C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission - Am I being taken?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 10:28 AM
BuffaloFan32
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission - Am I being taken?

As I posted yesterday, my clutch pedal was sticking to the floor so I had it towed to the nearest AAMCO. They told me it was the master or slave cylinder on the hydaulic clutch and that they needed to remove the transmission to replace it (which is an extra $800). Are those inside the transmission? That doesn't seem right to me. Now that it is open, they are saying I need a new clutch assembly and the total cost is $3500. Did they need to open the transmission at all?

I drive a 2000 Corvette
Old 10-25-2008, 10:50 AM
fst85vtt
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes your getting ripped average clutch in stall 5-800 labor + parts lets just say ls7 clutch kit with new slave, master , pilot bearing around 770 in parts
Old 10-25-2008, 11:04 AM
fst85vtt
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

And on top of that the sticking clutch pedal is a common problem with c5s you could try changing the fluid... I would get your car out of there asap.. Take it to a reputable shop there are many forum sponsors on here that would like your business and wont butt rape you in the process

Last edited by fst85vtt; 10-25-2008 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:16 AM
BuffaloFan32
4th Gear

Originally Posted by fst85vtt
And on top of that the sticking clutch pedal is a common problem with c5s you could try changing the fluid... I would get your car out of there asap.. Take it to a reputable shop there are many forum sponsors on here that would like your business and wont butt rape you in the process
Anybody know a good shop or forum sponsor in Houston, TX? I am not sure how much I owe this guy already. I might already be raped.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Cost is way to high. Yes, they do need to remove the transmission to replace the clutch. Don't know of a car that you can replace the clutch without removing the tranny. With the C5 you need to pull the exhaust, tunnel plate, diff, tranny and torque tube to get to the clutch.

Bill
Old 10-25-2008, 11:28 AM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, they don't open the transmission for either. However, to get to the slave and the clutch the drive line and transmission have to be dropped. The slave is what pushes on the clutch to disengage it, it and the clutch sit between the drive line and the engine. It is a major PIA to even bleed the clutch.

The LS7 clutch is relatively inexpensive at $458.86 from the link below, but you need to buy it as a package with the fly wheel. Go to www.gmpartshouse.com for the best prices on both it and the slave. A slave is not real cheap, like $120.

I would suggest buying a remote bleeder for your clutch while its out, with it you can bleed your clutch easily any time. IMO bleeding it will help keep it functioning correctly for a long time. It attaches to the slave, and you have to do it while the drive line is out of the car.

Are you being taken? It sounds like a lot of money. Maybe the parts place is making a lot off the parts. But, can't tell 100%. I really don't know what the going price for a clutch install is, but seems over priced to me. Have them itemize the estimate for you. See if you can provide the parts and see if that helps the price.

Good luck with it.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:33 AM
slvrzo6
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jesus, get your car outta there!! AAMCO will RIP you off. Long story short.. HAD a 1991 Mustang with a AOD tranny.. (This Happened 15 years ago. Though) Blew it up.. Went to AAMCO to get a New C4 Tranny. (Bought all the Parts threw Aamco, I was dumb then) Got my Car back after week. I Blew up the NEW Transmission the NEXT DAY. Find out they just re-built my AOD, Added a Higher Stall Torque Converter and a Hardened input shaft.. They Charged me $$$ for a new Transmission that I never Got, Just a Rebuilt AOD. In the END I lost and AAMCO won.. I'm much smarter now.. Hope everything goes ok..

Last edited by slvrzo6; 10-25-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:31 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

I paid $3500 for a clutch, tranny rebuild (synchro in 2nd was weak) new slave cylinder, fuel filter, and also to reseal the differential. That price included labor.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:01 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BuffaloFan32
Anybody know a good shop or forum sponsor in Houston, TX? I am not sure how much I owe this guy already. I might already be raped.
I would get the car out of there. That's a rip off

EG is in Houston. Here is one of his threads.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...6&highlight=eg
Old 10-25-2008, 03:16 PM
stormrider
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
I would get the car out of there. That's a rip off

EG is in Houston. Here is one of his threads.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...6&highlight=eg
If I lived in Houston that is where I would take my Vette
Old 10-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Jim Taylor
Pro

How many miles do you have on your clutch, and have you had any problems with slipping? AAMCO is famous for doing unnecessary work at exorbitant prices. I'd have them put the car back together and tow it to England Green. I had a similar problem and it was just the master cylinder. It's a $50 part, and it's easy to replace. I'd start with that. As far as bleeding the clutch and/or getting to the slave cylinder, yes you have to drop the tranny and torque tube. You might want to get AAMCO to install a remote bleeder since they already have it taken apart.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:25 PM
_Will_
Team Owner

Location: Somewhere between mild insanity and complete psychosis
Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

As I posted yesterday, my clutch pedal was sticking to the floor so I had it towed to the nearest AAMCO. They told me it was the master or slave cylinder on the hydaulic clutch and that they needed to remove the transmission to replace it (which is an extra $800). Are those inside the transmission? That doesn't seem right to me. Now that it is open, they are saying I need a new clutch assembly and the total cost is $3500. Did they need to open the transmission at all?

