C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Textralia OZ700 Z Grip One Year Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:31 AM
nickolbag
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Textralia OZ700 Z Grip One Year Review

Put about 5k miles on it an about 30 track passes on it and found this(top right)...........................

The good news is at least the clutch didn't blow up and send shrapnel thru the bellhousing, dashboard, or my legs. I just thank God I shut it down ASAP and this didn't happen at 7k rpms. Sent an email to Tex a few days ago and of course heard nothing from them. Why a pressure plate would begin to come apart like this on a relativly new clutch is beyond me and aparantly it does not concern Tex enough to respond.

The search for a decent clutch continues. I think I may try the new Monster clutch, at least they will warranty manufacturers defects and their customer service seems pretty good.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:56 AM
95BlueBomber
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow hate to hear Textralia isn't wanting to talk to you... I have this same clutch in my car. Hope you the best on the search for a new clutch, and glad nothing was damaged to badly.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

HOLY CRAP! Glad i went with SPEC. Got the duel disk.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:17 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts

I see you used socketed cap screws to hold the PP to the flywheel. What type are they?
Old 05-11-2009, 11:27 AM
HP_Addict
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to call Jarrod, I had a problem with my Tex clutch and he took care of it. He is hard to get in touch with, I think he stays real busy. But in the end he sent me a new clutch disk for free.
Here is his info.
Jarrod Cunningham
Textralia, Inc.
214-227-6660
email: jarrod@textralia.com.au
Old 05-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by lucky131969
I see you used socketed cap screws to hold the PP to the flywheel. What type are they?

Limited head engagement issue??
Old 05-11-2009, 12:04 PM
nickolbag
Le Mans Master

Couldn't tell you 100%. Had the clutch shipped to Cartek where they installed it for me. Never saw it before it was in my car. Don't know if they came with the clutch, were already in my car on the old clutch, or Cartek supplied them. I just yanked them off. They are on my barn floor somewhere.

Originally Posted by HP_Addict
You need to call Jarrod, I had a problem with my Tex clutch and he took care of it. He is hard to get in touch with, I think he stays real busy. But in the end he sent me a new clutch disk for free.
Here is his info.
Jarrod Cunningham
Textralia, Inc.
214-227-6660
email: jarrod@textralia.com.au

Thanks, will try that email. I sent an email to the address off the site whick is a general admin address, didn't see any other contact info. But I will email him now and forward all the pics to him.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:20 PM
95BlueBomber
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats what the screws looked like that came with my textralia
Old 05-18-2009, 01:37 PM
nickolbag
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by nickolbag
Thanks, will try that email. I sent an email to the address off the site whick is a general admin address, didn't see any other contact info. But I will email him now and forward all the pics to him.
Got an email the next day............

To him it looks like a bolt backed out and started the distruction. Sent him 8 more pics on the 12th of the bellhousing and pressure plate and assured him no bolt backed out on either the pressure plate or flywheel as I personally took the clutch apart and there was nothing loose in the bellhousing that could have got hung up in the clutch.

Suprise, suprise.....6 days later and nothing. I went ahead and ordered a Monster stage 3 since I can't wait forever for his excuses. Monster's customer service is top notch and Mike at Eastcoast Performance is great too. It's a $1000 lesson on what clutch not to get. At least I was lucky enough to not have the clutch come apart and send pieces of the pressure plate all over the place.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:52 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Sorry to hear about this...

Having a part break is bad enough, being ignored by the manufacturer of the broken part is worse. Having to replace the broken part out of pocket with something else is the last straw.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:23 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts

Got an email the next day............

To him it looks like a bolt backed out and started the distruction. Sent him 8 more pics on the 12th of the bellhousing and pressure plate and assured him no bolt backed out on either the pressure plate or flywheel as I personally took the clutch apart and there was nothing loose in the bellhousing that could have got hung up in the clutch.

