C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is the worst place to buy a Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 12:26 AM
rfgoss1
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Where is the worst place to buy a Corvette?

My vote is for Landmark Chevrolet in Houston. Dealership uses bait and switch tactics and marks up Z06's 10K over list. What a place. Stay away if you value your money. I am trying to buy my son a Camaro for his 16th birthday. They advertised 12,990 for a new 2002. I called and they said sure, we have plenty. What color, I said blue, black, red, etc. He said let me look, and then said sure we have a blue one. I said, please don't make me drive 45 minutes to get there and then say you don't have one or it was sold. He said no, come on. Guess what? Oh, this car is not one of the ones for 12,990. They suck. Period. :smash: :mad :boxing
Old 12-27-2001, 12:31 AM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: Where is the worst place to buy a Corvette? (rfgoss1)

My vote is for Landmark Chevrolet in Houston. Dealership uses bait and switch tactics and marks up Z06's 10K over list. What a place. Stay away if you value your money. I am trying to buy my son a Camaro for his 16th birthday. They advertised 12,990 for a new 2002. I called and they said sure, we have plenty. What color, I said blue, black, red, etc. He said let me look, and then said sure we have a blue one. I said, please don't make me drive 45 minutes to get there and then say you don't have one or it was sold. He said no, come on. Guess what? Oh, this car is not one of the ones for 12,990. They suck. Period. :smash: :mad :boxing

Agreed. They suck bad. Their known as Landshark. Try some of the other dealers around here. I'm sure you can get someone to match Landmark's offer.

Old 12-27-2001, 12:55 AM
1SGRET
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

A juckyard. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 12-27-2001, 01:02 AM
ZAP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Where is the worst place to buy a Corvette? (99hrdtop)

Any Andersons dealer in the bay area. :smash: :nono:
Old 12-27-2001, 04:46 AM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Where is the worst place to buy a Corvette? (ZAP)

Did you really believe $12990 for a new Camaro, or is that a typo?

[Modified by steve hummel, 8:06 AM 12/27/2001]
Old 12-27-2001, 06:05 AM
molon labe
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Where is the worst place to buy a Corvette? (steve hummel)

Did you really believe $12990 for a new Z06, or is that a typo?
i think he was looking for a V6 camaro for 12990.
Old 12-27-2001, 08:20 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

I talked to Landmark Chevrolet when I bought my Corvettes. The first time was in 1991, and than again in 1999. Both times I ended up buying at Courtesy Chevrolet.
Old 12-27-2001, 08:40 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Default Re: Where is the worst place to buy a Corvette? (Tom/99)

In Virginia, never go to any of the Charlie Falks. They are known for rip offs. Interest rates of 50% are not uncommon on their loans.
Old 12-27-2001, 09:26 AM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

From word of mouth I've heard nothing but horror story's about Superior Chevrolet Used cars. In fact 1 in 5 people I know would actually buy from them again.
Old 12-27-2001, 09:40 AM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Charles West Chev in Maryville, Tn! They charge $5000 OVER sticker price on new Vettes. (they call it market adjustment)

Also, they will ruin the car the first time you bring it in for service. They ALWAYS manage to damage something.

Tom
Old 12-27-2001, 09:49 AM
Mark S.
Safety Car

In my opinion, most small car lots. Usually the best "cared for" Vettes are on the dealer lots (having been traded in for another Vette, etc.).
Old 12-27-2001, 10:00 AM
vette.se
Drifting

I would say in Sweden :D

If you would make the mistake to buy the car at a local dealer in Sweden you would have to wait 8-9 months for delivery. You would only be able to buy the coupe and convertible versions and the cheapest version is $55K. Most of the Corvettes in Sweden is bought from Germany or directly from the US.

[Modified by seanr, 3:01 PM 12/27/2001]
Old 12-27-2001, 10:20 AM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Well I've never been to Houston but I think many dealers use bait and switch and other unethical tactics. As far as unprofessionalism, however, I always wind up walking from LOU BACHRODT Chevrolet in South Fla. When I was looking for a '92, they had a pre-owned with 5800 miles that ther were selling above sticker!!! Then I had to twist their arm to let me test drive a C5 a few years ago! Their markups are ridiculous and they never discount off sticker.

