C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C1243 DC current measurements

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 05:52 PM
sjbrothers
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C1243 DC current measurements

I have a 98 with rear mounted EBCM/BMTV and just finished the exercise routine (thanks Bill Curlee) that has been referenced in earlier posts. Since mine was rear mounted I chose to use a battery charger as a 12 volt source and since I am a retired electrical engineer I added a DC current meter into the circuit to see what was really the condition voltage and current wise with a stuck motor and what happens afterward.
I used a fairly large wire to keep it from heating and used a spade lug to plug into pin 8.

I used the 10 amp setting on my VOM as it was the highest scale I had I also used the leads from the amp meter as a switch to apply the voltage to the motor.

Results: The initial meter reading was greater than 10 amps and the voltage from the battery charger dropped to under 10 volts. The motor ran but was indeed slow.
I continued to run it in short bursts and eventually the current came down to 5 amps and the voltage stayed at 12+ volts.
Here is a video of the final run. You can hear the motor run. It will take
55 seconds to down load with high speed.

Observations: I am a retired IBMer and based on my experience with analog and digital circuits I think what happens when C1243 is posted: the computer has sensed that the current going to the motor is higher than a predetermined setting and assumes the motor is stuck. A DC motor will draw high current when the armature is not turning and the result is the voltage drops. I think for this type of repair it is probably better to use a battery charger rather than your battery as you want to start with a lower inital current until the armature starts turning at speed. This will save the internal circuit in the BTMV (they are called land patterns) and keeps from heating the wire. If you monitor the curernt and it drops to 5 to 6 amps ( you can read this on the battery charger) then you are done.
If you want more information send me a PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ortegb01 (12-04-2022)
Old 10-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

EXCELLENT WORK and well thought out repair and explanation of the process!!

Now excercize that EBTCS more frequently!

Bill C
The following users liked this post:
Ortegb01 (12-04-2022)
Old 10-14-2008, 09:20 PM
sjbrothers
Instructor

Thanks Bill, I wanted to give something back and you were right "you get to know your baby" a little better doing this repair. Stan
Old 10-16-2008, 11:01 AM
sjbrothers
Instructor

The repair was successfully tested! Today I exercised the ABS with a hard stop from 40 miles per hour ( don't try this in the city) and the 'ABS Active' message appeared momentarily indicating it had worked as designed. Thanks to forum members that posted their experiences with this problem. Stan
Old 10-16-2008, 11:36 AM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

It will be interesting to see the longevity of this repair. I also have the same issue on my 2000. There have been other posts where the pump was exercised and if I remember correctly, it was a short term fix. Your test is unique in that you monitored both the voltage and current to determine when the motor was sufficiently exercised! Great post! Could you keep us posted? Or, I may just PM you at a later date. Thanks again for the great post.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:51 PM
sjbrothers
Instructor

Yes, I will follow up with this thread. I too am wondering what is going on in the BPMV and if it will last. The mileage is 81K and the previous owner never exercised the ABS. Thanks for compliment! Stan
Old 10-20-2008, 07:38 PM
sjbrothers
Instructor

'ABS Active' posted on DIC no other code posted. I does take a hard stop to activate.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:03 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Once the streets are WET, its a cinch! Wet streets also cause less wear and tear on the tires and suspension. I exercize mine every chance that I get wet or not!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:15 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by sjbrothers
I have a 98 with rear mounted EBCM/BMTV and just finished the exercise routine (thanks Bill Curlee) that has been referenced in earlier posts. Since mine was rear mounted I chose to use a battery charger as a 12 volt source and since I am a retired electrical engineer I added a DC current meter into the circuit to see what was really the condition voltage and current wise with a stuck motor and what happens afterward.
I used a fairly large wire to keep it from heating and used a spade lug to plug into pin 8.

I used the 10 amp setting on my VOM as it was the highest scale I had I also used the leads from the amp meter as a switch to apply the voltage to the motor.

Results: The initial meter reading was greater than 10 amps and the voltage from the battery charger dropped to under 10 volts. The motor ran but was indeed slow.
I continued to run it in short bursts and eventually the current came down to 5 amps and the voltage stayed at 12+ volts.
Here is a video of the final run. You can hear the motor run. It will take
55 seconds to down load with high speed.