Suprise, suprise.....6 days later and nothing. I went ahead and ordered a Monster stage 3 since I can't wait forever for his excuses. Monster's customer service is top notch and Mike at Eastcoast Performance is great too. It's a $1000 lesson on what clutch not to get. At least I was lucky enough to not have the clutch come apart and send pieces of the pressure plate all over the place.
Yeah it sucks. While I'm happy with my Tex clutch, I did have an issue at first purchase, and the customer service/response time sucks. I would never order from them again.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:29 PM
1stGlance
CF Senior Moments Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear about the clutch issue -
Just curious - did you use the adjustable master - or am I confusing that sale with another?
Old 05-18-2009, 02:34 PM
nickolbag
Le Mans Master

Yeah it sucks. While I'm happy with my Tex clutch, I did have an issue at first purchase, and the customer service/response time sucks. I would never order from them again.
Clutches fail.....and I understand that. Could the customer service have been better.......sure. My biggest issue is with the fact that it started to come apart for no reason and it was still pretty new. If that happened on the track at 7k rpms it could have gotten pretty bad. Without a scatter shield that pressure plate could have shot straight up through the dash ripping up everything in its path. Worst case scenerio the pressure plate enters the drivers footwell and sends metal into your leg.

I wonder who supplies Tex their pressure plates???? And what other clutch companies get their pressure plates from them????

I would have thought a clutch coming apart for no reason at all would be a concern. If it were a bad batch maybe theres more out there. But they don't seem to concerned.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:35 PM
nickolbag
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1stGlance
sorry to hear about the clutch issue -
Just curious - did you use the adjustable master - or am I confusing that sale with another?
The Tick? Yes, I did have that in. It was you I got it from right? Worked great.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:19 AM
nickolbag
Le Mans Master

Well I emailed him again and finally got a response. A loooong email basically blaming a backed out bolt. Look at pic 2 that I posted. Does it look like that bolt backed out? Nope, still there. I didn't realize I did not send him the pics of the clutch in the car when I sent my first, second, and third emails but the fourth I included the pics of it in the car(posted above). Think he will still blame it on a backed out bolt?

Either way I doubt I will follow up with him anymore. He wanted me to send it in but theres nothing new to learn. I'm sure I will just get an email back claiming it was a backed out bolt and I'd be out the $1000 for the crapped out clutch and the shipping cost to get it back there.

My new Monster Stage 3 better last longer than this junk Tex.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

My new Monster Stage 3 better last longer than this junk Tex.
Man, sorry for all that drama! Im looking to get a monster clutch also. My main concern is stock like pedal pressure not a pedal that needs 2 feet to push down on.

I think monster stage 2 is good enough for my setup.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:19 PM
Brice
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with a tex OZ700 too because of the good review on this forum 2 years ago.
The tex is good for me. (only 350rwhp).

A friend has just installed a Tex twin disk ... after 150 miles, the disk went blue and the clutch made scarry sounds...

I think tex isn't top notch.

Get notified of new replies

To Textralia OZ700 Z Grip One Year Review

Old 05-22-2009, 01:54 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I've come to the realization that the Textralia twin disk is JUNK. I had less than 1000 miles on it before it started to fall apart and actually cracked my bellhousing. Also noisey (metallic squeel), grabby (on/off switch).... - never again.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:00 PM
nickolbag
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ikester
Man, sorry for all that drama! Im looking to get a monster clutch also. My main concern is stock like pedal pressure not a pedal that needs 2 feet to push down on.

I think monster stage 2 is good enough for my setup.
I'll let you know how mine feels. I have the Tick adjustable master so it is a bit stiffer cause of that.

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
I've come to the realization that the Textralia twin disk is JUNK. I had less than 1000 miles on it before it started to fall apart and actually cracked my bellhousing. Also noisey, grabby (on/off switch).... - never again.
So yours came apart for no reason too? All the bolts were still in place? Cusious, when did you buy yours? I wonder if there is a bad batch out there. Think about it, yours came apart and cracked the bellhousing. Imagine if it came apart at 7k rpms. It would be like a grenade going off in your car.

So I have to ask......who else had a Tex pressure plate come apart for no reason? Anybody know what company supplies their pressure plates?
Old 05-22-2009, 02:04 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I think I still have the picture I took of my pressure plate that shows where a rivet came off (I'll post it if I can find it), which led to the damage that incurred. Looked like someone took a shotgun to my clutch - actually cracked my bellhousing, which surprised me too. I did receive compensation from Jarrod Cunningham for the failed clutch from Textralia based on pictures and comments from my mechanic annotated on my bill for removal of the failed unit, etc. - customer service = good, but this product = bad. I'll have to look at my receipt, but I think it was purchased 18 months ago.

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 05-22-2009 at 02:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Textralia OZ700 Z Grip One Year Review