C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glove Box Handle Broken - Won't Open - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 12:25 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Donnasophia
And have someone suggest that I do a search because this subject has been discussed previously? Never mind, just close it.
It can't be that bad. Just say you’ve searched and can’t find the answer. I’m not sure of the answer either.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:14 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Donnasophia
And have someone suggest that I do a search because this subject has been discussed previously? Never mind, just close it.
Wow...

All 87Sam was saying is that if a moderator sees this thread it will be locked since the last posting was over 45 days old (almost a year ago). So start your own thread. Some reading for you: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...s-or-more.html

Perhaps if you lead with" I've tried searching and found a few threads but I'm still stuck" you'll head off some of the people who respond with "try searching".

Also, the more knowledgable members typically only respond that way when a topic has been so beat to death that a four year old could find sufficient info on it searching. Your issue is not one of those...
Old 05-22-2012, 10:15 PM
nylben
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Glove Box Won't Open

You guys aren't going to like this, but I had the same issue on my C5. For some unknown reason the release wouldn't let the door open. It released partially, but was stuck as tight as could be. This is the part you won't like - I used 3 screwdrivers - two to apply leverage down on the door from the top on each side of the latch - the third one was a wide blade. When I tried to open the door the glove box light would come on so I could barely see inside and leveraging down I could put the wide blade on the latch. A couple of well placed blows with dead blow hammer on the latch catch proved to be the answer. The door popped open and I could see that there was some material (paper) that had wedged in the catch. After clearing the latch it seems to work perfectly and none the worse for wear. Taking a hammer to my baby was not an easy thing to do, but it worked.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:56 PM
c7pilot
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Stuck Glob Box (was paper in latch)

I was able to free the stuck glove box (without a hammer) on my 98 C5 by doing the following:

1. Ensure that the latch is in the unlocked position
2. Hold the latch like you are opening the glove box door
3. Use a wide blade screw driver (actually used a door clip remover with an arched shank) to jostle/jimmy/push the latch open by working the driver in between jam of the glove box directly above the lock.

This procedure worked for me, and I recommend not forcing anything or you may break something.

**Disclaimer: Use these instructions at your own risk, no suitably is implied or given**

Last edited by c7pilot; 06-01-2013 at 01:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Glove Box Handle Broken - Won't Open - HELP!