C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to suck seafoam through the throttle body, pic included...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Blu
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where to suck seafoam through the throttle body, pic included...

Ok this evening Im planning to get the gf to help me seafoam my 80k mile H/C car. I have attached a pic to see which line I need to disconnect to suck the seafoam out of the can. I have Bill's write up on how to do it but I just want to make sure I have all my basis covered so I can have someone help me that not mechanically inclined haha. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:59 PM
EStreeter
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is where the PCV line on my stock intake goes. I pull the line an attach a tube to the intake with a funnel at the other end and slowly pour in the SeaFoam. I guess the FAST intake is the same.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:04 PM
Corvette Don
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

^^ Thats where I did mine
Old 07-21-2008, 04:08 PM
RBChallenger
Racer

Can you post a link to the instructions? What are the dangers in this as I would also like to do this to my car. Thanks!!!
Old 07-21-2008, 04:26 PM
Blu
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by EStreeter
That is where the PCV line on my stock intake goes. I pull the line an attach a tube to the intake with a funnel at the other end and slowly pour in the SeaFoam. I guess the FAST intake is the same.
you're the man! thanks buddy!
Old 07-21-2008, 04:28 PM
Blu
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RBChallenger
Can you post a link to the instructions? What are the dangers in this as I would also like to do this to my car. Thanks!!!
here is the method I will be using...

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Ok,,,we need to clear things up. First off, you need to use a vacuum source as close to the TB as possible. That way sea Foam will enter more cylinders than if you used a vacuum source at the rear of the manifold.

Start up and warm the engine. You also need to have some one hold the engine RPM at approx 1000-1500 RPMs while doing the seafoam thing. While the engine is running, put the hose in the can and begin sucking out sea foam. Once you have about 1/4 of the can gone, have the person turn the ignition to OFF while you continue to allow the engine vacuum to suck out RAW seafoam. Now you will have raw sea foan in the cylinders and it can do its thing! Let that seafoam sit over night and then the next morning start her back up. Dont forget to reconnect the vacuum line.

BC
Old 07-21-2008, 05:56 PM
RBChallenger
Racer

Let me know how this works out for you... and are there any dangers in this?
Old 07-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Todd157k
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For those that don't know.. your car will BILLOW out CLOUDS of white smoke the next day. It's normal, just be aware of it. I suggest getting out there early in the morning and push it down the street a little way.. then start it.

oh, it also spits crap out so don't do it in your driveway.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:50 PM
reed39
Instructor

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpConsumer.htm
Old 07-21-2008, 08:26 PM
RBChallenger
Racer

Originally Posted by Todd157k
For those that don't know.. your car will BILLOW out CLOUDS of white smoke the next day. It's normal, just be aware of it. I suggest getting out there early in the morning and push it down the street a little way.. then start it.

oh, it also spits crap out so don't do it in your driveway.
So there is no "dont let it die or you will kil your motor" or anything along those lines that accompany this? I'm all for doing this as I'd love to cut the carbon and clean things up and I am big fan of seafoam. I just wanted to make sure there was no way I could harm anything. Thanks and sorry to be that nagging little kid.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:09 PM
EStreeter
Burning Brakes

GM use to have a top end cleaner that was similar to sea foam - last time I went to a dealer to get it they said it wasn't availabale any more but hey had a substitute product. The Top End Cleaner can had specific instructions:

Warm engine to operating tempertaure. Hook up a hose with a funnel to the vacuum line of the intake. Slowly pour the contents of the can into the intake. Do not let the engine die but it will start to stumble and miss during application. I put a vise grip on the hose so I could fill the funnel and the vacuum would slowly suck the fluid through at an even rate.

When the the can is almost empty, pour the remainder in quickly to stall the engine. Let sit over night.

After starting the engine will smoke badly for about 5 - 10 minutes. Take car out on the highway to blow out carbon and other debris loosened by the treatment.

My car smoked like a mosquito fogger and the the rear end was covered with black soot when I back from my drive.

Now I try to go out before day light the next morning. Its embarrassing to drive a vette when its smoking like that.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:55 PM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Please let us know how this stuff works out?
DZ
Old 07-22-2008, 12:21 AM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by RBChallenger
So there is no "dont let it die or you will kil your motor" or anything along those lines that accompany this? I'm all for doing this as I'd love to cut the carbon and clean things up and I am big fan of seafoam. I just wanted to make sure there was no way I could harm anything. Thanks and sorry to be that nagging little kid.
YES you can harm your engine if you do the sea foam incorrectly
Old 07-22-2008, 01:22 AM
veni vidi vert
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Ok, I'm ready to do this also, but the pour it in until it kills it part really makes me nervous..

I like the idea of the vice grips though.. Kinda like an IV drip...

Is having a person kill the engine just as good?
Old 07-22-2008, 01:51 AM
Bandit2187
Heel & Toe

im defeinatley interested in doing this, document how you did with a camera if you can, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-22-2008, 02:36 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 77 Likes on 73 Posts

Seafoam is the best kept secret in the automotive community. Used for years in Europe, seafoam keeps the engine squeeky clean, restores power, and repairs cracked rings. It is also commonly used for rapid weight loss, cellulite reduction, speed reading, drain cleaning, and home schooling. Truly a miracle in a can.

oh, almost forgot....a very effective laxative......enjoy
Old 07-22-2008, 07:44 AM
9secondflat
Melting Slicks

i ran the gm cleaner in my 87 ttype...man that sucker would smoke out the entire block.. no lie cars that would follow me would vanish in the white smoke...it looks like a blown headgasket x 10,000

Get notified of new replies

To Where to suck seafoam through the throttle body, pic included...

Old 07-22-2008, 10:35 AM
EStreeter
Burning Brakes

During my last seafoam treatment it was going in too fast and the motor died. It started right back up again and I finished pouring in the rest of the can.

I think if you over do it and you can't restart your done and will have to wait the required time (a few hours or over night) to start it back up and then blow out the junk.

If you over wet the plugs you won't have any ignition but its not like having a water hydro lock. The seafoam will absorb into the carbon and loosen the deposits as it sits in the cylinders. It is combustible and your engine will start again as soon as the plugs dry.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Blu
Melting Slicks

Some of you guys are talking about using funnels? Won't the pvc line pointed out create vacuum and suck it out of the can without needing to pour anything?
Old 07-22-2008, 12:03 PM
EStreeter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Blu
Some of you guys are talking about using funnels? Won't the pvc line pointed out create vacuum and suck it out of the can without needing to pour anything?
I guess you could do it that way. I have always put a hose with a funnel on the intake fitting and poured the stuff in. That is what a dealer told me do the first time I did it and it worked fine.

There is probably a number of ways it can be done that would work fine. The seafoam can also suggests adding a can to the tank on a regular basis to clean the fuel system and the cylinders.

Whatever works.

Quick Reply: Where to suck seafoam through the throttle body, pic included...