C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review of LG Coilovers, in short: I love them!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Alex1217
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Review of LG Coilovers, in short: I love them!!!

I recently purchased a set of LG Coilovers from my friend Wicked Weasel @ ECS, he upgraded to a set of Penske Coilovers and I jumped at the chance to buy his coilovers since they were practically new and I've seen firsthand how his vette handles both on a roadcourse and on the street. I've been using a set of 04 Z06 shocks and, although they are very good shocks, there were compromises that come with most shock/leafsprings setups. Since I had my vette lowered all the way on stock bolts, the ride was a bit harsh, especially on NYC streets. Worse, I was constantly fighting bump steer (when the steering goes in the direction of the grooves in a worn road), due, again, to the lowered suspension. On the track, they performed very well but I've been doing more and more road race events and I wanted something more.

What a difference!!!! I was kinda scared that the ride would get even more harsh but I had taken a ride in Wicked Weasel's vette and the ride was pretty nice. Well, now that I have the LG coilovers in, I can tell you, it's a dream to drive my vette again!! The ride is still firm and precise but you no longer get that bumpy or floaty feel on less than perfect roads. You can go up to triple digits and not even realize how fast you are going now till you look at the HUD (not a good thing in my case ). The bump steer is totally gone. Wherever you aim the vette, it goes there, the steering feels more precise too. When you hit a bump, especially on turns, the vette no longer feels choppy, without leaf springs, the individual coil spring absorbs the impact and leaves the other wheel alone. Best of all, I was able to lower my vette another inch, I would have had to cut the bushings on my old setup to get that ride height which would have made the ride a nightmare.

I had the vette corner weighted and aligned with the proper camber and toe after the install, I can't wait to see how the LG's perform on the track! Next week, I'm going to Watkins Glen for a road race event, I'll get to really see the difference in suspension then.

Here's a few pics of the install, if you're on the fence on whether to go with coilovers, don't give it a second thought, go for it!!

Up in the air, so long leaf springs!!

LG Coilovers in, they even match my paint.

My old setup. Surprisingly, by going with coilovers, you reduce overall weight. The coilovers are slightly heavier than standard shocks but when accounting for the loss of the leaf springs, it makes up for it. Everyone always wonders why GM just doesn't go with coilovers since most modern Sports Cars use them. Most believe it's because, with a traverse leaf spring setup the bulk of the suspension weight is at the bottom center of the vette rather than at the corners. Alot of coilovers have the spring mounted on the top of the shock which puts most of the weight higher up, LG coilovers have their weight closer to the bottom which allows a more balanced weight distribution.

The LG coilovers are totally rebuildable, using Bilstein shocks, they are easily serviceable as well. In fact, the driver side front nitrogen gas pressure was a little low (you could tell Wicked Weasel really slams on the brakes on those road racing events ), we checked the pressure and topped it off. The valve is easily accessible.

I can't wait to get back on the road this weekend!! If you see a blue vette taking some sharp turns around the NYC area, it most likely will be me.

Last edited by Alex1217; 08-22-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:51 AM
nickolbag
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex1217
Surprisingly, by going with coilovers, you reduce overall weight.

How much weight are we talking about? :
Old 08-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Alex1217
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by nickolbag
How much weight are we talking about? :
It's not much, about 1-2 lbs. Of course, the big debate is whether the difference in weight distribution makes any difference during a quarter mile run. Guess I'll have to go to the track and find out.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:36 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Very cool Alex.

are you selling the 04 Z shocks?
Old 08-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Alex1217
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Capthuff
Very cool Alex.

Actually, I am.

Haven't made the thread yet but if you're interested, you'll save me the trouble and I can even meet up with you somewhere so we don't have to ship it.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:51 PM
1%r
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 through '17

Originally Posted by Capthuff
Very cool Alex.

Love my Pfadt coil overs, if you want my 04 shocks are for sale.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Alex1217
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by jersey jay
Love my Pfadt coil overs, if you want my 04 shocks are for sale.
Quit trying to steal my sale Jay!!!
Old 08-22-2008, 02:41 PM
nickolbag
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex1217
It's not much, about 1-2 lbs. Of course, the big debate is whether the difference in weight distribution makes any difference during a quarter mile run. Guess I'll have to go to the track and find out.
I'd be interested in the results.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Konstantin
Pro

Alex, can you do me a favour ? can you measure the dimensions on the end of the front leaf spring , like height and width of the end of the spring ? i want to get a rubber hose that would go over the spring and remove the adjusting bolts, as i can not afford the coilovers right now, but would like to get the right hose before i undo my front end to measure. i hope u enderstand what measurement i need.

thanks

- Kons
Old 08-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Do you know if these are similar to the Callaway coilovers? I beliebe they use Eibach shocks, but am not certain. How about cost? Does anyone know how the two brands compare - costwise? I'm thinking about getting a set one of these days and the fact that you have eliminated side-hopping is good news! Thanks for the review.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:30 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Is your coilover hitting your tie rod in the back? By the looks of the picture it most be close or hitting. I had problems when I tried coilovers.

thanks,
Steve
Old 08-22-2008, 06:29 PM
Alex1217
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
Is your coilover hitting your tie rod in the back? By the looks of the picture it most be close or hitting. I had problems when I tried coilovers.

thanks,
Steve
In the pic, it looks like it but there was a tiny bit of space between it when it was up in the air. When we set it on the ground, I looked and there was enough space. I've heard no squeeks or anything else that would lead me to believe they are hitting and Wicked Weasel who had them for a while didn't have any problems with the LG coilovers hitting the tie rods either.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:32 PM
Alex1217
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Konstantin
Alex, can you do me a favour ? can you measure the dimensions on the end of the front leaf spring , like height and width of the end of the spring ? i want to get a rubber hose that would go over the spring and remove the adjusting bolts, as i can not afford the coilovers right now, but would like to get the right hose before i undo my front end to measure. i hope u enderstand what measurement i need.

thanks

- Kons

I'll find out for you.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:07 PM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Those sound awesome Alex. I remember you saying how much you wanted them when we were talking at Heavenly. I recently did the Pfadts (also got a good used deal ) and LOVE the improvement. Plus I still daily drive my car and find the coilovers just as easy to live with every day. Even the lowering hasn't really made the car any more difficult to drive. I just enter parking lots slower now.

Got any obligatory cool pics of how your car looks ridin' low?
Old 08-23-2008, 01:24 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Alex glad everything worked out for you.

I ran the LGs for a little of a year and wanted the next level so went with Hardbar Penske Coilover system which is unbelievable, but I never had an issue with the LGs on the street or on the track.

Many ECS cars now have the pfadts and they are really good too, but at the time I bought my LGs the pfadts were not yet proven. Not sure which I would go with now, but probably the one I get the best deal on.

Many people think that coilovers are too harsh for the street, but I found them to be really a nice ride on the street even these northeast pothole filled streets.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:08 PM
tcal95z
Instructor

Do the coil overs help with wheel hop at the strip like the Hals do?
Old 08-23-2008, 07:32 PM
Alex1217
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by tcal95z
Do the coil overs help with wheel hop at the strip like the Hals do?
I've heard that supposedly they do, although I haven't had a chance to test it out yet. Then again, I never had much wheel hop at the track to begin with.

Get notified of new replies

To Review of LG Coilovers, in short: I love them!!!

Quick Reply: Review of LG Coilovers, in short: I love them!!!