C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weiand Street Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 01:06 PM
verano29
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weiand Street Warrior

I see that the new Weiand Street Warrior intake is now available. They claim 30+ hp (it doesn't say rwhp) over the LS6 manifold. Has anyone tried one of these yet? Looks pretty impressive. It takes both the 78mm and 90mm throttle body.

Last edited by verano29; 01-10-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,506 Likes on 1,014 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Who actually has it for sale?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...or-update.html
Old 01-10-2009, 07:48 PM
hawk4077
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 53 Posts

Old 01-10-2009, 07:54 PM
vettekidc5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by verano29
I see that the new Weiand Street Warrior intake is now available. They claim 30+ hp (it doesn't say rwhp) over the LS6 manifold. Has anyone tried one of these yet? Looks pretty impressive. It takes both the 78mm and 90mm throttle body.
Movin out of the bbk eh?
Old 01-10-2009, 07:58 PM
verano29
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vettekidc5
Movin out of the bbk eh?
Maybe I'll give the street warrior a try....its only $600. It might de-thrown the BBK as the best LSX intake manifold.

Last edited by verano29; 01-10-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:59 PM
verano29
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Quick Silver Z
It's for sale everywhere..summit, jegs, etc. Just do a search for Weiand Street Warrior LS
Old 01-10-2009, 08:00 PM
vettekidc5
Pro

I gave up on it , and got a ported fast. I know from long discussions your very biast against it LOL
Old 01-10-2009, 08:42 PM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe I'll give the street warrior a try....its only $600. It might de-thrown the BBK as the best LSX intake manifold.
You mean the best LSX heat sink?

C'mon Verano.....L-e-a-r-n from diversified input of your own ten page threads not to mention your own real world experiences.

The Warrior (on paper) certainly looks to best the fast in the low RPM ranges (due to its much longer, smaller runners), but a FAST will trounce it upstairs due to just the opposite (shorter, higher flowing larger runners).

And it really still isnt available btw....at least last I checked.

Im actually looking forward to its ultimate release as it does have some applications that make it worthy of consideration, but for guys looking for the best peak power numbers, track times, and "run from a roll" street events, the FAST still will take top honors.

-Tony

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 01-10-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:30 AM
verano29
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
You mean the best LSX heat sink?
I knew you couldn't resist the urge to push one of your $2k+ intakes.

C'mon Verano.....L-e-a-r-n from diversified input of your own ten page threads not to mention your own real world experiences.:
Again, check the threads...100% of the only info available suggests that the BBK performs as well or better than the fast. You, yourself admitted that you have never touched a BBK.

My own real world experiences? Oh that's right...the last time I posted my combo:

A4 SS3600, 3.42
Vortex CAI
BBK
Dart Pro 1 205
Comp Cams 228/230 .571/.573 112lsa
Shorty headers
etc.

produced 353 rwhp....and you blamed those modest numbers on the BBK

Well a couple of months later I did actually revisit the dyno with the following additional mods:

a)Removal of the NOS plate (which was obstructing air flow)
b)Ported TB
c)Smooth coupler
d)Oversize air bridge
e)Rev limiter set to 6600rpm
f)It was a bit cooler (88degrees on the previous run and 72 on this run)

The results....393@~6400

Now what do we have to say about the BBK? Wait until I switch to a ported BBK TB, real headers, and an X pipe...I'm going to bust right through that 400rwhp mark! Would a ported fast give me better numbers...maybe like 3-5rwhp...not worth it.

The Warrior (on paper) certainly looks to best the fast in the low RPM ranges (due to its much longer, smaller runners), but a FAST will trounce it upstairs due to just the opposite (shorter, higher flowing larger runners).

And it really still isnt available btw....at least last I checked.
Seems to be available everywhere...at least they are taking orders

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu5S5i2...id/0/SFV/32401

http://www.ls1speed.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0000807

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...15+400053+1007

30+ hp/torque is more than both Fast and BBK claim....and it's only $600.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:43 AM
verano29
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vettekidc5
I gave up on it , and got a ported fast. I know from long discussions your very biast against it LOL
A ported fast 90 and 90mm tb is going to push $2k...yikes. You can pick up a BBK for ~$400 and a ported TB for ~$100......huge savings. I bet on the high end the ported fast 90/90 combo would only offer a 5-7hp advantage over a bbk/ported tb. IMO...not worth it. Pick up a ported 80mm bbk TB for around ~$500 and I'm guessing the FAST advantage would further diminish. BTW a BBK intake can be ported/polished as well.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:35 AM
c5mtl
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

A ported fast 90 and 90mm tb is going to push $2k...yikes. You can pick up a BBK for ~$400 and a ported TB for ~$100......huge savings. I bet on the high end the ported fast 90/90 combo would only offer a 5-7hp advantage over a bbk/ported tb. IMO...not worth it. Pick up a ported 80mm bbk TB for around ~$500 and I'm guessing the FAST advantage would further diminish. BTW a BBK intake can be ported/polished as well.
as much as i tend to agree ..a ported fast is worth another 7hp ....no way its worth an extra 1500$.....for the average street warrior....true track guys are are always looking for that extra 5hp and willing to spend thousands to get it...personally...i did it afr's ported fast,ported 90mm........nice results but not worth the money.....again thats what i think
Old 01-11-2009, 06:55 AM
dixonk
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

It's pointless to argue over which intake is the best. They all serve their purpose...what works for one won't for another...whats cheap for one is not for another...

It's especially pointless to argue about a metal vs. composite intake comparison as well.

