C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

factory Z06 wheel coating ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 04:22 PM
jfrc
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default factory Z06 wheel coating ?

I have some factory OEM Z06 wheels, that are used as race wheels, that I plan on having powder coated. I have had them at the ONLY local sandblaster for almost 2 months. They are complaining that they are powdercoated and it's extremely difficult to remove.

-are the factory wheels powdercoated?
-best method to remove factory coating?
Old 02-04-2009, 04:59 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,417 Likes on 759 Posts

I thought the factory wheels were painted base/clear coat, but that's JMHO.

BTW, I've also heard that powdercoating the wheel may reduce the strength of the wheels. Don't know if that's actually true or not, so take it for what's it's worth.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 02-04-2009, 05:09 PM
B-ras
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
I thought the factory wheels were painted base/clear coat, but that's JMHO.
Me too
Old 02-07-2009, 05:29 PM
natedog4g
Racer

i had this same problem when i tried getting to strip mine, i started with aircraft stripper-didnt work. then i filled a 55 gallon bucket with about 20 gallons of paint thinner and soaked them seperatly for about a week each-didnt work. then i tried to sandblast them and found out it basicsally melted the aluminum away so that didnt work. i finally put them back in the thinner bucket and let them soak for a day or so and then immediatly i sandblasted them, it made the coating soft enough that the sandblaster worked better but it still pitted them horrible. after they were all like that i sprayed on about 4 coats of paint sealer that usually olny takes one coat. it made them almost as soon as the factory finisha and i dont think anyone would notice the differnce but me. long story short, i wish i would have bought perfect rims and just scuffed the paint to repaint them instead of ones that were all scratched up.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by natedog4g
i had this same problem when i tried getting to strip mine, i started with aircraft stripper-didnt work. then i filled a 55 gallon bucket with about 20 gallons of paint thinner and soaked them seperatly for about a week each-didnt work. then i tried to sandblast them and found out it basicsally melted the aluminum away so that didnt work. i finally put them back in the thinner bucket and let them soak for a day or so and then immediatly i sandblasted them, it made the coating soft enough that the sandblaster worked better but it still pitted them horrible. after they were all like that i sprayed on about 4 coats of paint sealer that usually olny takes one coat. it made them almost as soon as the factory finisha and i dont think anyone would notice the differnce but me. long story short, i wish i would have bought perfect rims and just scuffed the paint to repaint them instead of ones that were all scratched up.

Wow thats a good finish form the factory!!!
Old 02-07-2009, 09:31 PM
jmzvet
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried various methods of stripping a set of Z wheels. Paint stripper, wire wheel, sand paper, etc.
Very tough finish .
Old 02-08-2009, 03:38 AM
dieseldave56
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jfrc
I have some factory OEM Z06 wheels, that are used as race wheels, that I plan on having powder coated. I have had them at the ONLY local sandblaster for almost 2 months. They are complaining that they are powdercoated and it's extremely difficult to remove.

-are the factory wheels powdercoated?
-best method to remove factory coating?
Why are you having the rims sandblasted? The powder coater will be preping the surface , usually by media blasting anyway.

The Z06 rims are painted ; http://corvetteactioncenter.com/spec...ed_wheels.html
Old 02-08-2009, 03:53 AM
olftboy
Racer

Here is a link to some interesting banter regarding powder coating aluminum wheels. >> http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.c...151053&page=10

I have done a small amount of research on this as I was wanting to get the centers powder coated on my BBS LM's and I never found a definitive answer. My local powder coating shop just said... "Yeah, sure.. we can do that" They had no info regarding any issues with any wheels being powder coated.

Get notified of new replies

To factory Z06 wheel coating ?

Quick Reply: factory Z06 wheel coating ?