C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat back vs. Full exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 03:15 PM
trae1997
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat back vs. Full exhaust

Kinda confused
i just got finished reading a article that
says catback systems are better for cars that are stock.
It says that you get about 15 to 20 hp gain out of cat back and that headers and exhaust will not produce to much more than that if you are keeping the motor stock or close to stock.
So what i want to know is if there is anyone out there with a 1997 to 2000 c5 a4 that has a stock motor who has done both catback and full exhaust ( i.e. Headers and exhaust ) and what gave the best bang for the buck
Old 04-18-2009, 03:39 PM
ZZOOM06
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by trae1997
Kinda confused
i just got finished reading a article that
says catback systems are better for cars that are stock.
It says that you get about 15 to 20 hp gain out of cat back and that headers and exhaust will not produce to much more than that if you are keeping the motor stock or close to stock.
So what i want to know is if there is anyone out there with a 1997 to 2000 c5 a4 that has a stock motor who has done both catback and full exhaust ( i.e. Headers and exhaust ) and what gave the best bang for the buck
You won't get much if anything out of just a catback, however, long tube headers will give you some measurable horsepower/torque, especially if you get the car tuned after installing them.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:46 PM
trae1997
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanxs
thats what i figured. With all the toys i have had in the past i just figured that was the standard rule all though none of those moters we even close to being stock
Old 04-18-2009, 05:37 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The word "catback" is widely mis used. they really mean Mufflers.

it is the Long Tubs, with high flow cats, smooth x-pipe and low restrictive mufflers or no mufflers that provide a bit more hp
Old 04-18-2009, 05:50 PM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The popular #s kicked around for "cat back" is more like 5 to 10 actual ponies! When you add the "bang for your buck",,kinda muddles the water as there are tons of used cat backs out there that can be picked up for $400-500. You are talking some pretty big bucks for long tubes,high flows and X pipe which give a bit of pause for the cause. They are cheaper than SC or turbos though!!

Get notified of new replies

To Cat back vs. Full exhaust

Quick Reply: Cat back vs. Full exhaust