C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold air intake - Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:44 PM
tomslic1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold air intake - Recommendations

Hi everyone. First time posting. I have a 2001 C5 and I'm looking to buy a cold air intake. I've read about a few, but I'm not sure what to buy. The 2 that seem to be popular are the Blackwing and the Vararam. It seems that one is a true cold air intake (Vararam), but the Blackwing is not. Supposedly, both have about the same HP gain(??) Supposedly the Vararam is a bit harder to install and involves cutting whereas the Blackwing is pretty much for a dummy like me to put on. I think the Vararam is also somewhat more expensive.

Can anyone tell me which one I should choose and why? Thanks.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

You might want to take a look at this post:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-question.html
Old 01-08-2009, 10:58 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by tomslic1
Hi everyone. First time posting. I have a 2001 C5 and I'm looking to buy a cold air intake. I've read about a few, but I'm not sure what to buy. The 2 that seem to be popular are the Blackwing and the Vararam. It seems that one is a true cold air intake (Vararam), but the Blackwing is not. Supposedly, both have about the same HP gain(??) Supposedly the Vararam is a bit harder to install and involves cutting whereas the Blackwing is pretty much for a dummy like me to put on. I think the Vararam is also somewhat more expensive.

Can anyone tell me which one I should choose and why? Thanks.

First decide how much you wish to spend. That will be your decision.

I have a breathless performance vortex cold air intake

You have to choose if you want a cold air intake or just a different intake.

Cold air makes more power.

I am looking to sell mine 175 so i can upgrade to a callaway honker about 500.

Part of your decision should be on the install as well. Some do not like the quality of build of the varam however it does perform.

I would say these are the top performers based on a dyno test i have seen. The cold air intakes like breathless and vararam and calloway perform better while driving. 15-18 hp increase

calloway honker
vararam
K&n Twin
Breatless vortex
Blackwing

Last edited by Got uid0; 01-08-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:09 PM
tomslic1
2nd Gear

Thanks Dave - that was very helpful. I'd rather spend more and get the best (Callaway). I'll look into that, thanks again.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:25 PM
4440stevesvette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed my Vararam a few weeks ago and it was a PITA. I bought it because I believed a true cold air intake was the way to go and the fact it was on sale from one of the forum vendors for about, I believe, $268.00 with free shipping sold me. Even though it does take some effort to install it, I believe it was worth it. Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:28 PM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

vararam hands down!
Old 01-08-2009, 11:45 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Vararam
Old 01-08-2009, 11:53 PM
bdiddo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vote is for VARARAM. Went from stock to HALTECH STINGER, to BLACKWING to current set-up-VARARAM. I absolutely love it! And yes it was PITA but worth it IMHO.

Good Luck and welcome
Old 01-09-2009, 12:04 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by tomslic1
Thanks Dave - that was very helpful. I'd rather spend more and get the best (Callaway). I'll look into that, thanks again.

As far as true CAI systems go, you can't beat the Callaway Honker for a few reasons:

1. It is legal in every state (non-Z06s in CA)
2. You can open up your fog light panels a bit to keep your engine bay at a reasonable temperature. Heat soak can only get worse if you block the front and add headers. This is why I chose to send cold air past my filter and into the engine bay. Hoses, belts, and electronics have shorter lives when the ambient temperature climbs.
3. Excellent quality and a relocated MAF that mimics the C6 setup. This is helpful in preventing oil migration from an aftermarket air filter and very few air intake systems allow you to do this. The Callaway does and that is an added bonus.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:21 PM
yankeevetteconvert
Burning Brakes

I am running the Trap intake with the front license plate area open to cold air (tunnel port).Easy install and gives you true cold air from a high pressure area. I also have Z06 screens so I get cold air in my engine bay area also.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,665 Likes on 850 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99

Fact is, on an otherwise stock motor, an intake will not gain you much HP wise. 7-15 HP depending on the intake selected.