I drive a 2000 Corvette

Get the heck out of that shop.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:31 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

$3500 for a clutch job!!!
Wow!!!

Sorry but you are being ripped off.

Please give us a call and we can get you squared away - we ONLY work on 1997-2009 Corvettes.

Stephen
281 464 2800
Old 10-25-2008, 07:43 PM
navy99vert
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by EG@EnglandGreen
$3500 for a clutch job!!!
Wow!!!

Sorry but you are being ripped off.

Please give us a call and we can get you squared away - we ONLY work on 1997-2009 Corvettes.

Stephen
281 464 2800
^^^^^^^^
Good People
Old 10-26-2008, 07:45 AM
02 C5man
Pro

If AAMCO hasn't already started ripping stuff apart, you may be able to get out of there without paying too much.
I had a 95 Trans AM that they pulled the transmission off, then claimed they realized it was "a special 6-speed" and that it would be too difficult to fix and they would be better off finding me a rebuilt unit for it, and while we're at it doing a clutch job for another $1000 or so. They didn't know this info until after they pulled the tranny hoping that I'd be stuck there with it. The tranny they found was $3000. The most expensive I found was $2200. I called another transmission guy to send a wrecker to ****** the car out of there.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:32 AM
KCvetteowner
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, looks like the guys in that shop will be getting their Christmas bonuses after all!! Even if they charge you close to $750 to get the car back together I would get out of there. Seriously it took me about 45 minutes the first time to get the rear end lowered down and ready to pull out. Your talking about the shifter, exhaust, tunnel plate, just a few bolts in the rear. It may look like they took quite a bit of it apart but it goes back fairly easy. They should be able to bolt the rear back up and roll it out of there without the exhaust, tunnel plate installed.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:36 AM
BIG ATLANTA
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 77 Posts

The lesson learned.... Anytime your car breaks down tow it home,get on the forum for advise on how to fix it, then follow that advise whether it is DIY or tow it somewhere else. I have saved several thousands of dollars using the forum. The folks out here are the best !!

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission - Am I being taken?

Old 10-26-2008, 12:20 PM
kg54trains
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Ripping Off

I drive a 2000 Corvette
These francished shops are big trouble on any thing you bring in. They have a high over head and that is trouble. The higher over head means mechanics are pushed to come up with additional charges or even ghost repairs. They also do not have top skilled personnel to complete the repairs. You need to request a written estimate with strict instructions to complete no repairs until you give them written authorization prior to every repair that is completed. A verbal authorization is a shops license to steal and add on ghost repairs that may not be done but you are charged. Call the franchise headquarters in PA. and request a customer service rep and ask about the shop time hours quoted. You can work backwards to determine labor costs, and parts costs. Call Gene at GMPARTSHOUSE he can help with the information on parts. They are a great source to purchase any GM PART. Bottom line is get your car to a place that can deliver the repair at a honest charge. I might bet that they did not open anything and this a come on for the repair. Go without calling and look for your car. You might be angry with the results you discover
Old 10-26-2008, 09:00 PM
TexasKidd
Advanced

I think I would be there in person tomorrow morning before they open and make sure they know not to touch your car. Have it towed somewhere else. I don't trust any of those places.

There's a reason these kinds of places have the reputations they have.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:22 PM
BuffaloFan32
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 02 C5man
If AAMCO hasn't already started ripping stuff apart, you may be able to get out of there without paying too much.
I had a 95 Trans AM that they pulled the transmission off, then claimed they realized it was "a special 6-speed" and that it would be too difficult to fix and they would be better off finding me a rebuilt unit for it, and while we're at it doing a clutch job for another $1000 or so. They didn't know this info until after they pulled the tranny hoping that I'd be stuck there with it. The tranny they found was $3000. The most expensive I found was $2200. I called another transmission guy to send a wrecker to ****** the car out of there.
This is pretty much what is happening to me but they have already pulled the transmission out. I think they will want $700 just to put everything back together the way it was. Do you guys think I should eat it and get out of there? I will call EG in the morning and see what they think. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: Transmission - Am I being taken?