Now back to the Street Warrior. I was waiting as well. Ordered the FAST 92 instead because I got tired of the excuses. I said it once and I will say it again...the Street Warrior is indeed the "Chinese Democracy" of intakes in that you wait for years for the damn thing to come out, more than likely when it does come out it will probably suck anyway. /rant
Old 01-11-2009, 07:43 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

All talk of the Weind manifold is just another internet hand job. They "introduced" it 15 months ago and they still have no realistic release date. The release just keeps getting pushed farther and farther out.

FAST has published an April release date for the L92/LS3 100mm+ intake. We'll see if they do the same thing Weind has done.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:30 AM
0EPP
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dixonk
It's pointless to argue over which intake is the best. They all serve their purpose...what works for one won't for another...whats cheap for one is not for another...

It's especially pointless to argue about a metal vs. composite intake comparison as well.

Now back to the Street Warrior. I was waiting as well. Ordered the FAST 92 instead because I got tired of the excuses. I said it once and I will say it again...the Street Warrior is indeed the "Chinese Democracy" of intakes in that you wait for years for the damn thing to come out, more than likely when it does come out it will probably suck anyway. /rant

Nice analogy Kevin! Bob
Old 01-11-2009, 09:42 AM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

you are still just comparing peak dyno numbers to justify your cost savings. Line up against a ported FAST 90/90 and you will finally see the light.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:53 AM
vettekidc5
Pro

Again, check the threads...100% of the only info available suggests that the BBK performs as well or better than the fast. You, yourself admitted that you have never touched a BBK.

My own real world experiences? Oh that's right...the last time I posted my combo:

A4 SS3600, 3.42
Vortex CAI
BBK
Dart Pro 1 205
Shorty headers
etc.

Well a couple of months later I did actually revisit the dyno with the following additional mods:

b)Ported TB
c)Smooth coupler
d)Oversize air bridge

The results....393@~6400

Now what do we have to say about the BBK? Wait until I switch to a ported BBK TB, real headers, and an X pipe...I'm going to bust right through that 400rwhp mark! Would a ported fast give me better numbers...maybe like 3-5rwhp...not worth it.

Oh the good ole' days have returned, Mamo, myself, and verano all in one epic thread lol.

that Heat sink is slowing you down man im telling you, Ive been there and done that with the lsx intakes..LS1, ls6, weiand metal, and now the fast. spending allot of cash that you could spend on a fast on a bbk snake oil 80mm to put on a looser intake you could have just purchased the fast.

That metal manifold gets so hot you can cook and keep your food warm on it. I touched mine once and it burned the hell out of me can you argue that that doesnt do something to the air?

I guarantee you if you sold your bbk for 300 and kept your money for that snake oil throttle body you could purchase a fast on ebay. Leaving those worthless shorties on and NO other changes I guarantee you will break 400 hp with the fast addition.

I cant tell you exactly what it made because I didnt dyno it in afterwards,But It felt pretty good after the change, much better than the ls1 to ls6 change. Im shooting for 600rwhp on some spray here in a month or two im almost done with the setup Ill post up what I get.

Look up Febuary 2008 issue of Chevy High performance Tony is featured inside there and Read that article. Youll learn his advice isnt opinnions they are harsh reality and fact

Last edited by vettekidc5; 01-11-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:34 PM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Verano....

The only thing this thread proves is that you are getting in your own way in regards to furthering your education in this hobby....

And for the record, I didnt even mention my porting....you did.

A stock FAST will walk all over a BBK as will a stock LS6 intake by a few HP as well. Your air inlet temps are probably thirty degrees higher in that manifold than they would be in the same manifold constructed from plastic. Power output will change by 1% for every 10 degrees move in the incoming air charge. Start crunching the numbers....

I'm done with this thread but I will keep an eye on it purely for entertainment value.

-Tony

PS....I have no problem with the new Warrior design (as I also previously mentioned) as it will have applications that make some sense, but is it available now.....NO.....and will it ultimately dethrone the FAST for the guys looking for the big numbers....also NO....end of story.

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 01-11-2009 at 02:21 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Weiand Street Warrior

Old 01-11-2009, 05:05 PM
vsocks1
Melting Slicks

You can get a ported FAST for $900 and an ported TB for $400 if you are careful...Tony's work is more expensive but some swear by it!
FAST will also have a much better resale value so the net cost differential is really not that much.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:45 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

A4 SS3600, 3.42
Vortex CAI
BBK
Dart Pro 1 205
Shorty headers
etc.

b)Ported TB
c)Smooth coupler
d)Oversize air bridge

The results....393@~6400

This doesn't seem to be proof of the BBK's value at all. Only 393 with H/C/intake is pretty tepid, even with the A/T. OTOH, I'm not a big believer in "heat soak" robbing power in street use. The velocity of air moving will mitigate most of these problems, with the exception of periods of extended low speed use, IMH, and unscientific O. The BBK manifold is just a poor design, from an air flow perspective. Since that's what creates power..... The only reason to use a metal intake is for show car good looks, when polished.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:50 PM
vettekidc5
Pro

Originally Posted by zeevette
This doesn't seem to be proof of the BBK's value at all. Only 393 with H/C/intake is pretty tepid, even with the A/T. OTOH, I'm not a big believer in "heat soak" robbing power in street use. The velocity of air moving will mitigate most of these problems, with the exception of periods of extended low speed use, IMH, and unscientific O. The BBK manifold is just a poor design, from an air flow perspective. Since that's what creates power..... The only reason to use a metal intake is for show car good looks, when polished.
I thought that too when I had my weiand polished alluminum intake. I clearly watched on vengeances dyno, when they put the fan on the intake for 5-10 minutes It clearly picked up 5 HP infront of my own eyes.

Its not a sham its indeed true

Quick Reply: Weiand Street Warrior