C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wideband vs Narrowband A/F meters

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 12:13 AM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury

unless I misunderstood the question...

you cannot "wire-in" a wideband sensor to the factory harness - in place of a narrow band. Narrow band sensors output zero to 1 volt. Wideband output zero to 5 volts.

What can be done is to purchase a conversion splittter that takes the wideband output and splits it; one output gives the full zero to 5 volt signal to your Wideband meter/logger, the other output is scaled down to simulate a zero to 1 volt output... and this can then be wired into the factory harness (and takes the place of the narrow band sensor.

I have never heard of a sensor that output both... always needing external circuitry to simulate the narrowband output - as well as still providing the wideband voltage range for meters and loggers.
Most wideband controllers that you can purchase today have a 0-1 volt analog output, as well as the normal 0-5 volt output. The analog output ties into the factory wiring that goes to the PCM from your original narrowband sensor that you replaced. This allows you to replace the narrowband with your wideband sensor instead of welding in an extra bung. It's the perfect setup if you are mounting the wideband in your car permanently.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Vette-Dream
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000C-5
Most wideband controllers that you can purchase today have a 0-1 volt analog output, as well as the normal 0-5 volt output. The analog output ties into the factory wiring that goes to the PCM from your original narrowband sensor that you replaced. This allows you to replace the narrowband with your wideband sensor instead of welding in an extra bung. It's the perfect setup if you are mounting the wideband in your car permanently.
Would you know if the Bosch O2 sensor has this dual capability? I'll try to look it up, as it's the one that seems to come with most wideband gauge/kits that I saw while shopping for mine. As mine is being shipped still, I can't check it, but if anyone knows for sure that would be great information.

EDIT: I just re-read what you said. It's not the sensor itself that has the dual feature, it is the particular controller that would have it. Innovative's LM-1 I can see does provide this dual output via the wideband controller itself.

Last edited by Vette-Dream; 07-02-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:50 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette-Dream
Would you know if the Bosch O2 sensor has this dual capability?
it's not in the "sensor"

It's external circuitry that electronically splits the WB sensors signal, then re-scales one of the outputs to zero-1v for the cars PCM... while the other output provides the zero-5v signal for a wideband meter or logging device.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:30 AM
sacsrpc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jirasvet
Greg Banish

Old 07-02-2008, 10:59 AM
jirasvet
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sacsrpc
What did I miss that is so funny?
Old 07-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Benpup
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Just pick up some O2 simulators and be done with it.
39 bucks each.
O2 Simulator, GM 4 Wire (1996-2003)

OBDII cars have two oxygen sensors to measure the amount of oxygen contained in the exhaust gas. The first sensor is located on the manifold or header and measures O2 content of the exhaust as it escapes from the cylinders. This sensor is used by the PCM to calculate fuel trims and look for combustion problems. The second oxygen sensor is located after the catalytic converter and is used only to detect the performance of the converter. The PCM does NOT use any data from the secondary O2 sensor for engine management. The PCM will set an SES (service engine soon) light (for DTC's P0140, P0141 and/or P0420) if the catalytic converter is removed, the sensor is removed, or the sensor goes bad.

The O2 simulator is a plug-in replacement for the secondary O2 sensor that will provide the PCM with a signal that emulates a healthy cat. An extremely compact circuit board (.6 x .6 inches) is molded into the end of the connector to provide the most compact and water resistant simulator on the market. This circuit provides the signal to the PCM and also simulates an o2 heater load for the more advanced PCMs.

Installs in less than 10 minutes and does not require any tools. The O2 simulator is standalone and as such does not need to be located anywhere near the exhaust system. It is further recommended that the harness connecting to the o2 simulator be coiled up and cable tied (with included cable tie) away from the hot exhaust that could damage the casing of the simulator if it comes in contact with it. It also prevents obstacles in the road from catching on the harness wire if left unchecked. Some vehicles such as F-bodies with front dual exhaust have four oxygen sensors and require two simulators per vehicle.

For off-road use only.

Applications: Most 1997-2003 GM OBDII passenger vehicles should be able to use this configuation. Please double check your o2 sensor and compare it to the chart below to identify the type you need. Types 5 & 8 are not in use yet.

Attention GM truck owners: If you have 2 sensors you must check both of them to confirm the type you need from our chart. The trucks vary a lot and we have even seen 2 different types on the same truck. On type 2 and 4 pay attention to whether your sensor has plastic guide inside the tube on one side or both sides between the pins.

Problem Vehicles: We have issues with the 2000-2003 5.3l Sierra, Silverado, Suburban trucks using the type 2 or 4 simulator. Also, the 2003 Chevy S10 and 2002 Cavalier. The current version of the simulator does not work with these vehicles. Simulators do not work on Saturn vehicles. We recommend owners wait until we have the new version available which will hopefully be sometime in the summer (2008).

Quick Reply: Wideband vs Narrowband A/F meters