C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HVAC - B0361 Left Actuator Feedback Short to GND

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 10:39 PM
adam205348
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HVAC - B0361 Left Actuator Feedback Short to GND

I have this code it is a History code and Current. I have not cleared it yet because I wanted to check to see what others input would be. What causes it and where can I check to try to fix it?

HVAC - B0361 Left Actuator Feedback Short to GND
Old 09-09-2008, 11:53 PM
bestvettever
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default AC Actuator code

Hi the code usually indicates a problem with the HVAC actuator motor. Are your ac temps at the vents , both pass and driver responding to the set temps as they should?
Good Luck
SEE BELOW for an explanation.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
DTC B0361, B0363, B0365, or B0367
Circuit Description
The following DTCs are for the left and right air temperature actuators:

B0361 and B0363 are for the left air temperature actuator
B0365 and B0367 are for the right air temperature actuator
The HVAC control module commands the air temperature actuators to move by controlling the voltage supplied on the control circuit. A signal voltage of 0 volts or a signal voltage of 5 volts rotates the air temperature actuator. A voltage of 2.5 volts stops the door. The HVAC control module determines the current position of the actuator by monitoring the voltage on the signal circuit. The feedback potentiometer is a function of the motor position. The HVAC control module controls the air temperature actuator door positions in order to maintain the selected air temperature.

Conditions for Running the DTC
The ignition is turned ON.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
The HVAC control module detects the signal circuit is less than 5 counts (0.09 V), for B0361 and B0365, or more than 250 counts (4.9 V), for B0363 and B0367.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
A default value will be used for the sensor data by the HVAC control module in an attempt to maintain the air temperature selected by the driver. This default value will be displayed on the scan tool.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC
The DTC will become history if the HVAC control module no longer detects a failure.
The history DTC will clear after 100 fault free ignition cycles.
The DTC can be cleared with a scan tool.
Diagnostic Aids
A disconnected or broken door may also set this DTC by allowing the air temperature actuator to travel to its internal stops, an overtravel condition. If condition not present, refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems.

Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

3,Tests for a default setting viewed by the scan tool.

4,Tests for the proper operation of the circuit in the high voltage range.

5,Tests for the proper operation of the circuit in the low voltage range. If the fuse in the jumper opens when you perform this test, the signal circuit is shorted to voltage.

6,Tests for a short to ground in the 5 volt reference circuit.

Step
Action
Values
Yes
No

Schematic Reference: HVAC Schematics

Connector End View Reference: HVAC Connector End Views

Did you perform the HVAC Diagnostic System Check?
--
Go to Step 2
Go to Diagnostic System Check - HVAC Systems - Automatic

Install a scan tool.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
With a scan tool, observe the appropriate Mix Mtr Position Feedback parameter in the Heating and Air Conditioning data list.
Does the scan tool indicate that the appropriate Mix Mtr Position Feedback parameter is within the specified range?
5-250 counts
Go to Step 3
Go to Step 4

Place the appropriate air temperature switch from the warmest position to the coldest position.

Does the scan tool indicate that the value of the appropriate Mix Mtr Position Feedback parameter remains near the specified value?
127 counts
Go to Step 4
Go to Diagnostic Aids

Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect the appropriate air temperature actuator.
Measure the voltage from the signal circuit of the air temperature actuator to a good ground.
Is the voltage more than the specified value?
4.90 V
Go to Step 5
Go to Step 9

Turn OFF the ignition.
Connect a 3 amp fused jumper wire between the signal circuit of the air temperature actuator and the low reference circuit of the air temperature actuator.
Measure the voltage from the jumper wire to a good ground.
Is the voltage less than the specified value?
0.09 V
Go to Step 6
Go to Step 10

Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect the fused jumper wire.
Measure the voltage from the 5 volt reference circuit at the air temperature actuator connector to a good ground.
Is the voltage more than the specified value?
4.90 V
Go to Step 8
Go to Step 7

Test the 5 volt reference circuit of the air temperature actuator for a short to ground, or an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?
--
Go to Step 16
Go to Step 13

Test the 5 volt reference circuit of the air temperature actuator for a short to voltage, a high resistance, or an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 16
Go to Step 12

Test the signal circuit of the air temperature actuator for a short to ground, or an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 16
Go to Step 13

Test the signal circuit of the air temperature actuator for a short to voltage, a high resistance, or an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 16
Go to Step 11

Test the low reference circuit of the air temperature actuator for a high resistance or an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 16
Go to Step 13

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the air temperature actuator. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 16
Go to Step 14

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the HVAC control module. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 16
Go to Step 15

Important
Perform the recalibration procedure for the air temperature actuator.

Replace the appropriate air temperature actuator. Refer to Air Temperature Actuator Replacement - Left or Air Temperature Actuator Replacement - Right .

Did you complete the replacement?
--
Go to Step 16
--

Important
Perform the recalibration procedure for the HVAC control module.

