C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will Tubbing Greatly Increase traction?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 06:43 PM
LANJET
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will Tubbing Greatly Increase traction?

I currently have 10.5" or 11" wheels (not exactly sure). They will accept a 315 tire. If I tub I can use a 12" wheel with a 345 tire. I figure the increase in section with may be 2" per tire.? Is it worth the cost and trouble to tub? Would the traction increase be worth it? Comments and suggestions welcome.

LPE TT650
Old 01-18-2002, 07:21 PM
MitchellDavidson
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Will Tubbing Greatly Increase traction? (LANJET)

You will never get traction in first gear with that setup. :smash:
Old 01-18-2002, 07:38 PM
ElDiablo
Safety Car

I have 10'' with 285 and 11.5 with 335 with no tubing
Old 01-18-2002, 07:43 PM
Bigg Turd
Advanced

IMHO tubbing is not worth it. What you gain in traction, you may loose in handling.
Old 01-18-2002, 11:00 PM
ChrisTinaBruce
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Will Tubbing Greatly Increase traction? (Bigg Lotz)

IMHO tubbing is not worth it. What you gain in traction, you may loose in handling.
Why do you think that?
Old 01-19-2002, 12:43 AM
kewlbrz
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Theoretically a wider tire does not mean better traction. The reason is because the weight of the car plays the fundemental role in applying a down force the tire.

If the tire is narrow the fixed downforce (the fixed weight of the car), creates more grip in a concentrated area. On the otherhand, and wider tire has less grip per area, but is made up for by a wider contact patch.

This means theoretically the overall grip is the same wide or narrow.

What assists most in traction is the softness of the rubber, ability to heat up and be more "grippy", and sidewall flex. Some of these factors are where you can improve traction with a wider tire.

[Modified by kewlbrz, 11:08 PM 1/18/2002]
Old 01-19-2002, 01:03 AM
MelloYellow
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Will Tubbing Greatly Increase traction? (kewlbrz)

This is the same argument the Viper owners use when their tail end spins end and they lose traction completely with little feedback.

BUT, I am going 335/30-18 shortly. :p:
Old 01-19-2002, 01:22 PM
Mell
Racer

IMHO when I tubbed my FRC and added the 335s (along with 275s in the front) traction and handling improved. Actually, not theoretically :)

Mell
Old 01-19-2002, 01:51 PM
2FAST4U
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Will Tubbing Greatly Increase traction? (Mell)

I think it is more for looks...it give the car a more exotic and aggressive stance. It may give traction too, but if you want better traction you'd get more fom 18" Nitto drag tires. They are cheap because they don't last long but they grip nice.
Old 01-20-2002, 08:41 AM
davidmax
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AT XTREME we have installed a handfull of c-5's and Z06"s for use with 12and 13" wide wheels.I use a LPE tub that Nate installed his 1st and I never saw him murmer 4 letters under his breath so often but it was his 1st.#2 was his 99 coupe seems the more you do the easier but far from simple does it become.
I run a hre 547 18x12 I believe he runs a 545 in 18x13 but you can reach him at (480)517-4969 we both run Pilot Sports at his suggestion mine was a stage2 TT 650as well yours,just got it back 7 days ago I had them upgrade it to #3 427 TT athe first 6 speed ever 8xx+ bhp on hi boost 13 lbs. The reason I went with LPE was purely Tuning I firmllybelieve once you have there TT package your married to there computer no one else can tune it and not grenade the alum.block and even though I have no Warranty I've had minor codes thrown and there stepping up to the plate and fixing it all at there expense,John is and has always been a class act,even if a turbo needs resealing he will do it for my FRT. CHARGE!!!!!

Getting back to the tubbing you would have to speak with nate on that project if straight line traction is the issue it would be of some help,I found the deepest help from my Pilots 335/30/18's-285/30/18 were in the cornaring Dept. 18's all around correct offsets for 14" Brembo 4 piston brakes make your eyeballs pop out and the abiility to take corners increased with my 8 way adj. Konis,Where the Billstiens were less money but much higher quality on the Koni's.
Nates uprading my Koni to Penske 24 pt. adj. and Hothkiss sway bar set,as well as comp adjustable alignment as well as some other pieces I cant remember.I like to hook up but John L.hasforwarned me that on Hi-Boost with 100 octane race fuel even after these mods the tires will light up at 100 mph.on a straight with standard 3:42 gears with T/C on in 4th gear so you decide.I wish I could quote you prices and LPE and XTREME the Co. I work for both do superclean installs impossible to tell from stock.I love handling and on the 650 bhp car you will hook up and come out of the hole cleaner and I have no 60's to compare as I drive the open road and usually start from a rolling 60 mph.Good Luck David Smilovic.What # is your car auto or manual?,Dave ps
My 650 did alot of tire smoking in 3rd gear at 75 hit in 3rd after or before tubs and it did the old F-15 stuff if it had wings im convinced it would have flown with 585+rrwhp.If you want to e mail me I dont know which one shows here but the best for getting me is yavada@proigy.net and my home# is
(480)609-9446.Stay in touch there arent manyTT guys out there I was originally # 26or 28 keep in touch if you have a prolem and LPE is finshed with the warranty or you know other beast owners lets get a list and meet in SanDiego or somewhere we can go beach hopping in thstage 1 2 or3 maybe now stage4 I would find that fun having 5 kids and all!!!!! stay in touch Dave
Old 01-20-2002, 05:09 PM
Nate@CorvetteGarage
Supporting Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
St. Jude Contributor '04

