C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

~^*!&$@ column lock

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 09:33 PM
skoorbrannug
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ~^*!&$@ column lock

Ok soo... I cleaned up the car and packed my bags for a road trip and as i got in the car for the 3rd or 4th time last friday it decided to go ahead and give me that awsome pull key and wait crap that it always seems to do when it thinks I might be in a hurry. So I did and I waited and I try again then same song and dance yet again. Now round three and i get the column lock msg... YAY! So needless to say i had to travel in the more dependable nissan that the gf drives.

Back to the issue at hand now my car is on lock down and it takes about 6 restarts to get it in or out of the garage and I am not sure what the problem is exactly and the more searches and posts i read the more lost i feel. I called the dealership since i bought the car used and they informed me that the recall had been performed and all i can do is tow it to them and allow them to take full advantage. Now i have read about the "Harness K" and the "clb" and the pros and cons of the clb, but did not get a clear understanding of what i can do myself with the recall allready done. please help if you can
Old 10-22-2008, 02:03 AM
Mrs. CoW
Racer

Time to give Chuck CoW a call, not only can he do a mean tune but he can also fix the column lock problem for good. If your car is not a daily driver and you can wait a couple of day, you can send the computer to Chuck and he can program the "fix" in to it, add a CLB device and you will be rid of the darn Column Lock message forever

Here is his number 914-332-0049 and he's available pretty much anytime if you have questions.

FireEyes
Old 10-22-2008, 09:02 AM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

disconnect battery, remove the knee bolster below the steering column and then remove the harness K that the dealer installed as part of the recall. hook up the column lock wiring back to the way it was without the harness K. reconnect battery and you should be good to go, for the time being. Go inside the house, order a CLB from Corvettes of Houston, or Thunder Racing, and install when you get it, and forget it.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:08 AM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Haven't really heard any Cons for CLBs and you defiantly need one!! The K harness is crap!!! And it IS going to strand you,,not if ,,Just when and it sounds like it is in progress right now. Recall #2 reprograms the computer to cut fuel at 2mph with the pull key message. A CLB will help prevent this,,,but a reprogram is the only certain way to stop it 100%,, raise the cut off speed to like 250 mph!
Old 10-22-2008, 04:54 PM
HWY HNTR
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pull fuses 25 and 29 out of pass footwell and wait 30mins. NOT less.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:34 PM
joe bazan
Instructor

Default Pcm

Agree with itzza427, find a qualified tuner and tell him to change the stock setting of the PCM "theft deterrent" from the factory 2.5 mph to something like 200 mph, then at least you will never get stranded. I found a local tuner who charged me $20, took him 5 minutes...
Old 10-22-2008, 09:52 PM
HWY HNTR
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt want me car shutting off at 200mph..
Old 10-22-2008, 10:32 PM
skoorbrannug
Advanced

thanks for the help. this weekend i will pull the harness and remove the little connector, i assume it is just plugged inline with the connectors that need to be put back together. Then i guess order the part. As for a tune there is no local, but in the future with heads and cam that will be added as well. - and to think i considered waiting to fix it till spring to keep the miles down - it has been less than a week and i want to drive it allready. I don't know how some of you guys have that much patience. thanks again
Old 10-25-2008, 01:51 PM
skoorbrannug
Advanced

Thank you for the advice I removed the harness and the car ran fine - then installed the bypass and the car will continue to run fine without anymore dreaded column lock

what to do with old harness

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ageID=28934730

thank you Corvettes of Houston

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ageID=28934723
Old 10-25-2008, 03:51 PM
a_k_00
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had the same issue this week with my 2002 MN6. The first couple times I just disconnected the battery and then the car was fine, but Monday afternoon I had to get the car towed to the dealership. Before doing that, I called GM customer service. They informed me that the recall was already performed, but since I am not happy with it, they will have the district manager contact my dealer and take care of the issue. Originally they only did the reprogram on my car wich was bs, but this time around they installed the K harness, removed the locking plate, replaced some other crap and did a reprogram again and all for no charge. GM customer service called me almost everyday to make sure that the dealer is taking care of me and that everything is ok.

Get notified of new replies

To ~^*!&$@ column lock

Quick Reply: ~^*!&$@ column lock