C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle sound.... Dealer says it's exhaust.... Exhaust shop says it's CV/U Joint.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 12:19 PM
Trouble
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle sound.... Dealer says it's exhaust.... Exhaust shop says it's CV/U Joint.

I noticed a wierd rattle sound coming from the back of my C5 about 2 months ago. I figured it was the B&B triflow exhaust. 1st off it is kinda wierd because it will only do it when the car is in gear and on the ground (not on the lift). It's between 1300 and 1600 rpm and also around 2200 rpm. It has gotten worse as time has gone on too. I took it to the exhaust shop, and we did a couple things to test it. Of coarse it wouldnt do it on the lift. So we took it for a ride. It did it, but the exhaust guy said the sound of it was funny. Long story short... we did circles and on a left turn it still would do it. But not on the right. After making a circle to the right for 30 seconds or so the noise stops even when driving stright right after for 30 seconds or so, but it slowly comes back.... Do you follow me? He thought it wasnt the exhaust but possibly the CV or U joints. Well of coarse I take it to the dealer and they say no way! It's the exhaust..... Has anyone had an experience with something like this? It's very frustrating! I think I will have to put the stock catback on to see if it stops. Any help would be appreciated!

[Modified by Trouble, 10:22 AM 1/16/2002]
Old 01-17-2002, 10:00 AM
Trouble
Advanced

Default Re: Rattle sound.... Dealer says it's exhaust.... Exhaust shop says it's CV/U Joint. (Trouble)

Anyone?
Old 01-17-2002, 01:09 PM
Joecooool
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Jax Events Coordinator
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08

Default Re: Rattle sound.... Dealer says it's exhaust.... Exhaust shop says it's CV/U Joint. (Trouble)

Had the same problem after I put my Corsa's on. Have the exhaust shop tighten the sway bar.
Old 01-18-2002, 11:32 PM
Trouble
Advanced

Default Re: Rattle sound.... Dealer says it's exhaust.... Exhaust shop says it's CV/U Joint. (joecooool)

Thanks for the info I will check that out!!!!!! :D :cool:
Old 01-19-2002, 07:07 PM
desertvett
Racer

Hello Trouble,

I just saw your post, check mine out titled:Lost on The 14 FWY!!!!

I have the same problem and I'm going nuts with it. Have you seen any improvement in your problem

thanks
desertvett
Old 01-20-2002, 12:35 PM
Trouble
Advanced

Default Re: Rattle sound.... Dealer says it's exhaust.... Exhaust shop says it's CV/U Joint. (desertvett)

Hello Trouble,

I just saw your post, check mine out titled:Lost on The 14 FWY!!!!

I have the same problem and I'm going nuts with it. Have you seen any improvement in your problem

thanks
desertvett
I havent had a chance to check the antisway bar yet. It makes sense though thats what it could be. I will post my results during the week!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Rattle sound.... Dealer says it's exhaust.... Exhaust shop says it's CV/U Joint.

Quick Reply: Rattle sound.... Dealer says it's exhaust.... Exhaust shop says it's CV/U Joint.