Replace the HVAC control module. Refer to HVAC Control Module Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?
--
Go to Step 16
--

Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC as specified in the supporting text.
Does the DTC reset?
--
Go to Step 2
System OK

Last edited by bestvettever; 09-09-2008 at 11:55 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:19 AM
adam205348
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bestvettever
Hi the code usually indicates a problem with the HVAC actuator motor. Are your ac temps at the vents , both pass and driver responding to the set temps as they should?
Good Luck
Currently the Temp on Both sides are the same BUT the temp of the air coming out does not always reflect what is selected on the digital display. I have posted about that problem before. Basically, when I have the temp set to 60 it blows ICE COLD but if I change the temp to just 1 degree higher to 61 then it blows as HOT as possible and continues to do so all the way up to 90. So from 61-90 there is no difference in the temp of the air coming out of the vents. But yes all the vents blow the same temp air whatever that maybe. It looks like this might be the possible culprit of that problem. Does anyone know if HP Tuners can see the same stuff that a Scan Tool that is referred to in the instructions can. I am guessing the Scan Tool they are referring to is a Tech 2 but not 100% positive.

Thanks
Old 09-10-2008, 11:29 PM
bestvettever
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default AC Temps not right

Hi, from your description my best guess is the control head is in need of repair.Do the diagnostic portion that deals with that. It is a common problem with the vette. There are guys on here that fix them , and you can also look on ebay, for a repair. If that is it, opt for a post 2001 unit as they have better components and programming to deal with some earlier problems. Do the fuse #27 recalibrate first and see if that solves the problem.
1, Battery Connected, ig off
2, pull fuse 27 ip fuse box, under pass footwell.
3, wait at least a full 60 seconds.
4, replace fuse and listen for the actuators recalibrating.
5, test system
Good luck

Last edited by bestvettever; 09-10-2008 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:03 AM
adam205348
Burning Brakes

Thank you I will definately try these things before buying a new unit. I checked my codes last night and now it showes that code as only a history code but I still have my Temp problem.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:58 PM
killacam561
Advanced

Can this make a noise the the car??right about behind the radio?
most irritating sound iv ever heard and could never figure out what is is?
I have the b0361 and b0363
Old 03-23-2013, 06:08 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by adam205348
Currently the Temp on Both sides are the same BUT the temp of the air coming out does not always reflect what is selected on the digital display. I have posted about that problem before. Basically, when I have the temp set to 60 it blows ICE COLD but if I change the temp to just 1 degree higher to 61 then it blows as HOT as possible and continues to do so all the way up to 90. So from 61-90 there is no difference in the temp of the air coming out of the vents. But yes all the vents blow the same temp air whatever that maybe. It looks like this might be the possible culprit of that problem. Does anyone know if HP Tuners can see the same stuff that a Scan Tool that is referred to in the instructions can. I am guessing the Scan Tool they are referring to is a Tech 2 but not 100% positive.

Thanks
You have a failed blend door servo motor "actuator"

Common failure and a pain to replace.

The temp you have on your digital display is the outside air and the ac temp you set.

If your outside air temp is wrong then you have a sensor at the front nose on the passenger side that has failed due to a corrosion on the connection pins. This is usually indicated by the reading stuck at 30 degrees or something crazy
Old 03-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by killacam561
Can this make a noise the the car??right about behind the radio?
most irritating sound iv ever heard and could never figure out what is is?
I have the b0361 and b0363
What kind of noise?

The servo motor has plastic gears that will crack so you may hear something along those lines of plastic teeth grinding.

if you hear a noise that sounds like a piece of paper stuck through a fan blade then you may have something stuck in the ac fan wheel located behind the glove box area.

I had a piece of the foam that surrounds wiring fall into it and it would make a nice noise at start up before being spun to the side wall of the fan.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:19 AM
keepinmyc5alive
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bestvettever
Hi, from your description my best guess is the control head is in need of repair.Do the diagnostic portion that deals with that. It is a common problem with the vette. There are guys on here that fix them , and you can also look on ebay, for a repair. If that is it, opt for a post 2001 unit as they have better components and programming to deal with some earlier problems. Do the fuse #27 recalibrate first and see if that solves the problem.
1, Battery Connected, ig off
2, pull fuse 27 ip fuse box, under pass footwell.
3, wait at least a full 60 seconds.
4, replace fuse and listen for the actuators recalibrating.
5, test system
Good luck
Hello,

Regarding the red text in your post, I'm trying to get an answer if 2000 - 2004 HVAC's are interchangeable w1th 1997-1999. The reason I'm concerned is 'cause I came across this:
http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2013...ioning-issues/
Corvette Central can repair the digital readout of the heater air control for you; just look for part number 455220. If you would rather replace the unit, you can order part number 455113 for 1998-1999 Corvettes and part number 455055 for 2000-2004 Corvettes.
I have a 1998 and everything but the back lighting was working and the display was dim. Did the 8 resistor retouching and all was fine control / bright display wise so decided to try to do some lamp replacements and guess I messed up something when the two internal boards fell off my bench. Nothing looks brokenm display was undamaged, but now have zilch when I connect it and getting left and right actuator short to ground codes - current and history -no other codes. And I had everything working 'till I decidded to try to get the ilumination to work. Haven't checked the schematic to see if I caused a solder short or can effect a repair, but I can get a decent price on a used 2003 HVAC versus buying a reman at $300+ (I don't think there are internal schematics for the HVAC available anyway, so other then going by pinouts and backtracking for shorts I'm stuck having to replace it. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by keepinmyc5alive; 11-02-2015 at 02:20 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To HVAC - B0361 Left Actuator Feedback Short to GND

Quick Reply: HVAC - B0361 Left Actuator Feedback Short to GND