Observations: I am a retired IBMer and based on my experience with analog and digital circuits I think what happens when C1243 is posted: the computer has sensed that the current going to the motor is higher than a predetermined setting and assumes the motor is stuck. A DC motor will draw high current when the armature is not turning and the result is the voltage drops. I think for this type of repair it is probably better to use a battery charger rather than your battery as you want to start with a lower inital current until the armature starts turning at speed. This will save the internal circuit in the BTMV (they are called land patterns) and keeps from heating the wire. If you monitor the curernt and it drops to 5 to 6 amps ( you can read this on the battery charger) then you are done.
If you want more information send me a PM.
Well done. My favorite part is the analog meter. I still have a Simpson 260 I keep around for working in subzero temps..
Old 10-21-2008, 06:40 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Well done. My favorite part is the analog meter. I still have a Simpson 260 I keep around for working in subzero temps..
Mike

I also have a Simpson 260, and I have a PSM-4 {That was the predecessor to the Simpson}. I also still use them every once in a while.

I wont go into the Vacuum Tube voltmeter that I have that still works.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:44 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Mike

I also have a Simpson 260, and I have a PSM-4 {That was the predecessor to the Simpson}. I also still use them every once in a while.

I wont go into the Vacuum Tube voltmeter that I have that still works.
man, an AN/PSM-4...I have not seen one of those since I was in tech school at Chanute AFB! Good memories!
Old 12-02-2008, 12:08 PM
sjbrothers
Instructor

Default December 2 update

We had rain in Carolina over the weekend so I exercised the ABS again today and I continue to get ABS Active when activated.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:47 AM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

Thanks for the update That's what I've been waiting the hear! I now know what my next project is over the winter.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:51 PM
The Wrench
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Stan, I had the intermittant C1243 on my 2000, so I did the same thing you did, and got the same results. I installed a 7.5 amp fuse in the line to start out, and it blew immediatly. Next size I had was a 15, and it held up fine. Motor took approx 10 amps initially, but after a series of 2-3 second bursts, it cleaned up, sped up, and dropped to 5-6 amps.
So far , so good.

BIG ISSUE - my 2000 has the ABS unit in the front, and it is REALLY hard to get to. I'm gonna research around and see if there is any way to tie into the motor relay line, and then just fire the motor occasionally when required. I'll start a new thread and see if anyone knows a trick. Here in Texas, we don't get much rain, and I try to not drive in it, so opportunities for "field testing" without ripping the tires off are pretty slim.

DG
Old 01-10-2009, 06:42 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

now this is awesome! I think that's the same code I get when my EBCTM acts up. Bill posted some good instructions for me to test the ground and such but I haven't found the time to work on it. when I do I think I will do this also, can you post a link to the other thread which gives details of how you hooked everything up to make the connections? mine's a 99 and will also be hard to reach, but I'll make an attempt. I've been just living with the problem for a long time.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:36 AM
The Wrench
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

McGilles, hooking it up is really easy, after you get the two modules separated. That part is straightforward, just hard to get to everything.
(hint, remove the alternator, and maybe the radiator hose).

First, check the resistance of the ground wire to the frame (it sticks right out of the left side of the module. Mine was pretty grubby, but it still read 0.1 Ohms.

If that is okay, then proceed to remove the electronic (right side) of the ABS unit. 4 torx screws, and a sneaky 5th one (it's the post under the rubber shock absorber in the middle bottom).

After the electronic module half is off, find socket # 8 on the hydraulic module, they are numbered, it's the first one in the 2nd group of sockets, bigger than the others.

You want to get 12 V to that #8 socket. Just look at the spade pin in the electronic unit that plugs into socket #8, and find/make a spade wiring connector that is about the same size. Then just hook a 3-ft wire up, with a 10-15 amp fuse to be safe.

As stated earlier, I used a battery charger with an amp meter, hooked the gnd to the negative battery post on the car, and struck the positive against the wire I fabricated.

The motor will run, probably slow, or it might blow the fuse if it's really slow. just keep contacting it for a couple seconds at a time until it loosens up a bit. Then make a few 10 second passes. It should speed up and run free. I probably did about 10 10-second runs with a cooldown between each, and she was really running nice.

Pretty simple really, just hard to get it apart.

cheers,
DG
Old 01-13-2009, 07:14 PM
sjbrothers
Instructor

My repair continues to work...no codes. Test today. I agree with 'The Wrench' in using a battery charger to power this repair. I hesitate to suggest anyone use their battery as a source for safety reasons.

Get notified of new replies

To C1243 DC current measurements

Old 01-14-2009, 12:31 PM
lp2k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, is it possible to get a list of tools required before attempting the test? like a grocery list? thanks
Old 01-14-2009, 05:29 PM
sjbrothers
Instructor

I will send you a PM
Old 01-14-2009, 06:05 PM
Fasthotrod
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow... great write up!

Mark

Quick Reply: C1243 DC current measurements