C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical/Computer problem Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 03:02 PM
add
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Electrical/Computer problem Help!

While driving my 99 coupe today I lost power to the dash lights and radio. The radio was playing but there were no light and I was not able to access the DTC. At a stop light I shut the car off and restarted it and it gave me the message to remove the key and wait 10 secs just as the light turn green. I was going to try make to the side of the road when the car just died. I pull the key and waited the 10 seconds and started the car. Within a few miles of the house all the dash lights and radio light came back on and I was able to access the DTC. I pulled into the garage and decide to check to see if had any fault codes and the car started to act up again. One funny note is that when the ignition is turned to accessory the radio lights up but when the car is started goes black even though the radio is playing. Anyone have a clue to whats going on?

Thanks,

Tony
Old 01-30-2009, 03:59 PM
add
Racer

ttt
Old 01-30-2009, 04:16 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Do you have a security light on when this is going on?

It could be a VATS problem. First thing to do is try your spare key - Any better? Also, clean up the VATS pellet on you primary key.

That said, it could be many other things causing it.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Your ignition switch supplies several different circuits. There are multiple switches inside your switch. I would say that you either have an ignition switch issue OR theres a relay going bad. I have a post that details rebuilding you own ignition switch. Just do a search using " C5 ignition switch repair"
Old 01-30-2009, 04:28 PM
add
Racer

I tried the spare key and that did not make any difference. The car still has the problem. The radio works and plays but you cant see what station your on, the AC works but you cant see what its set to and you can not access the DTC....but turn the key accessory and all the light come on but cant get any info from the DTC. The car seems to run fine.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:13 PM
add
Racer

Any idea on how to trouble shoot which it could be? Ignition or relay?
Old 01-31-2009, 11:40 AM
add
Racer

ttt
Old 01-31-2009, 12:00 PM
ABNVET.I
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Your ignition switch supplies several different circuits. There are multiple switches inside your switch. I would say that you either have an ignition switch issue OR theres a relay going bad. I have a post that details rebuilding you own ignition switch. Just do a search using " C5 ignition switch repair"
Bill is a world of electrical information. He fixed a problem I had on my 99 that 3 different dealerships couldnt do. Find his post Im sure it will help you out
Old 01-31-2009, 04:22 PM
add
Racer

I pulled the ignition switch and followed Bill's write up for rebuilding the switch. When I opened up the switch it looked very much like the one pictured in his write up, so I was sure that I was on the right track to solving my problem. Got the car put back together and still no luck, the problem is still there. Anyone have an idea of how to trace the relay that may be causing this problem?
Old 01-31-2009, 04:42 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by add
I pulled the ignition switch and followed Bill's write up for rebuilding the switch. When I opened up the switch it looked very much like the one pictured in his write up, so I was sure that I was on the right track to solving my problem. Got the car put back together and still no luck, the problem is still there. Anyone have an idea of how to trace the relay that may be causing this problem?
I worked LATE last night and wasnt able to get home until 11PM. I was beat so I didnt get a chance to take a look for you until today

I was able to did thought the service manual and I recommend that you do the rebuild on the headlight control switch that is on the forum. The lighting that you are having issues with run off a contact inside that switch. In fact it is PIN R (brown wire) The power for that switch circuit enters on PIN Z (orange wire)

Please let us know what you find.

Bbill
Old 02-01-2009, 02:56 PM
add
Racer

Problem solved!!! A special thanks to Bill Curlee for taking the time to to investigate and providing me with the solutions to my problems.

My problem was two fold, Bill had determind the problem was the ignition and or the headlight switch. I started with ignition switch and yes it needed to be rebuilt and the write up provided by Bill was top notch. All though that did fix all of the problems I was experiencing it helped. Next I did rebuild the headlight control switch and now my baby is good as new.

Bill again, thank you for your time and efffort I really appreciate it and if there is anything I can ever do please do not hesitate to ask!

Tony

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical/Computer problem Help!

Quick Reply: Electrical/Computer problem Help!