C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Being remove

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 07:02 PM
01 stock c5
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Being remove

Hey guys, i need some help/advice on my 01 vette. So i was driving sunday i began to hear a clacking sound, it got louder and louder. Took it to Don Lee auto in Rancho and he said hes going to have to pull the motor out n put it apart to see what wrong with it. He's doing that today so depending what he says im going to have to fix the problem of course. It might be the crankshaft or Rods. Now my Question is what do you guys recomend me to do? best bank for the buck? I dont have too much money but im thinking since the enging is going to be apart at least a cam..??
Old 10-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Brad@RevXtremeAutoSports
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01 stock c5
Hey guys, i need some help/advice on my 01 vette. So i was driving sunday i began to hear a clacking sound, it got louder and louder. Took it to Don Lee auto in Rancho and he said hes going to have to pull the motor out n put it apart to see what wrong with it. He's doing that today so depending what he says im going to have to fix the problem of course. It might be the crankshaft or Rods. Now my Question is what do you guys recomend me to do? best bank for the buck? I dont have too much money but im thinking since the enging is going to be apart at least a cam..??
The best course IMO is to buy an assembled short block and go from there. With that, you can get pistons that already have valve reliefs in them and go a little larger on the cam specs if you desire. By the time you pay labor and machining costs and replacing some parts, your pretty darn close to an already assembled short block.

best of luck

Old 10-22-2008, 06:53 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 01 stock c5
Maybe before paying for the motor to be removed (is this shop qualified?), you might consider doing some preliminary testing...compression, etc.
Maybe it's something (relatively simple) like a loose rocker, broken valve spring or bent push rod.
That may only require valve cover removal to confirm. Then decide on what you should do about the motor...replacement or rebuild.
And be sure that any shop that does the work comes highly recommended by other Corvette owners. Ask for references.

Last edited by hotwheels57; 10-22-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:27 PM
01 stock c5
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, ill look into prices on assemble blocks, yeah i trust this guy pretty good, my friends and I have been taking our cars their for some time. I've seen him work on a lot of LS1/ LS6. I did get a second opinion from some one else and they said the same thing. I probably will go with a bigger cam just not sure which one yet.
Thanks again

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Being remove

Quick Reply: Engine Being remove