That increase is at the top of the RPM range. If you race your Vette, then swapping out the intake for a Callaway or a VaraRam is a helpful modification in shaving that 1/4 mile time.

Swapping an intake along with an exhaust modification is a logical first step to power mods that will require the increased air.
I'll quote myself from the thread Dave68 posted to save repeating it.

Originally Posted by Dave68
As far as true CAI systems go, you can't beat the Callaway Honker for a few reasons:

2. You can open up your fog light panels a bit to keep your engine bay at a reasonable temperature. Heat soak can only get worse if you block the front and add headers. This is why I chose to send cold air past my filter and into the engine bay. Hoses, belts, and electronics have shorter lives when the ambient temperature climbs.
3. Excellent quality and a relocated MAF that mimics the C6 setup. This is helpful in preventing oil migration from an aftermarket air filter and very few air intake systems allow you to do this. The Callaway does and that is an added bonus.
If ya gotta put on an aftermarket intake, this is the one to have.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:05 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Another vote for Callaway for the reasons stated.

BTW, I have been of the opinion for a long time that "CAI" is MUCH less important overall than a "LRI" (Low Restriction Intake). I think too many people focus too much attention on air temperature as the be-all-end-all when making a decision, when in fact dealing with the restrictive factory air intake is more important to hp gains. Now, don't get me wrong. I am NOT saying temp has NO effect, I AM saying that lowering of restriction has MORE effect.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:10 PM
QUIKSILVERZ
Burning Brakes

i have had a halltech venom and now a vararam with vararams power duct.

i can not tell any diff in performance at all (between the kits). the halltech installs in minutes and did not throw any codes. but the air bridge hit the hood liner. the vararam is not a hard install but it takes a couple of hours due to removing a lot of parts to just install it. i went with the vararam cai only first. within a few miles i started getting lean codes and the car had stuble at low rpms. could not find any leaks. installed the power duct and the stuble went away so i guess i had a air leak with the factory air bridge. Still have the lean codes though so i need to get the car tuned. not a big deal because i am ordering a set of lg pros next month and the car is being tuned then.

if you get a aftermarket air bridge the price for both kits are about the same.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Bell
Pro

As you can clearly see, there are as many opinions as there are people. I used to have a Blackwing prior to my supercharger (which came with it's own intake). From my perspective, nearly all the aftermarket intakes are better than stock and are very close to the same hp gain (and it's barely enough to feel by seat of the pants). However, a new intake is almost certainly a necessity if you're doing other upgrades too. The Blackwing is very high on hp gain compared to most and will give those gains much lower in the power band than the Vararam. But I've never seen ANY aftermarket intake advertise the same gains as Vararam at high speed (due to the higher pressure from ram effect). So if you spend alot of time driving in traffic around town, go for the Blackwing. If you're more interested in getting max gain and you do alot of high speed driving, go for Vararam. Good luck. Have fun. Drive safely.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:31 AM
black98c5
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave68

Old 01-10-2009, 12:44 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

"Supposedly the Vararam is a bit harder to install and involves cutting"

No cutting involved. It's a fairly easy install as well. Couple hours and as stated mostly disassembly. Most of the difference is true cold air and it's ram air at speed. I've seen some pretty cheap sales on them lately.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:57 AM
JPEAK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Callaway Honker..... easy install, great quality, and one big honkin filter. :

Get notified of new replies

To Cold air intake - Recommendations

Old 01-10-2009, 09:04 AM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JPEAK
Callaway Honker..... easy install, great quality, and one big honkin filter. :

Old 01-10-2009, 11:29 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Just get a Blackwing and be done with it!
Old 01-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Shirl
Safety Car

Received 1,589 Likes on 673 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Just get a Blackwing and be done with it!
But then you should get some screens too and open up the front fog light panels so that it gets cold outside air. Vararam has more direct pressure in that respect and will net better gains. But I went the Blackwing/screens route because I wanted an easier system to install and I love the looks of the filter and the screens on the front of the car.

Quick Reply: Cold air intake - Recommendations