C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ok burn me all you want....im gonna ask anyhow

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 08:12 PM
Chazo Stankovic
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ok burn me all you want....im gonna ask anyhow

hi guys just doing a lil research o n oil cap breathers and catch cans.. are they neccessary... nor will they give your engine a slow death.. there is a lot of mixed information out there.. would my ls6 benefit from installing an oil cap breather? and an oil catch can? or is it a pointless add on with todays motors...? are there any harmful side effects.. even ones thatll accumulate over time? any help would be appreciated thankyou
Old 12-02-2020, 08:40 PM
oharal
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 219 Posts

What problem are you trying to fix?
Old 12-03-2020, 07:37 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

They are usually used by those who are into spirited driving, drag racing, autocross, road course activities, etc. Four your boulevard cruisers, they are generally not added unless they have had cam/head/header changes.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:43 AM
Old School
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 254 Posts

I do 2 or 3 track days a year so I installed one on my Vette. It will collect a little bit of oil during a track event and not much during 'normal' driving. Anything it collects though would have otherwise gotten into the intake so I think for me it's worth having. The only down side IMO is if you drive in cold weather you will get a nasty brown goo mix of oil and water in the catch can. The water gets in there because it condenses on the cold catch can. Not an issue in the warmer weather but I don't drive it year round anyway. If it wasn't for this fact I would put one on my DD because that one has direct injection and oil in the intake can cause intake valve coking over time. Not an issue on your Ls6
Old 12-03-2020, 09:31 AM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazo Stankovic
hi guys just doing a lil research o n oil cap breathers and catch cans.. are they neccessary... nor will they give your engine a slow death.. there is a lot of mixed information out there.. would my ls6 benefit from installing an oil cap breather? and an oil catch can? or is it a pointless add on with todays motors...? are there any harmful side effects.. even ones thatll accumulate over time? any help would be appreciated thankyou
Your engine would probably benefit from either, but NOT BOTH!! If you install a catch can AND a breather, it amounts to an intake vacuum leak, as you are now basically drawing outside (unfiltered, too!) air into, and thru the engine to the intake, where the factory PCV system mounted. I believe a catch can would be the better choice. But don't run both. Either run a valve cover breather, like in the oil fill tube, or a catch can. I've run one of the "econo" units Jegs offers, but I feel it isn't a very good unit. You get what you pay for. On my Jegs unit, which has a clear bowl about 2-1/2" deep, oil would accumulate 1/8"-1/4" depth MAX, then any further oil mist would bypass it, and flow into the intake!! So unless you want to empty a catch can every week or two, stay away from this unit. Hope this helps you out......
Old 12-03-2020, 10:52 AM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 979 Likes on 622 Posts

all good advice

Get notified of new replies

To ok burn me all you want....im gonna ask anyhow

Quick Reply: ok burn me all you want....im gonna ask anyhow