidmax)

i'm surprised Austrian Vette hasnt chimed in yet. he and i have both gone over 200mph. both did it on the hose with stock internals. yes, you could say we're nuts! the car was surprisingly stable at speed. yes, wind noise galore coming from windows for me. the car did not feel unstable much at all. i will probably never go that fast again, though. a coworker had these pics up online from a website called Rotten.com. absolutely gross website, death, dismemberment, etc. Well, there are pics of the aftermath of a Ferrari that hit a gaurdrail at 125mph. the only way you could tell it was a ferrari was that there was a rim in one view (308/328 rim). the bodies of the driver and passenger scared me straight. like the bodies and heads exploded. i cant believe you can find pics like this on the net. anyway, enuf to convince me to never go that fast, at least not without me strapped in my 5 point harness and helmet on a track.
Old 02-05-2002, 02:03 PM
EuG
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Top speed poll ... how fast would/do you feel comfortable taking your car? (rwj383)

I’ve been to 155 (stock motor) :D :reddevil
I’m just afraid of cops :( :o
If you take away that factor I think I’d take her to ~190MPH+, given a good empty road. :crazy: How much further would depend on how stable it’d feel up there :eek:

Quick Reply: Top speed poll ... how fast would/do you feel comfortable taking your car?