C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Descreen this MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 01:50 AM
verano29
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NC99
Even on a dyno, it would be very hard to tell if the increase of 7 RWHP was from the removal of the screen. Dyno runs vary from pull to pull. Typically, dyno runs will vary within 7 RWHP anyway. Even on a dyno, there are variables that will change the numbers.

I would be very, very surprised if removing the screens is responsible for 7 RWHP, or anything above 2 RWHP, and 2 RWHP is being very generous.

My opinion is to leave the screens alone. Those screens stop turbulence. The MAF with screens is more than capable of flowing plenty of air to our cars, of course unless they are modded to no end.
My motor isn't stock. 7 rwhp is what removing the screen gave me...no doubt about it. Some of the aftermarket MAFs will give a 10-12hp increase. Just look at the pic, removing that screen increases flow 20-30%. True, the screen reduces turbulance but a good tuner can take care of that.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:27 AM
AFTRBRNR
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by verano29
My motor isn't stock. 7 rwhp is what removing the screen gave me...no doubt about it. Some of the aftermarket MAFs will give a 10-12hp increase. Just look at the pic, removing that screen increases flow 20-30%. True, the screen reduces turbulance but a good tuner can take care of that.
(To the good tuner part.) <------ Good luck finding one willing to spend the time getting it just right!

Most "tuners" out there give you an 80% solution tune at best. They want money so they give you a tune that works but you know deep down that it could be better. Find a tuner that will stay up late making "your baby" perfect and you have the same odds as being struck by lightning twice.

If I knew how to tune my own car....she'd be perfect.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:28 AM
dieseldave56
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 5 hp.............

According to John Juriga, GM Asst. Chief Engineer for GEN 3 engines , descreening the '01 LSx and adding the '02-'04 Z06 fresh air intake filter housing would add 5 hp. That would be net and not rear wheel.

Both Dave Hill and John Juriga commented that descreening MAF was an oversight for the '01 Z06. Since this is an old trick to gain hp and the the screen is just to straighten out the air flow , which is not needed on the Z06 , there is no problem with removing it.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Tom Porter
Racer

I removed my screen and ported and polished the inside of the MAF. I also ported and polished the TB. At that time I had no mods. I have found that I had much better throttle response afterward. I would do it again.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:19 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Leave the screen, its a feel good "placebo" mod and could even cause driveability issues.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:35 PM
convette01
Advanced

Thanks for the replies, I knew this would create a lot of debate. I believe I will keep the screen until I can move forward with my header purchase, then dyno the car and most likely remove the screen after a tune.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:49 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I went back nd further between the screened and unscreened MAF.

I purchased a ported and descreened MAF and switched many times to determine if I liked the way the car ran.

The only differance I noticed was at the low end. I thought pick up was better off the line with the descreened, BUT I noticed crawling through a parking lots the bucking and surging was worse.

Ive gotten better at tuning, and im thinking of jumping on a 85mm MAF if I find one at the right price.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:19 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

When I had a '98 C5 I removed the screen. I also modified and polished the MAF ends and installed a complete BPP Vortex intake. I don't how much, if any at all, power it added to the hp (screen removal) but overall the car ran great with no negative running issues. Gas mileage stayed the same and e.t.'s were down a little. I also had ported the throttle body.

Quick Reply: Descreen this MAF?