C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

traction control fuse blowing

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Lee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default traction control fuse blowing

....getting frustrated here.... My 2000 6-speed (86000 miles) is getting traction control/abs falure warnings. Occasionally, I will get this if I am sitting at a traffic light. If that happens, if I shut off the ignition and restart, it usualy goes away.

But, if I liberally apply throttle in 1st or 2nd, the wheels spin and it blows the 40 amp fuse.

About a month ago, when this first happened it coded "short to ground"
Now I do not get any codes from my code reader when it does this.(yes, the code reader works) nor can I pull any codes when the warnings are on. I took it to the dealer, who found my wallet, but not my problem. The second time they looked at it they checked the abcm module (good), the harness (good) and the brake controller (good) and assured me there was no problem. I started the car, on came the warnings and lo and behold the fuse was blown. They changed the fuse, blessed it and sent me on my way. I give up on them.

Tonight I jumped on it, the wheels spun in first and second and then the fuse blew. Still no code in the system.

Arg! Any ideas? btw, I cleaned the chassis grounds on the pass side front which helped a lot of other issues, but have not done the one on the drivers side.

Thanks, Lee
Old 09-22-2008, 03:29 PM
timemender
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The “Short To Ground” is most likely your problem as your code reader discovered.

Finding the short is the hard part. A short (all “shorts” are “to ground” by definition) will blow a fuse.

Look over the wiring harness carefully inch by inch for contact to metal (ground). I would start at the ECBM in the engine bay.

P.S. The grounds you refer to are supposed to be grounded and are not considered to be a “short”.

Quick Reply: traction control fuse blowing