C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Techron really work

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 02:33 AM
PierEagle
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the problem once, about 2 years ago. Started using Techron and problem has not repeated. I use a 12oz bottle about every 5th tank of gas. What I don't understand is why this problem is pretty much Vette related. Did they use some kind of exotic material in the sender or sender wires that corrodes more easily?

I have never had this problem with any non-Vette auto I own or have owned, regardless of the brand of gas used.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:26 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

It worked for me

My gauge would rise to 3/4 and then slowly creep up to full. I guess it was the early stages of sulfur build up

Two tanks with Techron added and it hasn't reocurred since and thats over 2 years now. I have a bottle ready to go in at the first sign of a problem
Old 11-25-2008, 09:09 AM
Plasticfan
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My fuel gage messed up a week after I got the car (1.5 yrs ago).
I added Techron to the next two fill ups and switched to Chevron or Texaco, both have Techron, never a problem since.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:59 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I add Techron to the fuel tank every year, as a part my winter storage procedure.
In 7 years, no fuel gauge problems so far.

I would have to say it works.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:11 AM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Where's that one person who usually says it isn't necessary and we're just buying into some slick advertising hype?
I use a large bottle about every three to four months during the summer months. No CHEVRON stations around here anymore, so I buy from SHELL or TEXACO.
Also, COSTCO sells a product made by CHEVRON that is packaged exactly like TECHRON, six to the carton for $15.95.
It specifically says that it's to clean injectors, but I'd bet it's the same chemical composition.

Last edited by hotwheels57; 11-25-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:21 PM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
Also, COSTCO sells a product made by CHEVRON that is packaged exactly like TECHRON, six to the carton for $15.95.
It specifically says that it's to clean injectors, but I'd bet it's the same chemical composition.
I saw the 6 pack in Costco too, but it was Chevron Pro-Gard fuel injection cleaner.

The Techron Concentrate Plus formula is the only one that will remove sulphur deposits from fuel gauge sensors.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:46 PM
yankeevetteconvert
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quicksilver Vert 01
I saw the 6 pack in Costco too, but it was Chevron Pro-Gard fuel injection cleaner.

The Techron Concentrate Plus formula is the only one that will remove sulphur deposits from fuel gauge sensors.
Wrong.

I use the Costco Pro-Guard and it works.I have been using six years and have had no problems with the fuel gauge.At the first sign of a problem i put a bottle of Pro-Guard in and I am good for at least 4 months. Pro-Guard does contain Techron, it is on the label and box.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:39 PM
CLEAR
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by yankeevetteconvert
Wrong.

I use the Costco Pro-Guard and it works.I have been using six years and have had no problems with the fuel gauge.At the first sign of a problem i put a bottle of Pro-Guard in and I am good for at least 4 months. Pro-Guard does contain Techron, it is on the label and box.

I suppose a $6 bottle of chemical is better than replacing parts. It sucks F'n with this guauge problem all the time, even every 4 months. They should recall these cars no matter the miles. Ive had this problem with other vehicles and guess what......I only drive GM!
Old 11-26-2008, 07:23 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Costco Pro-Guard does contain Techron, it is on the label and box.

I'm not disputing that. What I'm saying, is the PERCENTAGE of Techron in the Pro-Guard formula is much LESS than the more expensive Techron Concentrate Plus formula. It's not the same chemical composition, as you suggested.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:51 AM
yankeevetteconvert
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not disputing that. What I'm saying, is the PERCENTAGE of Techron in the Pro-Guard formula is much LESS than the more expensive Techron Concentrate Plus formula. It's not the same chemical composition, as you suggested.

I did not suggest that.I said that it contained Techron.My point was it does work. I have been using it for six years with great sucess. I have recommended it to others who also have used it with sucess.You flatly said it doesn't work and that is not true in my case and for several others that I have recommended it to.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:07 AM
SleepDr
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

That is 100% correct, still a good deal tho.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Default What Chevron says about their additives

I did not suggest that.I said that it contained Techron.My point was it does work. I have been using it for six years with great sucess. I have recommended it to others who also have used it with sucess.You flatly said it doesn't work and that is not true in my case and for several others that I have recommended it to.
Here's a link to Chevron, which oulines the "useful benefits" of both fuel system additives that they make: http://www.chevron.com/products/ourf...erv/additives/
Old 11-26-2008, 08:58 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by HG
From what I just read, it's expensive to replace the sending unit. If this seems to help, I guess it is a cheaper repair. Thanks for the responce.
I had both my sending units replaced under warrenty.. driver side was ~$980 and passenger side was ~$860.. I kept the old parts and took them back to the shop for diagnostics on the mode of failure.

The printed circuit board had blackish goo on the contacts on both units.. a little cleaner and a tooth brush and they cleaned right up.. hooked up the ohm meter and they were EXACTLY in the range they were supposed to be (i.e. driver side 40ohm-250ohm). with smooth transition in between..

I now have a set of extra parts with low low miles on them.. but have learned that preventative maintenance is the key here.. and its not necessarily millage that effects them.. as much as time and the gas in your area.. (as mine had seen nothing but shell - top tier).

Every oil change or six month I'll be adding a bottle to the car.. the contents of the bottle make a higher concentrate than that found just in the chevron gas (or other brands that have it as a std additive).

hope that helps!
Old 11-26-2008, 10:21 AM
The Wrench
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Remember, though; as stated above, the ONLY way the Techron additive really works best is to pour it in and go DRIVE FAST for about an hour. HeHe.

DG
Old 11-27-2008, 06:41 PM
Double G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick Reply: Does Techron really work