C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - Trying to identify part corroded by battery acid

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:58 AM
CCovey
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Trying to identify part corroded by battery acid

Hi, I am new member & own a black 2000 FRC. My first post...

Love the car and have learned a lot from many of you. Seems Vette owners love their cars and love sharing suggestions and ideas...

My car suffered battery acid damage with a previous owner. Found this when I removed the battery in the car the other day.

I am trying to find out what the part in the attached file is and what it does. It was taped to the wiring that runs across the firewall just to the rear of the battery. As you will see from the pics in the attached it has been corroded by the battery acid.

Some have indicated that it might be a "splice pack" - several ground wires to a common ground wire. but I am still fuzzy on this...

if it is a splice pack for grounjd can I simply cut off all the wires near the splice pack and splice them together around each other and solder then tape?

Thanks.

Chris.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:09 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Yikes! That is splice pack 122(SP122). Provides a ground for the fuel pump relay, and others. Get this taken care of ASAP, or it will shut you down for sure.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:20 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Read through the electrical sticky(well documented courtesy of Bill Curlee)

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...tion-long.html

Explains disassembly of the splice pack, and cleaning. Make sure you treat everything with baking soda and water to neutralize the acid, and rinse thoroughly. i suggest before cleaning, you removed the right front wheel, and remove the access panel to check the condition of the PCM, TAC module, and vacuum line condition. Take your time, and post up questions as required.

Last edited by lucky131969; 04-14-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:28 PM
timemender
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CCovey
Hi, I am new member & own a black 2000 FRC. My first post...

Love the car and have learned a lot from many of you. Seems Vette owners love their cars and love sharing suggestions and ideas...

My car suffered battery acid damage with a previous owner. Found this when I removed the battery in the car the other day.

I am trying to find out what the part in the attached file is and what it does. It was taped to the wiring that runs across the firewall just to the rear of the battery. As you will see from the pics in the attached it has been corroded by the battery acid.

Some have indicated that it might be a "splice pack" - several ground wires to a common ground wire. but I am still fuzzy on this...

if it is a splice pack for grounjd can I simply cut off all the wires near the splice pack and splice them together around each other and solder then tape?

Thanks.

Chris.

Yes you can splice, solder & tape the wires together from a splice pack to eliminate the terminals.

GM has done this on the C6 to eliminate troublesome splice packs.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:34 PM
ROJO99
Melting Slicks

Leaky battery ...

Ditto in the advice to remove the right front wheel and inner liner to check for additional damage. The liquid likely dripped down further and more work is needed to be done. I had to sand and repaint the frame rail and attached brackets, not to mention a new PCM.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:36 AM
CCovey
3rd Gear

many thanks for the replies & suggestions. pretty lucky that damage is limited to the frame, this splice pack, etc.

wiring is in good condition, no corrossion. PCM, etc. was a little dirty and had some dried acid gunk on it but nothing really damaged.

going to tackle the splicing on Sat evening.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:08 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by CCovey
many thanks for the replies & suggestions. pretty lucky that damage is limited to the frame, this splice pack, etc.

wiring is in good condition, no corrossion. PCM, etc. was a little dirty and had some dried acid gunk on it but nothing really damaged.

going to tackle the splicing on Sat evening.
Make sure you inspect the vacuum lines.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:25 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Glad you got some good advice and hope you fix it

I feel so sad when I see these threads. Those early AC Delco batteries have a lot to answer for.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:06 PM
speedracer65
Advanced

Yup, a battery post (original Delco) on my son's 2001 Trans Am did the same thig last spring, quite messy. He called, "dad car won't start, I checked everything." When I got under the hood I smelled the acid, kind of like vinegar smell.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:58 PM
CCovey
3rd Gear

is the vacuum tube wrapped with other wires in one of the harnesses on the firewall side of the battery area?

or by itself?

cheers.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

HOLY CRAP!!!

Thats the WORST one that Ive ever seen! You need to start from scratch!!! Wahs the ENTIRE area down with a baking soda / water solution and continue to do so until you dont see any more reaction with the acid. Then rince with LOTS of fresh water, dry with compressed air. Treat ALL the damaged frame areas with a quality rust converter. Then repaint the damaged areas with rustolium semi flat black!!

Wiring!!!! Inspect EVERYTHING in the fender well. PCM, TAC Module every connector every wire!!!!! The vacuum line is INSIDE the main wiring harness and is burried inside the harness. Your going to need to unwrap the harness and find whats left of that vacuum line. Then replace it.

Inspect the PCM very carefully. The aluminum case can and does get eaten away if exposed to acid long enough.

Yes, you can cut off that splice pack and connect all the wires together. I would try to clean it first:

NASTY SP LIKE YOURS!

After cleaning!

BC

Get notified of new replies

To Help - Trying to identify part corroded by battery acid

Quick Reply: Help - Trying to identify part corroded by battery acid