Its funny, they always advertise the lowest possible price and will beat any deal. What a bunch of c r a p. Unfortunately they've always been the closest dealership to where I live. Fortunately there are 3 other Chevy Dealers not far from me.
Old 12-27-2001, 10:34 AM
ambitin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: Where is the worst place to buy a Corvette? (rschiltz)

Ditto Landmark Chevrolet! I bought my C5 there but haven't been back since. I had to sit there and F with the salesman all day before he would sell me the car at MSRP. He told me that asking for the car for less than MSRP was the equivalent of "cursing in church".

So I finally get the guy to agree to MSRP and then at the last minute in the paperwork they sneak in some "coupon book" bullshit for $400??? I was like "where did this come from". So I start asking about it and he's telling me what a great deal is and how it'll save me thousands and how it is a mandatory purchase with every new car they sell. Doh. I finally bought the **** because I wanted the car and it was nearly 11pm. Anyways, the coupon book has coupons for things like "have your tires rotated". Or $10 off an oil change between Sept 1 1999 and Dec 1 1999. So most of them expire very quickly if you miss your window.

They were also supposed to give me $200 in customer referals and I had to call and call before I got it. And I never did get the two free oil changes that they promised me (in writing).

Anyways, it was not a pleasureable experience but I love my car.

As for the markup, you just tell them to go F themselves and you can get by without it.

Lates,
Justin
Old 12-27-2001, 10:57 AM
Corvette SSX
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I have to agree that Landmark is the worst, followed closely by Bill Heard (they are owned by the same company and both suck big time). I've bought so many cars from them though, that they actually will discount Vettes now.

Bill Heard's service department is pretty good, but stay away from Landmark's body shop. It is the most incompetent shop I've ever seen. It took them 3 tries to install the middle spoiler and metal frame that it attaches to on my car. The first time it was upside down. The next time it was backwards. Finally, they went to look at one on the showroom floor to see how to properly attach it and got it right. What a bunch of clowns! :jester :jester
Old 12-27-2001, 11:48 AM
rfgoss1
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Where is the worst place to buy a Corvette? (steve hummel)

Please! a Vette of any kind new for 12,990? ONly in my dreams. I was talking about an advertised price for a V-6 Camaro coupe. Stripped. Perfect for a teenager. :cheers:
Old 12-27-2001, 12:18 PM
THENAKEDi
Burning Brakes

From my experience, Tustin Chevrolet in California. Especially do not order from them... They are liars when it comes to allocations they possess. Also, their service department knows nothing about working on Vettes. They told me to take my car somewhere else, where they have the knowledge and time to work on my car. Yeah, right. Steer clear of this place, my brothers (and sisters).

Get notified of new replies

To Where is the worst place to buy a Corvette?

Old 12-27-2001, 02:16 PM
molon labe
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Where is the worst place to buy a Corvette? (JoeyG)

From word of mouth I've heard nothing but horror story's about Superior Chevrolet Used cars. In fact 1 in 5 people I know would actually buy from them again.
shut up Joey! i bought two cars from them. just make sure you go to the new car lot and get Larry Haynes to sell it to you.

and change that to 2 out of 6 now. :D
Old 12-27-2001, 02:21 PM
molon labe
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Where is the worst place to buy a Corvette? (JoeyG)

and Superior Chevrolet Used Cars can't be that bad if they let a long haired tattooed freak like me test drive every Viper, Z06, and modded C5 on the lot. except for that one salesman, none of them complained when i nailed 120mph during the test drive either. try that at any other dealership in the world. heck, let me know when you find ANY dealer who will let you test drive a Viper. Superior rules in my book.
Old 12-27-2001, 04:49 PM
0COHMATT
Former Vendor

Default Re: Where is the worst place to buy a Corvette? (Mark S.)

In my opinion, most small car lots. Usually the best "cared for" Vettes are on the dealer lots (having been traded in for another Vette, etc.).
:bs :bs

Quick Reply: Where is the worst place to buy a Corvette?