C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRC? What's itstabd for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 12:00 AM
TexasKidd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FRC? What's itstabd for?

What does FRC stand for and what makes it so sought after? I know it's some sort of limitd edition C5 (99' and 00', right?)

Darn - can't edit title of my post. Supposed to be "it stand for?" My bad!
Old 10-26-2008, 12:05 AM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

Maybe "Fixed Roof Coupe". Pre Z-06.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:12 AM
BitViper
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Factory Race Car!
Old 10-26-2008, 01:11 AM
oakvillec5
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

ttt
Old 10-26-2008, 01:34 AM
slvrzo6
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Already Said but it's "Fixed Roof Coupe"..
Old 10-26-2008, 02:07 AM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Default Devil's advocate on the FRC

Nobody wanted them (honestly) back in '99 and '00. They were the closest thing to the Zo6 mentality before the Zo6 was announced.... the downside is that is had limited color options and limited feature options... plus it was billed as the "cheaper" Corvette so at a time when guys were popping big cash on the new C5's.... they didn't want the "cheaper one with less options and colors."

Not many people wanted a strictly auto cross Corvette, and honestly the FRC isn't much faster even at the edge on a course.

Now they are a cult classic among people who find them, but honestly, the additional features on the Zo6 (horsepower/shorter transmission gearing/suspension/weight/resale) have made the FRC a non-issue in the real world... current owners just love them because that's what they have.... most would love a base 6-speed C5 just the same.

FRC's go for 18 grand in nice shape, and Zo6's go for low 20's in nice shape... but that's more a function of newer year, etc...
Old 10-26-2008, 08:12 AM
legman
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

....Flying Roof Club.....
Old 10-26-2008, 08:48 AM
2000BC
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
Nobody wanted them (honestly) back in '99 and '00. They were the closest thing to the Zo6 mentality before the Zo6 was announced.... the downside is that is had limited color options and limited feature options... plus it was billed as the "cheaper" Corvette so at a time when guys were popping big cash on the new C5's.... they didn't want the "cheaper one with less options and colors."

Not many people wanted a strictly auto cross Corvette, and honestly the FRC isn't much faster even at the edge on a course.

Now they are a cult classic among people who find them, but honestly, the additional features on the Zo6 (horsepower/shorter transmission gearing/suspension/weight/resale) have made the FRC a non-issue in the real world... current owners just love them because that's what they have.... most would love a base 6-speed C5 just the same.

FRC's go for 18 grand in nice shape, and Zo6's go for low 20's in nice shape... but that's more a function of newer year, etc...
I bought my 2000 FRC new in 2000 just because I thought it looked pretty cool with the "short" hardtop instead of the "fastback" coupe. Any performance issues compared to todays ZO6 were solved with a multitude of mods and a TT. ....... I still think it looks cool.....
Old 10-26-2008, 11:25 AM
2KFRC5
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasKidd
What does FRC stand for and what makes it so sought after? I know it's some sort of limitd edition C5 (99' and 00', right?)

Darn - can't edit title of my post. Supposed to be "it stand for?" My bad!

A little background on the FRC.
http://www.idavette.net/hib/99hdtp.htm
Old 10-26-2008, 11:57 AM
abigfoot
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Everybody's pretty much dead on. Fixed Roof Coupe was the designation. They didn't have as many options available. The two things I don't have on mine that someone would like would be the passenger power seat and the digital temp control. They were made stiffer which You can notice in driving the two (Coupe and Hardtop) don't have as many rattles as coupe. I have driven several of both and it is one of the things that stand out. Other than that there pretty much the same car. The largest difference is production numbers. total for 99 was 33270 units of that 4031 were hardtops. In 2000 the FRC production numbers were half that. Scarcity and Uniqueness have always been the desirability factor in Corvettes. Will they have the these traits? I don't know. Production numbers are similar to early 90's ZR1 numbers, but there not the one of a kind car the ZR1 is or was. I like mine, if I had a regular C5 I'm sure I would like it just as much. I like the C5 ZO6 but I don't like the air intake louvers on the rear ( look like a afterthought, my opinion!). You can't go wrong with any C5 right now. Best bang for buck in the used performance car market. My opinions!

Last edited by abigfoot; 10-26-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:16 PM
vettekidc5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by abigfoot
They were made stiffer which You can notice in driving the two (Coupe and Hardtop) don't have as many rattles as coupe.
Your probally noticing the Z51 suspension thats standard on the frc.

The 99 coupe with the Z51 package(what i happen to have) Will narrow that gap of stiffness to nill gain. Driving my friends 98 with base suspension its a huge difference.

the roof doesnt make as much of a difference as people think, You would really have to be pushing the car on its edge... The c5 was originally designed as a convertible, then the coupe design followed it, so ive read here.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:38 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Fast Race Car
Old 10-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Jaquess
Instructor

Default Frc

Fuel Rail Covers
Old 10-26-2008, 06:00 PM
NavyVet
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ferocious Rapid Corvette!

Or, GM's technical abbreviation for 'hardtop.'

Actually all of the above, plus lighter weight. Every little bit helps. Ours actually came with zero options - as base a base model as you can get. Since 2005 when we bought it, we've sort of 'optioned' it to what we want. Actually, I wish they ahd come with roll up windows too, so I could have avoided the weight of the power window mechanisms and still be in the class we run. We love the styling and hated to give up our '04 Z06, but something had to go to get the '07 Z06.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:43 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

I noticed the same thing about the hardtop having less rattles than the coupe. They just feel a little more tightly screwed together, which they are. Not a difference to most. I bought one because it was different.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:12 PM
TexasKidd
Advanced

Thanks for all the answers. I love corvettes! Learn something every day. The way my wife drives hers, I'm gonna have to beome a corvette mechanic to keep it up (I mean, to maintain her car).
Old 10-26-2008, 09:46 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA

How about the simple fact, they just looked better!!!
Old 10-26-2008, 09:58 PM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

They are just plain fun cars!! I like the idea that there just are not a lot of them around!In 2000 just 1,200 us FRCs ! My club has over 100 members ,many with several cars,,only 1 other FRC. I might have the only one in town! Maybe I just like being a little different!
Old 10-26-2008, 11:20 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Hardtops are available for convertibles now. When installed they look just like FRC's.

Get notified of new replies

To FRC? What's itstabd for?

Quick Reply: FRC? What's itstabd for?