C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What else to do when the wheels are off besides paint calipers...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 11:46 AM
lioninavette
Burning Brakes

Location: Ponderables, yes. My opinion, not totally. Preaching...I don't have a pulpit. Fact and generalizations about what I am reading on behalf of what you tell me...absolutely.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What else to do when the wheels are off besides paint calipers...?

Hi Everyone,
I am finally ready to take the wheels off the vette to do a little caliper painting. What else does anyone do when the wheels are off? I plan on cleaning the inside of the wheel and wheel well, but thought I would see if there is anything else I should look for and do.
Thanks in advance!

Ron
Old 01-13-2002, 12:31 PM
ntnsec5
Racer

Default Re: What else to do when the wheels are off besides paint calipers...? (lioninavette)

If inclined to do so, lower her. You'll like the look (meaner, agressive) and she'll be more stable and firmly planted to the road. Just my $.02.
Old 01-13-2002, 01:31 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: What else to do when the wheels are off besides paint calipers...? (lioninavette)

This is an easy one, cause I just did it. I had her up on 4 jack stands.

1. Detail the inside and outside of the tires and wheels. (Wash, Zaino, Armorall)
2. detail the inside of all wheel wells (wash and Armorall)
3. Lower the car

Schweet !!!!! :D

Old 01-13-2002, 01:52 PM
Sniper168gr
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Everyone,
I am finally ready to take the wheels off the vette to do a little caliper painting. What else does anyone do when the wheels are off? I plan on cleaning the inside of the wheel and wheel well, but thought I would see if there is anything else I should look for and do.
Thanks in advance!
Ron
Once a year (although it didn't happen yet) I take all 4 wheels off and detail the under carriage. I clean any corroded parts, spot paint any parts needing some TLC, and wipe all parts down with some preservative (I use Armoral Tire Foam).

Old 01-13-2002, 03:02 PM
G Man
Drifting

Default Re: What else to do when the wheels are off besides paint calipers...? (Sniper168gr)

Only thing I can add, is polish your suspension pieces. ;)
Old 01-13-2002, 03:53 PM
Bob C
Melting Slicks

You may want to take the time to clean and paint the rotors (all not braking surfaces). I glass beaded mine and then taped off the friction areas, then I applied high temp. (1500*) paint in a cast iron color.Here are a couple pictures. I still need to attend to the hubs.

[Modified by Bob C, 1:47 PM 1/13/2002]
Old 01-13-2002, 06:51 PM
geekracer
Melting Slicks

Check the brake lines while you're in there. :)
Old 01-13-2002, 06:59 PM
Sniper168gr
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What else to do when the wheels are off besides paint calipers...? (Bob C)

Bob - NICE JOB!!! :cheers: I'm impressed! I'm going to have to do this as well when I put her on the jack stands this winter! :yesnod:
Old 01-13-2002, 06:59 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Re: What else to do when the wheels are off besides paint calipers...? (MMarquez)

Might want to adjust your parking brakes so that the @$%# things work like they're supposed to. :) :)
Old 01-14-2002, 02:21 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,213 Likes on 3,457 Posts

Default Re: What else to do when the wheels are off besides paint calipers...? (Tx99FRC)

Use some dark paint on the inside of the wheels that's always dirty and looks it.
Old 01-14-2002, 08:20 AM
FastC4
Intermediate

Polishing the forged aluminum suspension works wonders. Can use Wenol, or Mother's Mag wheel polish.

Install a set of mirror brake pad covers when you paint the calipers.

Paint the rotors.
Old 01-14-2002, 05:34 PM
PRIMAL
Pro

I did my rotors with POR-15. Just wire brushed them and applied the POR-15 (in black)Not on the friction surface of course. So far its been a year and they wash up nice and I have noticed no peeling,rust, ect.
:cheers:
POR-15.com
Old 01-14-2002, 06:03 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I see you have a 97..

Last weekend I flushed the brake fluid on my 98.. I once thought this was a BS service, but after seeing many caliper re-builds due to water in the brake fluid, I've changed my mind. The fluid on mine was looking like Rio Grande Mud after 3 years, and that is with just normal street driving.

A 1-man bleeder hose ($8 from NAPA) makes it a real easy job...

As with most C5 work, getting the car off the ground is half the battle!

I did this:

1) Remove as much old fluid as you can from the master cyclinder (I used a turkey bastier!)

2) Fill the master to the top with new DOT3 (or DOT4) brake fluid

3) Start with the Right Rear (then LR, RF, LF) and attach the bleeder hose, crack the bleeder valve 1/4 turn, then pump the pedal gently, then wait 15 seconds. Repeat until it looks clear coming out. Tighten bleeder valve and move to next wheel.

4) Make sure you don't allow the master cyclinder to go dry... check it every 15-20 pumps or so and top it off.

When done, remove/add brake fluid so it is at the proper level. It took about a full quart to flush mine.

You probably want to do this BEFORE you paint the calipers... Since brake fluid does terrible things to paint!

Good luck,
Old 01-14-2002, 06:49 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

Clean the inside of the wheels
Old 01-14-2002, 10:49 PM
Sniper168gr
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What else to do when the wheels are off besides paint calipers...? (SDVette)

I see you have a 97..

Last weekend I flushed the brake fluid on my 98.. I once thought this was a BS service, but after seeing many caliper re-builds due to water in the brake fluid, I've changed my mind. The fluid on mine was looking like Rio Grande Mud after 3 years, and that is with just normal street driving.
Really! :eek: I only have 7500 miles on mine, but I'm wondering if I should do the same? :confused:

Get notified of new replies

To What else to do when the wheels are off besides paint calipers...?

Quick Reply: What else to do when the wheels are off besides paint calipers...?