I agree with Mell. I tubbed our shop vette and run 12 inch HREs with 335/30s.
Traction did improve and so did handling. In your case, with 650-800hp on tap, you will have a hard time hooking up no matter what set up(wheel/tire-tub) you use. Most tuners, including us and LPE, use and install 2 inch tubs to offer the most traction possible, not for looks. Looks are secondary.

After reading back through replys, I felt I needed to add something. The tire/wheel/tub I am speaking of is for everyday use on the street. If you plan on using the car only for track use, then no, dont tub the car. Run 16" wheels w/drags or slicks. Yes, that set up will hook on the track, but who wants to run that as their everyday set up?

Nate

ps- Davidmax, you and I need to talk!
Infomercials are not welcome here! :nono:

[Modified by Nate@xtreme, 3:32 PM 1/20/2002]
Old 01-21-2002, 10:51 AM
01C5fan
Racer

Default Re: Will Tubbing Greatly Increase traction? (Nate@xtreme)

Nate,

I'm thinking about tubbing my 01 coupe and have a couple of questions. What are the offsets on the 18x12 and 18x13 wheels? Do you find that the tires stick out beyond the fenders noticeably? Any pics would be great. Thanks.

Gordon
Old 01-21-2002, 12:21 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Default Re: Will Tubbing Greatly Increase traction? (kewlbrz)

kewlbrz wrote: This means theoretically the overall grip is the same wide or narrow.

I write: under the assumptions of identical ruber compound, inflation pressures, and operating temperature.

Another variable to consider is that a wider tire is more sensitive to the camber curve of the suspension settings. So while a 285 may be ok
with the factory suspension settings on the Vette, a 335 may be over the edge. The added width makes the tire more sensitive to the leaning of the car, and the added 20% width of the 335 means that some of the contact patch may lift from the road at suspension camber settings that the contact patch of a 285 will not lift (assumes equal height side walls). This lifting of the contact patch is associated with snap overstear, snap spins, and in general a much more abrupt transition from slipping to sliding.

Finally, the wider tire is invariable heavier, and, therefore, needs more rebound damping (shock) to maintain the contact patch on the road surface, but needs the same compression damping.
Old 01-21-2002, 12:38 PM
Mell
Racer

Default Re: Will Tubbing Greatly Increase traction? (01C5fan)

01C5fan

Go to my website and the offset info for the 12s is there in the wheel section. Also pics of the fender wells. You can see about an 1/8" of the sidewall sticking out beyond the fender lips if you look real carefully.

MitchAlsup

I am not running factory suspension settings. Also, I use adjustable penske shocks to help in the suspension tuning.

As far as the width of the tire, what are the C5rs running?

Actually my car is set up more for road race then drag race. I think the point made by Nate@xtreme about running 16" wheels w/drags or slicks is a good one if your are only a straight liner.

Mell
Old 01-21-2002, 01:58 PM
01C5fan
Racer

Mell - Looks great. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:33 PM
Nate@CorvetteGarage
Supporting Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
St. Jude Contributor '04

Default Re: Will Tubbing Greatly Increase traction? (01C5fan)

Gordon, I am running 18x12s in the rear and they do not stick out past the fended. Email me direct and I will send pics to you. Thanks!

Nate
Old 01-21-2002, 10:31 PM
LANJET
Racer

Default Re: Will Tubbing Greatly Increase traction? (ElDiablo)

ElDiablo--- you have 335's with no tubbing. Do you have a problem with the inside of the tire rubbing or the tire protruding out past the fender well? What is the offset of your rear wheels? Great feed back on this topic-- Thanks to all!!!!!!!!!

LPE TT650
Old 01-21-2002, 11:55 PM
MelloYellow
Le Mans Master

ttt
Old 01-22-2002, 08:32 PM
LANJET
Racer

Default Re: Will Tubbing Greatly Increase traction? (davidmax)

David- My car is #20, convertible, 6 spd.

LPE TT650

Get notified of new replies

To Will Tubbing Greatly Increase traction?

Quick Reply: Will Tubbing Greatly Increase traction?